There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
Our new member S Boultan needs community opinion on his project on animal conservation. Read his post and if possible help him by replying or sharing it to others who are qualified.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

KM600 Offline

It’d be great to get a side by side with the 3 now, see how Chelas boy compares to Mohawk in height, with RN son bigger than both of them.
3 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Mohawk is a short male, his sons even before they turned 4 were taller than him ( guide's words, saying that after seeing them side by side ).

Tbf, height-wise, lions are close to their peak at 3,5yo, at 4, if they grow any taller, it's by an insignificant degree.

Still, RN's son looks taller than Chela's son, with Chela's son being bulkier despite being at an age where he will still bulk up considerably.

So I'd think that in his prime, Chela's son will be very muscular, with a huge chest girth, though maybe not particularly tall, while RN's son might be above average in height but it's hard to say as Chela's might just be short.

I think while we see short lions here and there ( say Mohawk, BDMs, Ndhzengas... ), most, even the said big or huge lions, have very similar heights.

A lion thought as average like Tumbela is as tall as PCM who are said to be huge. NK Bboy son, Talamati, Gijimas, Nkhulus, Kambulas, Red Road... Probably all around the same height, and we've seen many of them together to have some notion.

Even some massive beasts like Leeubrons were probably not that tall compared to other males mentioned above, if you see that video of them with the Hamilton females.

Big differences in size are more likely to do with body mass, bulkiness and stuff, possibly longer bodies too.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(Yesterday, 05:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: If that's them, RN's son is looking very impressive, especially considering how he's K6's age and his likely father, Mohawk, has a small mane and body.

Chela's son is in fact 7 months younger than K6 - born December and May 2019 respectively, if I remember correctly.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Ngonya Offline

(4 hours ago)NLAL11 Wrote: Chela's son is in fact 7 months younger than K6 - born December and May 2019 respectively, if I remember correctly.
makes it even more impressive! 
He is a good looking impressive male for his age

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Wild Photo Africa Safaris
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Online

(1 hour ago)Ngonya Wrote:
(4 hours ago)NLAL11 Wrote: Chela's son is in fact 7 months younger than K6 - born December and May 2019 respectively, if I remember correctly.
makes it even more impressive! 
He is a good looking impressive male for his age

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Wild Photo Africa Safaris

What I love about these boys is that is almost a carbon copy of the Northen Avoca duo Blondie/Mohawk 
Chela's son with that Teddy bear face like blondies 
And Ridge Nose's has the face of Mohawk with Matimba's size 
Both are very recognizable I hope they thrive, have we ever had a coalition comming from Nkuhuma pride? ( That had success later on as a coalition) 
I dont remember so, these might be the first

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 58 minutes ago by Ngonya )

(1 hour ago)Rui Ferreira Wrote: Both are very recognizable I hope they thrive, have we ever had a coalition comming from Nkuhuma pride? ( That had success later on as a coalition) 
There were two Nkuhuma males (Sizanani and his brother)... Didn't thrive exactly as a coalition but they lasted quite a long time together especially when you look at the circumstances they were in. 
Sizanani later joined the Skorro male and formed the Thanda Impi coalition, so yeah not exactly a Nkuhuma coalition, this boys could and hopefully will thrive as brothers, maybe Mohawk can last a bit to enjoy the possible success of the rising coalition.
Idk how likely that could be but it would be great if they maybe joined one or two other males, even how unlikely and maybe unrealistic that seems i would personally love to see it, at least compensate a bit of their losses during the last couple of years.

Also i think the darker maned boy resembles quite alot the Matimbas. He looks tall, long, has those really orange eyes, his face a bit too... in general that would be it lol
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

(1 hour ago)Ngonya Wrote:
(1 hour ago)Rui Ferreira Wrote: Both are very recognizable I hope they thrive, have we ever had a coalition comming from Nkuhuma pride? ( That had success later on as a coalition) 
There were two Nkuhuma males (Sizanani and his brother)... Didn't thrive exactly as a coalition but they lasted quite a long time together especially when you look at the circumstances they were in. 
Sizanani later joined the Skorro male and formed the Thanda Impi coalition, so yeah not exactly a Nkuhuma coalition, this boys could and hopefully will thrive as brothers, maybe Mohawk can last a bit to enjoy the possible success of the rising coalition.
Idk how likely that could be but it would be great if they maybe joined one or two other males, even how unlikely and maybe unrealistic that seems i would personally love to see it, at least compensate a bit of their losses during the last couple of years.

Also i think the darker maned boy resembles quite alot the Matimbas. He looks tall, long, has those really orange eyes, his face a bit too... in general that would be it lol

Yup I thinked of Sizanani and his brother, such a shame what happend to him, Sizanani did an amazing job as brother too 
About the darker Maned boy 
When he was younger I wasnt sure if he resembled more DM or Mohawk, but now when I was double checking I compared page 217 RN Son photo with page 218 Mohawk and yeah its Mohawk 
He is built like a working horse tho, nothing like Mohawk 
I do think it might be the Mother genes, If you look at his half brother ( yeah he is sired by PCM) 
But still he is going to be nothing but big and already has a little belly mane comming thru 
He turned 2 in february or so wich is amazing 
Anyway how far are KrugerNkuhumas from their cousins ?

KM600 Offline

Out of all the N.Avoca male offsprings, RN son, to me, has always been the one who never quite took after his sire. I can see a bit of Mohawk in him but it’s not definitive like Talamati boys compared to Dark Mane or Chelas boy and Blondie. He’s also quite tall compared to Mohawk being more on the average side, but whether that’s because he’s genuinely a big male or just bigger than Mohawk, we don’t know up until this point. Very unknown unlike Khanya for example, who I think most of us would agree on him being one of the tallest males in Sabi Sands rn.

We don’t have any comparable sightings of these boys with Khanya or Dark Mane in his latter years to compare size, so the best we’ll prolly get is when they face up against rival males.

(26 minutes ago)KM600 Wrote: Out of all the N.Avoca male offsprings, RN son, to me, has always been the one who never quite took after his sire. I can see a bit of Mohawk in him but it’s not definitive like Talamati boys compared to Dark Mane or Chelas boy and Blondie. He’s also quite tall compared to Mohawk being more on the average side, but whether that’s because he’s genuinely a big male or just bigger than Mohawk, we don’t know up until this point. Very unknown unlike Khanya for example, who I think most of us would agree on him being one of the tallest males in Sabi Sands rn.

We don’t have any comparable sightings of these boys with Khanya or Dark Mane in his latter years to compare size, so the best we’ll prolly get is when they face up against rival males.

I remember theres a video of Chela's son almost side by side with one of the Imbali males IIRC
I dont recall seeing that much difference in sheer size, wich might sound crazy because after all its a 4 years old compared to a Male in its prime 
But if we can somehow judge the size of Chela's to Imbali male, maybe we can after do the same but with Chela's and RN's 
Afterall this is pointless because size plays just a little role in dynamics and we can mesure exactly, but still I love to debate about these topics