There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Ultimately lions have their own personalities.
Its always possible that Nym has some personality flaw that makes him a bad partner. Like a tendency to abandon them in a fight or something that would explain the curse.

Though the whole area is a graveyard for lions. So its more likely enviromental.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

The bad coalition partner stuff is pretty unfair, didn't Big Boy Mhangeni die from an internal infection?
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Gavskrr Offline

(08-21-2021, 06:10 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The bad coalition partner stuff is pretty unfair, didn't Big Boy Mhangeni die from an internal infection?

yes, I don't think Nkuhuma is a bad coalition partner, you can say he hasn't had much luck so far.
6 users Like Gavskrr's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK male didn't have nothing to do with deaths of both Big Boy and Styx, so lets stop with this "bad coalition partner".
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

I would say he is a solid coalition partner.  He has just had some really bad luck. He has only ever had 2 partners so nobody can make such rash judgments about him. It is unfair and very incorrect...
- Big Boy died from natural causes.
- Styx Male died from a nasty wound inflicted most likely by Mangheni females. 

If anything, this only highlights how tough it is to be a nomadic male. Nothing to do with him whatsoever. 

Right now, he has to be one of my favorite male lions. That boy has gone through so much. 

Anybody know who he was seen with recently?
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

(08-21-2021, 08:21 PM)Mistry109 Wrote: I would say he is a solid coalition partner.  He has just had some really bad luck. He has only ever had 2 partners so nobody can make such rash judgments about him. It is unfair and very incorrect...

If anything, this only highlights how tough it is to be a nomadic male. Nothing to do with him whatsoever. 

Right now, he has to be one of my favorite male lions. That boy has gone through so much. 

I personally feel like he died by hyenas.  They bite like that from the hindquarters.  The Styx Male was probably tailing the Mangheni females, maybe even feeding with them, and got too confident or careless when hyenas swarmed the kill area.  It is well-known that several lions have died from hyenas in SS.  The OM's brother and dam died from hyenas, for example.  Their bite force is incredible.  However, this is no concrete proof either way, we'll all just have to speculate in the end.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He never was long in a coalition with Big Boy Mhangeni. He went his own way after the two went nomadic.

I was merely speculating what may be the cause. And yes, a character flaw can not just be thrown out becouse its unfair or mean. They cant all be noble kings.

Like I said though, the most likely reason is just the harshness of Singita as a region.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

(08-21-2021, 06:10 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The bad coalition partner stuff is pretty unfair, didn't Big Boy Mhangeni die from an internal infection?

Didn't he leave him before anyway?
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-21-2021, 09:50 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: Didn't he leave him before anyway?

Yea, they where not seen together for a while before Big Boy died.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(08-21-2021, 08:21 PM)Mistry109 Wrote: I would say he is a solid coalition partner.  He has just had some really bad luck. He has only ever had 2 partners so nobody can make such rash judgments about him. It is unfair and very incorrect...

That photo posted here with him carrying the kill suggests he hadn't had the wound year when the kill was already claimed and Mhangenis likely gone for good, so that would narrow it down to hyenas and Nkuhuma. Then again we don't know if it was a hyena bite how it happened, whether a bold hyena took a chance when Styx turned his back towards it or if he got somewhat outnumbered, it could be a freak incident nothing could prevent or maybe the two males didn't cover for each other as they ultimately should.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Update on the mystery males: Thanks to some work by @"Timbavati", It is likely that the two mystery males come from the BDM pride of Timbavati and were sired by Giraffe male. Timbavati made a comparison of the whiskers and scars of these males and they match. Info comes from lions of Timbavati thread
6 users Like Mdz123's post

Contributor

Three Talamati girls with the S8 Male in Buffelshoek. Taken today by Patsy Crisp.
Old female still showing signs of suckling 

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-22-2021, 12:37 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Update on the mystery males: Thanks to some work by @"Timbavati", It is likely that the two mystery males come from the BDM pride of Timbavati and were sired by Giraffe male. Timbavati made a comparison of the whiskers and scars of these males and they match. Info comes from lions of Timbavati thread

Just a correction: The Black dam pride from Thornybush Game Reserve. I'll get updates of the other four males soon.
6 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor

Hope this is a misidentification

Ximungwe lioness and one of the Tumbelas mating 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(08-22-2021, 12:41 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Three Talamati girls with the S8 Male in Buffelshoek. Taken today by Patsy Crisp.
Old female still showing signs of suckling 

Where is the Dark Mane Avoca? Was he not dominant over the Talamati pride?
2 users Like sundarbans's post