There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(10-07-2024, 11:27 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 09:18 PM)Rabubi Wrote:
(10-06-2024, 04:20 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-06-2024, 10:15 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Mohawk Avoca with the two Nkuhuma males at KNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Nina

These boys always be looking so full, we know they’re great hunters already but I’m starting to think maybe the access to prey they have is just that much better. I know obviously KNP is way bigger than Sabi Sands but it’s not like they are completely nomadic going through multiple territories, they’re trying to settle down and become dominant around a certain place. S.Avocas were also always in great condition and they obviously had territory in Skukuza and Rhino Post specifically atleast for part of their reign but we never seen as far North East as these boys have been seen.

I'm just speculating here but it could be that the general area around eastern SS and southern Kruger is one of the more fertile and productive parts of the region and thus supports a higher density of herbivores. If that is the case, then Mohawk and his sons have better access to prey where they are.

Southern Kruger genes have dominated Sabi Sands recently, Gijimas, N'was, PC males all come from that general region

True my friend, the current dominant duos have been a great shot of new blood for the SS lion population which has had mostly Timbavati-born males up until that point.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

1/2 Nkuhuma males. The blonder male (Chela's boy) displaying assertive behavior as he roars and scent marks, definitly attempting to make his presence known in the area. This boys are bold and mean business, no doubts. 
11 users Like Ngonya's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-10-2024, 10:02 PM by BA0701 )

Ridge Nose son, these ppl have been blessed with so many sightings of these boys in a short amount of time, I guess that further goes onto support the point about these males striving to be territorial, they may already well be. U wouldn’t see so many sightings of these males in such a short amount of time if they were just ordinary nomads, these boys want to be seen no matter if it’s humans or lions alike.

11 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-10-2024, 09:40 PM)KM600 Wrote: Ridge Nose son, these ppl have been blessed with so many sightings of these boys in a short amount of time, I guess that further goes onto support the point about these males striving to be territorial, they may already well be. U wouldn’t see so many sightings of these males in such a short amount of time if they were just ordinary nomads, these boys want to be seen no matter if it’s humans or lions alike.

I fixed your link for you. They are very fortunate, to get so many sightings in a single trip.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Fenix123 Offline

Mohawk Avoca was seen 

Photo by Wesley Hill

7 users Like Fenix123's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2024, 10:02 AM by Mapokser )

By "Irvin Too Damn Gud" at FB, I hope someone can share the videos. The 2 Nkuhuma males in Kruger, supposedly Mohawk was there too but I can't see him, and in the video someone only mentions 2 males:

Honestly idk if RN's son ( on the right ) is any taller than Chela's boy:

Chela's son in the front:

They look similar in size, be it height or overall weight, but RN's almost 5,5, while Chela's still 4 and something, so I'd bet Chela's will be bigger in his prime, in fact, I can only imagine he'll look like a beast with a full mane because even at his age and with a small mane he ( and his brother ) looks incredible, I think they'll dwarf their father if we get to see them side by side.

Hell, I think they might be the biggest sons of the Avocas, even more than their Talamati brother who IIRC is a bit older than RN's son. Theyt also look more impressive than their PC young cousin.

A shame the older Talamati male died, he'd also be up there, I don't think he looked as big as Chela's at the same age, but once he reached 5 he was looking like a beast, more impressive than the Nkuhuma Bboy son.
6 users Like Mapokser's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Hate reading dm Jr died,  starting to think  people were correct in thinking Gijimas caught him
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Go131810 Offline

(10-13-2024, 10:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: By "Irvin Too Damn Gud" at FB, I hope someone can share the videos. The 2 Nkuhuma males in Kruger, supposedly Mohawk was there too but I can't see him, and in the video someone only mentions 2 males:

They look similar in size, be it height or overall weight, but RN's almost 5,5, while Chela's still 4 and something, so I'd bet Chela's will be bigger in his prime, in fact, I can only imagine he'll look like a beast with a full mane because even at his age and with a small mane he ( and his brother ) looks incredible, I think they'll dwarf their father if we get to see them side by side.

Hell, I think they might be the biggest sons of the Avocas, even more than their Talamati brother who IIRC is a bit older than RN's son. Theyt also look more impressive than their PC young cousin.

A shame the older Talamati male died, he'd also be up there, I don't think he looked as big as Chela's at the same age, but once he reached 5 he was looking like a beast, more impressive than the Nkuhuma Bboy son.

How old is the young Plain Camp male lion? I thought he was pretty big and maybe a bit younger? Or are they around the same age as the young plain camp male lion. I wonder how he is doing.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-13-2024, 10:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Hell, I think they might be the biggest sons of the Avocas, even more than their Talamati brother who IIRC is a bit older than RN's son. Theyt also look more impressive than their PC young cousin.

