There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

Friarfan619 Offline

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like Friarfan619's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-14-2024, 04:57 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 . Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage. Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.

He’s from Avoca but if different generation.

I have been treating him as a “Timbavati lion.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(06-14-2024, 05:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

I would much prefer if this male stayed with Khanya for the time being. Been getting seen a few times by himself recently, much more than he use to.
2 users Like KM600's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-14-2024, 05:35 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 05:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Nkuhuma YM from the 2021 generation here a few days ago w a small group of the pride was today seen alone around Djuma affect few days missing.

I would much prefer if this male stayed with Khanya for the time being. Been getting seen a few times by himself recently, much more than he use to.

I agree and has been my wish as well that he departs the pride and remains w Khanya. He has no future w the pride and has been very lucky till now that at least three different invading coalitions have not killed him. If he insists in staying, tables can quickly turn and his luck changes
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Mohawk playing a very dangerous game spiting the Xhimungs.  PCM's may not like that much.
4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Friarfan619 Offline

(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

I meant to put it in timbavati but saw avoca first
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2024, 07:37 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

This thread is for Avoca males who are/where in Sabi Sands and their offspring, not Avoca pride.

Content related for Avoca pride should be posted in Timbavati thread.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-14-2024, 07:37 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

As mentioned by @Tr1x24 , posts regarding the Avoca Pride and their offspring belongs in the Timbavati thread. Hope that helps to answer your question.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 09:18 PM by Mapokser )

@sik94 Mohawk couldn't even dominate one of his 3yo sons in a carcass once.

He is old and skinny, his sons big, strong and 4,5-5yo now.

Only reasons lions split in such scenarios are A) they're much stronger than their partners and want to get to a better area alone, like DM Avoca; B) They're much weaker and are having trouble competing for food and/or mating opportunities.

Mohawk is clearly option B.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

RookiePundit Offline

Older lions sometimes prefer to return to areas they know well, when they feel getting weaker. Not necessarily to die there but... Mohawks is not weak yet, but it might be factor as well. If he still gets Nkuhumas there as a support system, what's not to like from his POV, if he is more in a survival than domination mode.

Just feeling like we are jumping on being outcompeted by his sons narrative way too much, might be multiple factors (including unknown events and encounters) and in the end lions don't always act logically and rationally ("by the book") nor they have maps and info we have (and usually we don't have some of the info they have, to see the whole picture from their POV).
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Basically what I think happened to a what he did to darkmane sorta kinda I guess that’s why he was seen alone first then back in sabi sands
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Friarfan619 Offline

I think he was constantly going solo,  tried to force it, and then got tired of hanging with teenagers
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Did anyone notice how this male is similar to his now gone, older brother Lip Scar? He even has lip scar in exact place.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(06-16-2024, 03:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Did anyone notice how this male is similar to his now gone, older brother Lip Scar? He even has lip scar in exact place.

I think that might be dried mud or something, not sure if I’ve seen him with a scar near his lip although very few sightings are close up so hard to see. Then again, maybe the scarring has come within the last few weeks with all the different males he’s been around.
1 user Likes KM600's post