There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States Matimbalani Offline

Sad news. BDM was a beast, and I'll miss him. Perhaps its fitting that the buffaloes got him and not other lions. His legacy is secure and I am happy for that.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Here is the update of the Black dam male
https://www.facebook.com/LionsofTimbavati/
2 users Like T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-25-2020, 02:57 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Here is the update of the Black dam male

So sad, not even 11 years old, had so many years ahead. But, being a lone male, those years could have been really tough, especially given recent activities in the area, we will never know now. Does he have any cubs that are now in danger as a result of this awful news? Thank you for this update @"TinoArmando"
1 user Likes BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-25-2020, 03:03 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 02:57 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Here is the update of the Black dam male

So sad, not even 11 years old, had so many years ahead. But, being a lone male, those years could have been really tough, especially given recent activities in the area, we will never know now. Does he have any cubs that are now in danger as a result of this awful news? Thank you for this update @"TinoArmando"

The BDM has  sub-adults sons on the Giraffe pride, those sub-adults have approx 2 to 3 years old

and sons of the Monwana pride, who rule the Giraffe breakaway pride.
2 users Like T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-25-2020, 03:12 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

The BDM has  sub-adults sons on the Giraffe pride, those sub-adults have approx 2 to 3 years old

Ok, good, thank you for the reply. At least those are old enough to care for themselves if need be. I was concerned about little ones, who might be in danger when new males come in to claim the pride. Thank you again my friend!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-25-2020, 03:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:12 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Ok, good, thank you for the reply. At least those are old enough to care for themselves if need be. I was concerned about little ones, who might be in danger when new males come in to claim the pride. Thank you again my friend!

Anytime my friend.
I have sent you a message
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

He was such a beast of a lion. Definitely could have been dominant else where for a couple years, kinda went out on top though which is good i guess.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 09:19 PM by Potato )

Sad news althrought to be honest he probably wouldn't least more than a couple of months anyway as great most of male lions of his age after being oustedfrom position of dominant male of the pride do. Sad are those last couple of days as we got Black Dam male dies and one of the Shishangaan males as well as Orpen male Buddy were seen in very poor condition and soon should leave this world as well.
2 users Like Potato's post

BigLion39 Offline

Very sad news indeed! One of my favorite lions! His legacy survives! Will miss him for sure! What a beast of a lion!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 03:08 AM by Tr1x24 )

(08-25-2020, 09:19 PM)Potato Wrote: Sad news althrought to be honest he probably wouldn't least more than a couple of months anyway as great most of male lions of his age after being oustedfrom position of dominant male of the pride do. Sad are those last couple of days as we got Black Dam male dies and one of the Shishangaan males as well as Orpen male Buddy were seen in very poor condition and soon should leave this world as well.

Why you think he wouldn't last alone more then couple of months? Thats nonsense.. 

He was still in top condition, excellent hunter, taking down buffaloes on his own etc..

Just look at Scorro, he survived (maybe still alive) around 2 yrs on his own at that age..

Yes, anything can happened as we seen, but BDM was certaintly capable of surviving on his own without a problem...

Even now at 10 yrs of age i would take this guy over pretty much every "prime" male in Timbavati/Manyeleti/Sabi Sands except maybe Red Road male..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Why you think he wouldn't last alone more then couple of months? Thats nonsense.. 

He was still in top condition, excellent hunter, taking down buffaloes on his own etc.."

This is not about in how good condition he was, but how fast condition deteriorate. Lets take last Northen Matimba for example. When he has been ousted from Skorro pride and came into Timbavati roaring even young Mbiris which were chassing dominant males all around by that time were said to became less vocal. Moreover he soon made coalition with Rockfig male. Begining of a new start as a dominant male again? No, couple of months after he passed away. Lets take Majingilanes for another example. By the middle of 2017 still coalition of three males in what seemd to be perfect condition and still seemd to be most dominant force around just a bit back in early 2017 they were seen to be chassing around strong, fit, healty, prime and numericaly superior Birmingham males. Few months after none of them was anymore. True is that most of successfull lions (those who manage to become dominant) doesn't live beyond 10 years old and very few makes it past 12. 