We cant know that without seeing them next to each others.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Rui Ferreira Offline

(10-13-2024, 10:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: By "Irvin Too Damn Gud" at FB, I hope someone can share the videos. The 2 Nkuhuma males in Kruger, supposedly Mohawk was there too but I can't see him, and in the video someone only mentions 2 males:

Than Chela's Boy really grow up in the last few months, because I remember watching a video of them in Kruger many months ago and we could see the two side by side, and RN's dwarfed his brother in height, even tho Chela's was already bulkier 
Neither Blondie or Dark Mane were small lions 
I do wonder if RN's isnt Dark Manes due to the sheer size, either that or the Matimba genes kicked in like crazy with these guys 
I do think that is the case, because if we look at the 2,5 yo Nkuhuma Breakaway, he will not be that different if not more impressive than his half brother
1 user Likes Rui Ferreira's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

(10-13-2024, 10:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Honestly idk if RN's son ( on the right ) is any taller than Chela's boy:
The blonder male certainly grew a bit during the past few months. As @Rui Ferreira says, the darker boy used to dwarf him a bit in terms of height during previous months. But now we can barely see any difference, even thought i think its still visible the darker male is taller thought
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 that's why I said "I think", "they might", and "they look", instead of "they're bigger for sure, it's a fact".

@Rui Ferreira I remember that video and I was in doubt if RN's was truly taller, it looked like it when they bumped heads, but after that it looked to me like Chela's was just with his head down.

It's very unlikely an over 4yo lion would grow so much in height.

As for who's the father, any of the 3 N.Avocas might be the one, though I think, based on looks, Mohawk is the best candidate, face wise he looks like a mix of Mohawk and Hairy Belly.

Anyway, Mohawk being small doesn't mean his son will also be small, in the same way I don't think Ridge Nose was a big lioness, but she had good genes for size.

As for the NK Breakaway sub, there's the fact his fathers are the PCM who are also huge. IMO this sub has the potential to be some of the biggest males we've seen, his size at just before turning 2, being much bigger than his mother, was very impressive.

Still it could be that he won't grow as much later on, for example the Styx young male seemed small for his age, barely bigger than his sisters despite being 3yo, but suddenly he grew a lot and is much bigger than K12, so lions may grow a lot earlier on or later on.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Rui Ferreira Offline

(10-13-2024, 08:13 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 that's why I said "I think", "they might", and "they look", instead of "they're bigger for sure, it's a fact".

@Rui Ferreira I remember that video and I was in doubt if RN's was truly taller, it looked like it when they bumped heads, but after that it looked to me like Chela's was just with his head down.

It's very unlikely an over 4yo lion would grow so much in height.

As for who's the father, any of the 3 N.Avocas might be the one, though I think, based on looks, Mohawk is the best candidate, face wise he looks like a mix of Mohawk and Hairy Belly.

Anyway, Mohawk being small doesn't mean his son will also be small, in the same way I don't think Ridge Nose was a big lioness, but she had good genes for size.

As for the NK Breakaway sub, there's the fact his fathers are the PCM who are also huge. IMO this sub has the potential to be some of the biggest males we've seen, his size at just before turning 2, being much bigger than his mother, was very impressive.

Still it could be that he won't grow as much later on, for example the Styx young male seemed small for his age, barely bigger than his sisters despite being 3yo, but suddenly he grew a lot and is much bigger than K12, so lions may grow a lot earlier on or later on.

Lovely input
Nutrition surely must play a role in growth 
Lions who obviously are well fed and dont have any health problems grow stronger and more likely to reach the genetic potential ( as all living beings obviously) 
So lions like Styx Young male or even Chela's Boy who suffered pretty badly from mange when he was a cub IIRC ,might had a "delayed growth" ( for lack of a better term)
And just started developing really quickly with regular big meals and improved immune system 
( Anyway just a tought/teory of mine) 

About the Nkuhuma Breakaway
I cant wait to see him fully developed
It probably would be too good to be true for him later in the beggining of his nomadic life ( if his sister doesnt stay with him until he Is 6 like we saw in other situations)
to join with the other Nkuhuma young male/ Styx Male and such...
By that time if everything goes well you would have many Kambula males who are only 6/7 months younger also roaming around 

Oh sorry noticed now this is the Avoca thread, got off topic in this last paragraph my bad
3 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma young males at KNP with their buffalo kill, Mohawk was definitly noy there

by Kathryn 
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Yeah, unfortunately there's probably no future for Mohawk with his sons because he clearly is retired, he isn't in the mood for trying to be territorial, he probably isn't comfortable competing with his younger, stronger sons.

It's interesting that some males like Nhenha still had that fire to try to be territorial, even after losing all his brothers and bonding with a son he didn't even remember, however most males like Mohawk, after being ousted in old age, they retire and just try to enjoy their last years in peace.