There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Well. Seeing the alternative is that after months of nothing, two males independent from each other suddenly showed up at the same moment at the same spot where the Tumbella male just happen to be. Id say its a good theory.

I don't think he necessary came from Kruger though.. Its probably best to wait for more info so a proper identification can be made before we can speculate on his origin.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 02:17 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-18-2024, 02:09 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Well. Seeing the alternative is that after months of nothing, two males independent from each other suddenly showed up at the same moment at the same spot where the Tumbella male just happen to be. Id say its a good theory.

I don't think he necessary came from Kruger though.. Its probably best to wait for more info so a proper identification can be made before we can speculate on his origin.

I've heard that this new male was quite some time already around western sector (for few weeks).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2024, 02:16 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:09 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Well. Seeing the alternative is that after months of nothing, two males independent from each other suddenly showed up at the same moment at the same spot where the Tumbella male just happen to be. Id say its a good theory.

I've heard that this new male was quite some time already around western sector (for few weeks).

As mentioned, I just recall the Tumbellas sneaking in and harassing HB. It took quite a bit of fine detective work from the guides and the community to finally figure out who those boys were. It was a pretty big deal when it happened.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Outside of the 3 males reports. Its the first time I heard of a new male in western sector. Another detail to sort out I guess.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-18-2024, 02:31 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Outside of the 3 males reports. Its the first time I heard of a new male in western sector. Another detail to sort out I guess.

Yeah, seems that is where we're headed. Pretty surprising, just like with the Tumbelas. With how explored WS of SS is on a daily basis, it is always surprising when one slips through like that. You know, come to think of it, as we were discussing earlier, we haven't heard much of Wonky, in quite some time, wouldn't that be something if he pops up in WS, all grown up. The described mane color certainly matches. Up until he vanished, that boy was proving out to be one of the most skilled survivors around.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 09:29 PM by Mapokser )

I don't doubt Tumbelas were darted on Kruger and dropped on Singita.

I'm a bit skeptical about them walking all the way to the Western Sector by themselves.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I doub tthey would just drop 3 males near a defenseless struggling pride that still had cubs in it.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

I don't know if it's actually a new male but i hope it's none other than jr's son.

A new beginning of the delaporte coalition? Hahaha
Nkuhuma male, skorro jr, khanya and jr's son = the four amigos. Hopefully it comes to fruition and leading the charge is jr's son. He's had it rough thus far so therefore he's harden mentally.

The only member that worries me is Nkuhuma male. He seems like a runner as u see in any coalition scraps. There's always that one brother/partner jetting off leaving his comrades behind
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(04-18-2024, 05:33 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't doubt Tumbelas were darted on Kruger on stopped on Singita.

I'm a bit skeptical about them walking all the way to the Western Sector by themselves.

What?

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(04-18-2024, 05:33 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't doubt Tumbelas were darted on Kruger on stopped on Singita.

That is highly unlikely.

There would be no point in doing so. The SS-Manyeleti-Timbavati region is one of the more lion-abundant regions in a 2 million hectare ecosystem (and that excludes Mozambique and Zimbabwe) and so there would be no need to translocate animals when they can simply disperse on their own.

And while there have been very questionable, if not terrible, decisions made in terms of translocating lions across Kruger, those decisions were made by officials working for the state-run KNP. 

The SS region is a collection of private reserves whose game management decisions are better informed by ecology and local population dynamics (not to say they are perfect but more often than not, they make ecologically sound decisions). 

So, keeping that in mind, as well as the fact that the Otthawa pride had an ancient HB and vulnerable cubs, it wouldn't make sense for SS to dart three nomadic males and drop them all they way in Singita.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

criollo2mil Online
Contributor

The 2 oldest Southern pride female cubs

born in february 2023, the first cubs sired by Gijimas

Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve
? Ruan Mey

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(04-18-2024, 09:20 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The 2 oldest Southern pride female cubs

born in february 2023, the first cubs sired by Gijimas

Funny how left cub resembles DM Gijimas while right LM Gijima.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I didn't realize the autocorrect screwed me up, I edited it.

I meant I don't doubt Tumbelas were darted on Kruger and dropped on Singita.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Rabubi I didn't say SS could have done it, I doubt it's even within their power.

They must answer to Kruger in serious stuff related to the animals. I think Kruger might have done it.

Something about the Tumbelas was fishy, with them losing some members and the others getting sick. There was also, IIRC, word of lions leaving Kruger back then.

I don't doubt they darted them and dropped them in a "safe" area where they were unlikely to escape again, and also, an area without much updates, like Singita.

I also doubt they'd care for the Othawa pride situation, not to say that there was no guarantee the Tumbelas would oust HB and not the OM, or even go to some other area in SS or Manyeleti.

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

@Mapokser

Wait, you think Tumbelas where relocated to northern Singita? Without any evidence to support these claims.

Calm down a bit with "conspiracy theories".

Northern Singita is ~10 km from Kruger to the east and from Manyeleti to the north, areas where these males where seen before thru 2019 and early 2020.

They where also in northern Sabi Sands in late 2019.

Northern Singita was empty area at that time, so its nothing unusual that nomadic males who ventured there, stayed there.