There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM by GuateGojira )

There are almost two years, I think, since the Supreme Court of India say that Gujarat most give some lions to other parts of India, but at the moment, there is not a single movement of this.

I think that Gujarat will never let go they monopoly of lions in Asia, is just bad business for them.

The sad thing is that both, Gujarat and India overall, is thinking in everything, except in the fate and true concerns to save those lions.

The interesting thing is that now that the new studies genetic studies from 2014 show that the Gir lions are more “Barbary” than the Barbary lions captive in Rabat zoo-Morocco, do you think that Gujarat-India is going to give some lions to reintroduce them in northern Africa?

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

If Gujarat doesn't even want to send lions to other parts of their country then what are the chances of them doing that for foreign countries? Zero. Bringing up a scientific paper isn't going to impress them, because the issue goes far deeper than that.
2 users Like Richardrli's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(06-10-2014, 10:47 AM)'Richardrli' Wrote: If Gujarat doesn't even want to send lions to other parts of their country then what are the chances of them doing that for foreign countries? Zero. Bringing up a scientific paper isn't going to impress them, because the issue goes far deeper than that.

100% agree. Is like to say that, if a child don't want to share its toy with its own brother, it is obvious that he will never share its toys with an unrelated boy, from another country. Funny from one side, but really sad from the other.

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Gujarat is considering lions, as one of the most valuable asset of his state. After all its Gujarat government exceptional effort that help in growing Asiatic lion population, Once it was below 100 now it is nearly 500.
But I agree that it is totally bad idea to confined them only in Gujarat. This may result some serious threat to these lions population in future which the minister are not able to understand.

In past Gujarat government has given some lions to Uttar Pradesh. But they lost it.
This case is still in supreme court. And many wild animal experts has support the trans loaction of lions
3 users Like sanjay's post

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Some of the lions are taking matters into their own hands, leaving and establishing their own territories outside gir. Hopefully the greedy government there will think more about the animals health and well being and introduce them back into more parts of india.

Pics

*This image is copyright of its original author

Conflict with another male

Two males

3 users Like TheLioness's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Just out of curiousty, how do you know that lion had a conflict with another male?
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM by Rishi )

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayi...?id=478480

"Its a click before the roaring clash between the 2 giants of sasan gir....Maulana and ckekawala male for territorial fight...Maulana takes his feet back and surrender himself against him....its a thrilling experiance and i m lucky enough to see this....May14."
3 users Like TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Nice info. Thanks for the link.
Wish they would of got the actual fight on film, and the two dates don't match. May 14th for the first image which was taken after the 2nd image of the injured lion, which was posted on the 13th. Just sayin Wink
I know this may look like I'm being "bias" but that is definitely something to look at, lioness. I would do the same if it were a tiger, all I'm saying.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

That is strange [img]images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] wonder why he uploaded them in different orders? Some people do that I guess. Indian nature watch has great photos!
2 users Like TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-11-2014, 10:37 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: That is strange [img]images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] wonder why he uploaded them in different orders? Some people do that I guess. Indian nature watch has great photos!

Indian Nature Watch is awesome, I will say that. They post some great stories and images.

India Vinod Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

found this interesting piece on twitter, could this be a possibility? [img]images/smilies/undecided.gif[/img]

4 users Like Vinod's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I don't think so.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM by tigerluver )

(06-14-2014, 05:47 PM)Vinod Wrote:

found this interesting piece on twitter, could this be a possibility?
3 users Like tigerluver's post

India Vinod Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

WII stands for Wildlife Institute of India
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_In...e_of_India

2 users Like Vinod's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-14-2014, 10:18 PM)'tigerluver' Wrote:
(06-14-2014, 05:47 PM)'Vinod' Wrote:

found this interesting piece on twitter, could this be a possibility?

You defintely cannot say that the lack of mane is or is not due to something, because of this single article.
It only used 7 lions, captive for that matter, and 16 tigers, captive as well. 

That being said, I think it is pretty well known that the mane is affected more so by the climate than anything else. Tsavo lions have no less testosterone than Serengeti Lions. Also what are the results? Where can we see them? I am curious to see what the levels are then compare them with wild levels.