There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Austria Brehm Offline

Awesome work Guate, this comparison looks very impressive! Could you also make one including an african lion? From what I've read and heard, asiatic lions are just slightly smaller than africans at average size, therefore I'm curious, which effect the heavy mane of an african specimen would have.
1 user Likes Brehm's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM by GuateGojira )

Hello @"Brehmji", nice to meet you.

Yes, I can make a comparison with the African lion. However, you most remember that there is no such thing as "African" lion per se, because in Africa we have two subspecies and different clades.

In this case, the west and north African lions (Barbary) are of the same subspecies than the Indian lion (Panthera leo leo) while those of the sub-Saharan region are the other subspecies (Panthera leo melanochaita), with two different clades: the East and the Southern lion.

At this moment, I have at hand the average East African lion and the Southern African lion is just about 10 cm longer and at the same shoulder height, so I am going to put that image for you. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 09:43 PM by Pckts )

Bhushan Pandya Yesterday ·    
AMAZING RELATIONSHIP

The handsome and majestic lion, popularly known as Raju and Sulemanbhai, Forester, in Gir had an amazing relationship. Raju was like Sulemanbhai's son! He used to follow Sulemanbhai since he was young. It was an unbelievable relationship in-between a wild lion and a human. Raju passed away before a couple of weeks but his memories and genes will be there forever. — with Avani Pandya, Moin Pathan, Rashila Vadher and 16 others at Gir National Park & Sanctuary

*This image is copyright of its original author

RIP Raju

Very nice to see that he lived a full life and died of natural causes. It happens far to rare now a days.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2015, 12:34 AM by Pckts )

Anybody know where to watch this Doc?

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(07-07-2015, 12:33 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: Anybody know where to watch this Doc?

Just watched the trailer. looks very interesting. I too would love to get information on how to watch or get it. thx
1 user Likes Wanderfalke's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-08-2015, 07:42 PM)'Wanderfalke' Wrote:

Just watched the trailer. looks very interesting. I too would love to get information on how to watch or get it. thx

Any chance you can post the trailer here?
I'll look for it on my own as well.
Thanks

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(07-08-2015, 10:12 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(07-08-2015, 07:42 PM)'Wanderfalke' Wrote:

Thanks

http://www.discoverychannel.co.in/indias...ing-lions/
1 user Likes Wanderfalke's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Bruhad Gir of Amreli:

''

4 users Like tigerluver's post

Expert & Researcher

Body size of the Asian (Indian) lion - actualization:

Team, here is my new image of the Asian lion, this time alone.

In this new image I present the silhouette with the large possible size (according with the records) and I changed one big issue: We know the minimum and maximum weights from the four males recorded by scientists, but we don't know the average weight and it is not published, apparently, in other documents. The figure of "175 kg" was mere speculative, but if I want accuracy I think that the best is to eliminate it as we don't know the other two males. In an official page they state and average figure of "160 kg", but I found this doubtful as this is the lowest weight known, although there is the possibility that there would be more weights in modern records that we still don't know.

Also, according with Pocock (1931), the heights over 100 cm reported for this population could be exaggerations, so we most take them as suggestive ones (the standing height of the large male of 299 cm "between pegs" was certainly no less than 100 cm).

Greetings to all.
5 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

This is the official source that I mentioned:

Source: http://www.gujaratlion.com/features-al.htm

Although the data is somewhat smaller than my own, take in count that I take old specimens, which could be arguably larger. The issue is with the weight, as the average for the female (125 kg) is heavier than the only two females reported in scientific literature.
6 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(06-07-2015, 07:27 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: The size of the Asian lion - the ultimate data:

Finally, here is a comparative image between the average sized Asian lion and an average sized Bengal tiger, including the set of measurements that are presented in my table:

I still use the name "persica" because it is the popular way to know these lions, but I believe that the correct form should be "leo", as this population, together with those of the north and west of Africa, are practically the same population/subspecies.

Let me know your comments and enjoy the data.

Erase the old one, keep the new one. Greetings to all.
7 users Like GuateGojira's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 11:42 PM by Amnon242 )

11yo. 178 kg, weighted at the age of 7. Very impressive.

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like Amnon242's post

Romania Black Lorren Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2015, 11:43 PM by Black Lorren )

INDIA'S WANDERING LIONS 2015 
The New Trailer!

3 users Like Black Lorren's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(07-11-2015, 10:24 PM)Wanderfalke Wrote:
Pckts\ dateline='\'1436373754' Wrote:
Wanderfalke\ dateline='\'1436364779' Wrote:
Pckts\ dateline='\'1436209431' Wrote: Anybody know where to watch this Doc?

Thanks

http://www.discoverychannel.co.in/indias...ing-lions/

have you watched it yet? Is it worth it?
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2015, 06:39 PM by Tshokwane )

Paresh Ahir:
Welcome To Gir.

King at Gir.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post