There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

@Rabubi I concur with your statements of it all boiling down to the government and balancing conservation with the social elements. Getting the locals involved in the conservation is key, such as the initiatives that take poachers and - rather than punishing, vilifying and ostracising them - training them to be rangers. Taking the people poaching out of need for money, and giving them a job protecting the animals instead, is the way it needs to be done.

Thank you for your kind words. I think this online community benefits from having someone like you who is, while not necessarily in the same position as these villagers, a little closer to the issue.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2024, 08:59 PM by Rabubi )

(05-25-2024, 08:32 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Rabubi I concur with your statements of it all boiling down to the government and balancing conservation with the social elements. Getting the locals involved in the conservation is key, such as the initiatives that take poachers and - rather than punishing, vilifying and ostracising them - training them to be rangers. Taking the people poaching out of need for money, and giving them a job protecting the animals instead, is the way it needs to be done.

Thank you for your kind words. I think this online community benefits from having someone like you who is, while not necessarily in the same position as these villagers, a little closer to the issue.

Absolutely, my friend. Helping the locals take initiative over conserving and managing natural resources is definitely the way to go.

In the early 2000s there was a project launched in Zimbabwe known as the CAMPFIRE project. It was basically aimed at empowering local communities with the skills and resources to manage their communal lands via ecotourism and hunting and for a time, it worked quite well in that the wildlife population was stabilizing and the rural communities were making revenue.

However, as in most cases here in Africa, corruption infected this program and the money started flowing only to the powerful and connected at the expense of the rural communities. As a result, that project basically crumbled.

The people on the ground, when properly incentivised, are usually more than willing to take on these types of projects. The individuals who need to be placed under serious scrutiny are government officials as their performance can usually make or break such initiatives.
5 users Like Rabubi's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2024, 12:55 AM by Cath2020 )

It seems like 4 or 5 of the Sand River Lionesses were seen in the company of a maneless young male sub!  Could there be another one missing from the trio seen a few times before?  Or did he just rejoin them after being separated from his brothers?  This was around early May.  The guide ID'd them as members of the Sand River Pride.....He also ID'd the N'was Breakaway female and her 2 sons earlier.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Ngonya Offline

(05-26-2024, 12:54 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: It seems like 4 or 5 of the Sand River Lionesses were seen in the company of a maneless young male sub!  Could there be another one missing from the trio seen a few times before?  Or did he just rejoin them after being separated from his brothers?  This was around early May.  The guide ID'd them as members of the Sand River Pride.....He also ID'd the N'was Breakaway female and her 2 sons earlier.
Could that have been a misID? Since theres 3 Nkhulus who barely got manes 

Anyways if its one of the Sand River subs he could've just briefly joined the pride and then left?
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I don't think so because he was completely maneless!  I didn't notice any mane at all.  I mean, all his brothers have manes, so what's with his development?  He's well over 2 years old.  The youngest survivors were born back in 2021!  He'd be closer to 3 than 2 now, in fact.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-26-2024, 01:28 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't think so because he was completely maneless!  I didn't notice any mane at all.  I mean, all his brothers have manes, so what's with his development?  He's well over 2 years old.  The youngest survivors were born back in 2021!  He'd be closer to 3 than 2 now, in fact.

Stressful times for a young lion, being forced away from his pride earlier than many others. That'd be my guess.

(05-26-2024, 01:28 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't think so because he was completely maneless!  I didn't notice any mane at all.  I mean, all his brothers have manes, so what's with his development?  He's well over 2 years old.  The youngest survivors were born back in 2021!  He'd be closer to 3 than 2 now, in fact.

The Nkuhuma young male is over three years old now and he's only just starting to develop a mane, and he's been through far less stress than the Sand River boys, seeing that he's pretty much still with his pride.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

Handsome plains camp male
https://www.facebook.com/groups/97561239...422646613/
1 user Likes Redroadmale's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Some males dont develop manes early, for example, current NK male was maneless at almost 4 years old.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

( This post was last modified: 05-27-2024, 02:01 AM by NLAL11 )

Elephant Plains Weekly Lion Sightings 20-26 May

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...-may-2024/

*This image is copyright of its original author

Monday, 20 May 2024
  • One Plains Camp male lion mating with one Nkuhuma lioness on Old Elephant Plains Driveway.
  • Two Talamati [Nkuhuma Breakaway] lions feeding on a giraffe carcass on Mabuza Road.
  • One Plains Camp male lion chased off three Nkuhuma lioness from the giraffe carcass on Mabuza Road.
Tuesday, 21 May 2024
  • Two Talamati [Nkuhuma Breakaway] lions feeding on the giraffe carcass on Mabuza Road.
  • Two Nkuhuma lioness mobile South from Mfezi Road.
Friday, 24 May 2024
  • Two Plains Camp male lions stationary on Central Road.
Sunday, 26 May 2024
  • The two Plains Camp male lions, crossing into Londolozi West of Rocky Road.
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, sleeping on A-main East of Big Dam Link South.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2024, 11:59 PM by Mapokser )

Interesting that the NK Breakaways got chased off the giraffe carcass by the Nkuhuma pride but returned to the carcass after their father chased the NK pride off.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-26-2024, 09:39 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Interesting that the NK Breakaways got chased off the giraffe carcass by the Nkuhuma pride but returned to the carcass after their father chased the NK oride off.

Really?
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Go131810 Offline

(05-26-2024, 11:10 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(05-26-2024, 09:39 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Interesting that the NK Breakaways got chased off the giraffe carcass by the Nkuhuma pride but returned to the carcass after their father chased the NK oride off.

Really?

That is interesting. I have been thinking. The sub adults they know who they are. Wouldn’t things change once the young male lion gets a bit older and the young lioness also gets a bit older? I wonder if they followed them north? Does this mean maybe they have followed them to the other prides? They are sub adults and maybe they have followed them before and maybe eaten with them before. It reminds me of the young Othowa daughters. The Othowa daughters must of followed the Tumbela male lion.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Go131810 Offline

(05-27-2024, 01:02 AM)Go131810 Wrote:

Really?
I wonder if they followed the Plain Camp male lions.

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2024, 01:47 AM by BA0701 )

(05-27-2024, 01:03 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 01:02 AM)Go131810 Wrote:

Really?
I wonder if they followed the Plain Camp male lions.

@Go131810 , instead of replying to, and in the process editing your own post, maybe go back and simply edit that post to begin with, you can even simply add a line to the end of it if you wish, denoting that it is an edit when you do. But the way you just did this post will make it difficult for anyone to see it.