"Just look at Scorro, he survived (maybe still alive) around 2 yrs on his own at that age.."

There are indeed very few males, exelent hunters like Mapogos or Skorro Thanda Impi for example who even in advanced age, not being phisically capable anymore and with depleted coalition numbers could take care for themselfs very well. That is however only very few male and the question is if Black Dam male is among them. Maybe, but to be honest much greater chance is that he isn't. Those very few males in general are lions which were hunting their whole life, how did not relly that much on the controlled prides to provide food. BDM however rather opposite - lion who was always with some pride, never even for a brief time was on his own, never was nomadic before. 

"Even now at 10 yrs of age i would take this guy over pretty much every "prime" male in Timbavati/Manyeleti/Sabi Sands except maybe Red Road male.."

In Timbavati currently there are so much tanks by now at physical prime that I see as very questionable that 10 years old male would own them all. If I myself would be to be for most dominant male in 1vs1 in those arenas combined then I would go with Shaka Mbiri. He is a true brute and warlord and in prime.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 01:38 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-26-2020, 10:44 AM)Potato Wrote: "Why you think he wouldn't last alone more then couple of months? Thats nonsense.. 

He was still in top condition, excellent hunter, taking down buffaloes on his own etc.."

This is not about in how good condition he was, but how fast condition deteriorate. Lets take last Northen Matimba for example. When he has been ousted from Skorro pride and came into Timbavati roaring even young Mbiris which were chassing dominant males all around by that time were said to became less vocal. Moreover he soon made coalition with Rockfig male. Begining of a new start as a dominant male again? No, couple of months after he passed away. Lets take Majingilanes for another example. By the middle of 2017 still coalition of three males in what seemd to be perfect condition and still seemd to be most dominant force around just a bit back in early 2017 they were seen to be chassing around strong, fit, healty, prime and numericaly superior Birmingham males. Few months after none of them was anymore. True is that most of successfull lions (those who manage to become dominant) doesn't live beyond 10 years old and very few makes it past 12. 

"Just look at Scorro, he survived (maybe still alive) around 2 yrs on his own at that age.."

There are indeed very few males, exelent hunters like Mapogos or Skorro Thanda Impi for example who even in advanced age, not being phisically capable anymore and with depleted coalition numbers could take care for themselfs very well. That is however only very few male and the question is if Black Dam male is among them. Maybe, but to be honest much greater chance is that he isn't. Those very few males in general are lions which were hunting their whole life, how did not relly that much on the controlled prides to provide food. BDM however rather opposite - lion who was always with some pride, never even for a brief time was on his own, never was nomadic before. 

"Even now at 10 yrs of age i would take this guy over pretty much every "prime" male in Timbavati/Manyeleti/Sabi Sands except maybe Red Road male.."

In Timbavati currently there are so much tanks by now at physical prime that I see as very questionable that 10 years old male would own them all. If I myself would be to be for most dominant male in 1vs1 in those arenas combined then I would go with Shaka Mbiri. He is a true brute and warlord and in prime.

Disagree on pretty much everything you said here.. 

Majingilanes where 13 yrs old by the time the lost condition...

As far as I know, we dont know what happened to WhiteFace Matimba and how he died.. 

Scorro was not more "solo" lion then BDM, Scorro had a pride since 2013/14,and then he had Sizanani.. 

BDM activly hunted his whole life, he is not that type of a lion who waits lionesses to hunt and then take their kill,theres many examples of that. 

He survived for few months now without a problem.. 

Certaintly theres a lions that at that age depends on a pride, but BDM certaintly wasnt one of them.. 
A strong and experienced male like him will survive without a problem even at 10 yrs of age.. My opinion and you cant change it.. 

Mbiris are great warriors, but that doesnt mean they are the strongest, and they are affraid of Nharhu males, thats enough for me.. Xikukutsus are stronger in my opinion..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Majingilanes where 13 yrs old by the time the lost condition..."

