There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

Poland NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2024, 05:52 PM by NLAL11 )

Londolozi Blog talking about genetic memory, which opens with how the Kambula males may have inherited their buffalo hunting prowess from their fathers.

The rest of the blog is an interesting read as well. Photo credits to Sean Zeederberg. https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/05/14/ex...n-animals/

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like NLAL11's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-17-2024, 05:31 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Londolozi Blog talking about genetic memory, which opens with how the Kambula males may have inherited their buffalo hunting prowess from their fathers.

The rest of the blog is an interesting read as well. https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/05/14/ex...n-animals/

Very interesting article to read…
3 users Like T I N O's post

Ngonya Offline

Arathusa Safari Lodge
"We found the Kumbula Pride resting near the Arathusa waterhole.
Despite his attempts to mate with a female from the Nkuhuma pride about a month ago, one of the older males seen here was summarily rejected and sent on his way."

7 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

Throwback to a few months ago, january 2024
Snip Tail Kambula leading his coalition partner Dark Mane Pretoriuskop in a patrol at their territory - by LegendSafaris

9 users Like Ngonya's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-19-2024, 02:02 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Throwback to a few months ago, january 2024
Snip Tail Kambula leading his coalition partner Dark Mane Pretoriuskop in a patrol at their territory - by LegendSafaris

Phenomenal sighting!! He is really a good looking guy

Go131810 Offline

(05-19-2024, 03:30 AM)IT I N O Wrote:

Hi where is his brother?
3 users Like Go131810's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-19-2024, 05:42 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(05-19-2024, 03:30 AM)IT I N O Wrote:

Hi where is his brother?

Both Kambula males were seen not long ago alongside with their partner, the dark-maned Pretoriuskop male
5 users Like T I N O's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Kambula males and Kambula breakaway lioness/sister in 'the heart of Djuma' this morning. Only three males and the sister pictured but all 5 were present according to Steve.

Three-tooth/K5 and K6

Three-tooth/K5

K6 and sister

K6

K4

7 users Like NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Steve tried tracking the Nkuhumas from where they were with them last night, but were unsuccessful. Tracks indicated that they were moving in a north-east direction. The Kambulas came from the east, from the Torchwood area. There was a poll on which viewers voted for which coalition they wanted to settle on Djuma: 60% voted for Kambulas, 25% voted for Mohawk and sons (???) and the PC males and BD males both got 7.4%.

It's tricky because from a purely genetic standpoint, yes the PC males are completely unrelated to the Nkuhumas so they are the best. But if it comes at the cost of prides in the west being decimated/splintered its not great for the local lion population. While the Kambulas, although partly related to some of the females (not all), would be better for the overall lion population, as they would most likely force the PC males back into the west, continuing the growth and development of all prides. The Kambulas are almost completely unrelated to Amber Eyes two daughters, and share maximum 25% genes with the 2021 girls. Which hardly counts as inbreeding. The biggest issue is the two remaining Birmingham daughters - Pale Eyes and Ridge Nose's daughter - who could potentially share up to 50%. It could also potentially less than that. But as @Mapokser has said, and I've definitely heard Kevin Richardson say this as well, it takes a few generations of proper inbreeding to really cause a genetic problems, so I think they'd be fine.

Steve and Cedric have both said they want the Kambulas to settle, knowing full well that they are sons of the Birminghams, and I have to agree. It's basically overall stability vs maximum genetic diversity. But of course, when have lions ever done what we wanted them to do.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-23-2024, 05:20 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Kambula males and Kambula breakaway lioness/sister in 'the heart of Djuma' this morning. Only three males and the sister pictured but all 5 were present according to Steve.

Three-tooth/K5 and K6

Three-tooth/K5

K6 and sister

K6

K4

K6 is looking in great condition.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Sunset May 23, Sabi Sands are Trishala Naidu & Gerrit Burger with Kamula males at Gowrie Dam.

6 users Like T I N O's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(05-23-2024, 05:41 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Steve tried tracking the Nkuhumas from where they were with them last night, but were unsuccessful. Tracks indicated that they were moving in a north-east direction. The Kambulas came from the east, from the Torchwood area. There was a poll on which viewers voted for which coalition they wanted to settle on Djuma: 60% voted for Kambulas, 25% voted for Mohawk and sons (???) and the PC males and BD males both got 7.4%.

It's tricky because from a purely genetic standpoint, yes the PC males are completely unrelated to the Nkuhumas so they are the best. But if it comes at the cost of prides in the west being decimated/splintered its not great for the local lion population. While the Kambulas, although partly related to some of the females (not all), would be better for the overall lion population, as they would most likely force the PC males back into the west, continuing the growth and development of all prides. The Kambulas are almost completely unrelated to Amber Eyes two daughters, and share maximum 25% genes with the 2021 girls. Which hardly counts as inbreeding. The biggest issue is the two remaining Birmingham daughters - Pale Eyes and Ridge Nose's daughter - who could potentially share up to 50%. It could also potentially less than that. But as @Mapokser has said, and I've definitely heard Kevin Richardson say this as well, it takes a few generations of proper inbreeding to really cause a genetic problems, so I think they'd be fine.

Steve and Cedric have both said they want the Kambulas to settle, knowing full well that they are sons of the Birminghams, and I have to agree. It's basically overall stability vs maximum genetic diversity. But of course, when have lions ever done what we wanted them to do.

I really like this take of weighing the pros and cons of overall stability vs maximum diversity. I agree that it would be better if the Kambulas take over the Nkuhuma pride. The prides in the west need the PCMs constant presence to ensure their stability. How 25% voted for Mohawk and his sons is weird, considering that the viewers surely would have been made aware that the males are related to the Nkuhuma lionesses.

As much as I am rooting for the BDMs to succeed, I still think they can only do so elsewhere, like Manyeleti. The competition in the Sabi Sands is simply too much for them to handle.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 08:52 PM by BA0701 )

The Ntsevu/Kambula males va Buffalos!
The physical condition of these males are very impressive!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7TnB39quzd/?i
5 users Like T I N O's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@NLAL11 Kambulas would only share up to 25% of their DNA with any of the Nkuhuma females, no? As they would be half-siblings.

To share 50% they'd have to have the same father and mother which they don't.

So even in the worst case scenario, it's still far from bad.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(05-23-2024, 10:30 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @NLAL11 Kambulas would only share up to 25% of their DNA with any of the Nkuhuma females, no? As they would be half-siblings.

To share 50% they'd have to have the same father and mother which they don't.

So even in the worst case scenario, it's still far from bad.

I seem to remember reading/hearing that lions can share 100% dna with siblings, so half-siblings would have 50%. But I could very well be wrong, or misremembering. I know that in humans it's as you've said, so that may very well be the case.
2 users Like NLAL11's post