There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-17-2024, 10:59 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 10:01 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 09:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 09:11 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Kambula #4 with 6 Nkuhuma females 
Sunset WildEarth SafariLive April 17

And subs aswell, this is great, no agression from neither side.

I certainly worry for the young male's safety, especially if the other three join him.

If all four of them establish themselves in northern Sabi Sands it will be more dangerous for the remaining Talamatis as well. K4 already killed one sub.

Exactly, and if they go after the Talamati subs, you know their mother will defend them, that would be a horrible situation, for numerous reasons.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Well, when new coalition establish themselves or takeover new area, certain natal lions (mostly young ones) are endangered.

This area prob has least amount of those lions.

Imagen damage if for example Kambulas takeover territories of PCMs, Ndhzengas or Gijimas.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Any word on Southern Pride? Not much on them since Msuthlus establish themselves south.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I saw the male who was with NK and Tumbela.

No clue who it is, but the whiskers from one side are very clear, if guides decide to release it to the public I think he'd get identified quickly.

The boy should be around 6yo, short face, full golden mane, big on the top of the head.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Southern pride has been seen recently, all cubs alive.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2024, 11:43 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Southern pride has been seen recently, all cubs alive.

2 cubs?

Did daughters gave birth?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Friarfan619 Offline

(04-17-2024, 11:39 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I saw the male who was with NK and Tumbela.

No clue who it is, but the whiskers from one side are very clear, if guides decide to release it to the public I think he'd get identified quickly.

The boy should be around 6yo, short face, full golden mane, big on the top of the head.

Why keep it a secret??? Savanah posted nk and tumbelq today. No mention of a3rd male
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

RookiePundit Offline

(04-17-2024, 08:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: NK is playing 200 iq game, if you are friends with everyone, you dont have enemies! Hehe.

For real, he must be most friendly and social lion we ever observed, surpassing even Solo male.

He is pretty much in good terms and friend with all nomadic males/coalitions in the area he travels, at the same time, depending in which area he is.

Quite interesting behavior.

Wonky Eye would have something to say regarding that title.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 5 cubs, 2 older from the adult female and 3 younger cubs from one of the subs.

@Friarfan619 reason why they don't allow sharing it is beyond my understanding.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2024, 11:47 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Why keep it a secret??? Savanah posted nk and tumbelq today. No mention of a3rd male

As far as i undestand, 3rd male was not with them, he was alone.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(04-17-2024, 11:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Well, when new coalition establish themselves or takeover new area, certain natal lions (mostly young ones) are endangered.

This area prob has least amount of those lions.

Imagen damage if for example Kambulas takeover territories of PCMs, Ndhzengas or Gijimas.

Oh, I totally understand what you are saying, trust me. I just hope that one of the females leads the young male off, to raise him properly.

As for the Talamati, my thoughts have already been stated a few times following the recent renaming. They are the last of their pride, just like Tsalala, Othawa, Sparta, etc.. so that is of big concern for me as well, just as it has always been with these prides who are on the knife's edge.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(04-18-2024, 12:14 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 08:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: NK is playing 200 iq game, if you are friends with everyone, you dont have enemies! Hehe.

For real, he must be most friendly and social lion we ever observed, surpassing even Solo male.

He is pretty much in good terms and friend with all nomadic males/coalitions in the area he travels, at the same time, depending in which area he is.

Quite interesting behavior.

Wonky Eye would have something to say regarding that title.

100%, I do miss getting updates on that boy, I hope he is ok. He too was an exceptionally affable male, he even got currently dominant males to share a meal with him. Our friend @Tonpa gave him that fitting name, and it seemed to stick.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 01:22 AM by Mapokser )

Third male was with NK and Tumbela, but left them.

I also heard that it's believed NK might have brought him from Kruger.

But I didn't hear it from a first hand source so I can't know how reliable this guess is.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 01:48 AM by Duco Ndona )

They probably are aware there are plenty of people reading far to much in these sorts of reports. So they probably take more time verifying them now.

That he may have followed Nym sounds reasonable.
Nym is a bit of a pick up artist. Constantly making friends everywhere, only to then leave them again to go back to his grand solo adventure.
I guess this young lion, desperate for a coalition ran into him, but didn't get the message that Nym isnt looking for anything long term.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 01:59 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-18-2024, 01:22 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I also heard that it's believed NK might have brought him from Kruger.

When was NK in Kruger recently? He was seen like 3 weeks or so ago with Kambulas in Londolozi.

I dont think theres any evidence that NK was meanwhile in Kruger, let alone that he found some male friend there in such short time and returned back all the way to western sector.

Thats prob only a theory from someone.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post