Their born date is in fact unknown, their age is pure speculation, but even at highest estimations they are 5 years old by the time they first took over and so 12 and half while demise.

"As far as I know, we dont know what happened to WhiteFace Matimba and how he died.. "

He was seen in very poor condition at his last sighting, most likely died not longer than couple of days after that.

"BDM activly hunted his whole life, he is not that type of a lion who waits lionesses to hunt and then take their kill,theres many examples of that. "

What examples are those? Could you provide at least one, single raport of such think. Also any wild lion makes kill at least from time to time so even if he indeed hunted from time to time on his own, still it doesn't place him above none and isn't even close enought for a term of great hunter.

"He survived for few months now without a problem.. "

He wasn't alone beside his vander to Orpen Gate. All other sightings of him were with some portion of Giraffe pride in company.

"Certaintly theres a lions that at that age depends on a pride"

Yeah, like most/great most of male lions.

"but BDM certaintly wasnt one of them"

I do not see anythink to prove that. Inopposite even as I mentioned ealier he didn't even lived nomadic life before.

"A strong and experienced male like him will survive without a problem even at 10 yrs of age"

Being big in body size has just about nothink to do with level of hunting skills. Moreover even greatest hunters at that stage of life do not survive without any problems what so ever. Great most of males in his position dies quickly and most likely he wouldn't be any different.  

"My opinion and you cant change it.. "

Well... That goes to other side as well.

"Mbiris are great warriors, but that doesnt mean they are the strongest"

Of course not. It is pure speculation, bet. 

" and they are affraid of Nharhu males"

They are quite regularly venturing into Nharhus territorry even through they do not need to at all, having their own territorry and pride. I find very starange that you see it as sign of being affraid of Nharhus. I see it opposite way. If Mbiris would be scared they wouldn't move anywhere near Nharhus.

"Xikukutsus are stronger in my opinion"

Perhaps, but they haven't done anythink special yet. They defeated a bit younger and outnumbered Monwanas and outcompentated single Giraffe male. That is no where near enought to give tham so large credit of trust at this point. That is for me at least.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

One of the most invigorating african experiences must be listening to a male lion roar from a close courter. What an amazing representation of power and life. This dark maned male is the coalition partner of the previously pictured and posted light maned male. Both sighed last week in the north of Klaserie with the 5 suspected Dundee females and 8 cubs. Listen to this big boy stubbornly and domainantly call for justy short of a minute.

2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-26-2020, 02:38 PM)Potato Wrote: What examples are those? Could you provide at least one, single raport of such think. Also any wild lion makes kill at least from time to time so even if he indeed hunted from time to time on his own, still it doesn't place him above none and isn't even close enought for a term of great hunter.

Yes, i can make multiple examples just from past few months when he was alone.. 

April 2020 :

*This image is copyright of its original author

By the size of the horns, that was a big bull, not many lions can kill adult buffalo on his own.. 

Also, here is him drinking at Orpens after he made a kill, 1 month or so ago:

Also theres a video of him killing a wildebeest , when Giraffe pride was just watching at side, i cant find it rn, but its out there..

And latest and fatal hunt:

(08-26-2020, 02:38 PM)Potato Wrote: He wasn't alone beside his vander to Orpen Gate. All other sightings of him were with some portion of Giraffe pride in company.

He was ousted by Monwanas in March/April, after that he was seen with his sons 1 time, and after that there was no sign of him for quite some time, only to be found alone in northern Thornybush 2 months ago, and then recently around Orpens Gate.. 

I think you are underestimating BDM as a lion, and i dont like it, and saying that he wouldn't survive on his own at this point is just nonsense, he survived already 4/5 months on his own pretty much and was still in perfect condition, and i think most of people on this forum would agree with me..

But all can have their own opinion, and i respect that, but we have different opinions, so theres no need for more discussion of this topic, because its pointless it seems..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post