There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2024, 11:44 PM by afortich )

(04-21-2024, 10:29 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I really thought she'd be denning by this time.

I hope she stays out of trouble and rebuild the Tsalala pride. So glad for the update, nice video.
2 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

(04-21-2024, 10:29 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I really thought she'd be denning by this time.

The latest Londolozi blog mentioned her calling and roaring so it could be that something has happened to the litter and she's looking for a mate again.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-22-2024, 01:00 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:

The latest Londolozi blog mentioned her calling and roaring so it could be that something has happened to the litter and she's looking for a mate again.

NOOOOO!!!  That is sad.  Sad
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Or more likely, she never was pregnant at all and this is just her going into estrus after a while.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-22-2024, 02:22 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Or more likely, she never was pregnant at all and this is just her going into estrus after a while.

Also possible, but I think a few guides said she was pregnant and looking for a den site in that rocky area.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Without an urine sample its pretty much impossible to tell if a lioness is pregnant, and even that is concidered unreliable. Even zoos with near are struggling with this, so safari guides can do little more than speculate. Once everyone is hoping for cubs, its easy to confuse normal behavoir for pregnancies.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2024, 05:53 AM by Cath2020 )

(04-21-2024, 05:22 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

By the way, for those of you still slightly wondering, Tiyelele is technically their aunt.  I asked one of the guides outright, and the answer was not doubtful.  He didn't even say he wasn't quite sure.  I guess spending so much time following these lions in person, he would recognize the mothers and their cubs.  

Another super aunt helping keep the pride alive.  What a lovely thing to see.  She didn't abandon them, she took them on as her own.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(04-20-2024, 09:22 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 06:03 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Back in March 5th, there was a sighting of 3 of the young Sand River Males....two of which hardly had any mane, so thought they could be lionesses, but when they passed the vehicle, all 3 were clearly males. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4JATlZR0Qx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Now a more recent clip indicates that these 3 are still together, put up less than a day ago.  At least one of the them looks to have much more mane growth.  All of them seem to be in excellent condition, with no hip bones or limps seen.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C582dllvotA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I was always confused on the ages of the sand river young males but I think they’re 3 in a half maybe 4 years old but been on their own for awhile and I believe the Nkhulus killed one of the oldest males

Yes, I believe so too.  There were at least two much older ones before the 6 were born to the Mantemahle daughters.  The oldest 4 belong to the oldest females, and now the last one seems to be missing.  There also seems to be one older S. Avoca daughter missing.... however the good news is that 3 of the others seem to be accepted by the Nkhulus, including one between 2-3 years old.

Not sure what happened to oldest lioness as she didn't look too old to die yet... and one of the missing younger females.  I remember her watching Snip Tail take out her youngest cub, then she went to the spot after he carried the cub away, sniffing and whining.

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The beautiful Tsalala Queen

3 users Like afortich's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

She was never seen denning even recently as she never conceived the Young Skorro Male's cubs.  She is only starting to show darkening suckle marks, but since they don't hang down yet enough, she clearly has not given birth, in my opinion.  She could be pregnant or it was a false estrous she went through with the PCMs. If she was pregnant with the YS Male's cubs, they would have been born before April for sure.  Someone also mentioned that she is not yet due to give birth to the PCM cubs....  I need to recheck when she mated with the latter, to see how far along any pregnancy should last
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Cath2020 would it be possible to ask for more details, like if it is confirmed or just the guide's hunch? To my knowledge it was impossible to know who's the mother of the Talamati cubs.

While I like Matimbas more, they have a huge legacy already with tons of grandcubs, while Selatis have no confirmed grandcubs at all and their only legacy is the old Ximhungwe and Tiyelele so I was hoping the subs or at least one of them was Tiyelele's cub.

Ximhungwe is getting older and doesn't seem interested in mating for now so it might be too late for her 1,5-2 years from now when the current cubs reach independence.

And as for Tieylele, she's in a tough spot, especially if the female sub don't make it to help her rebuild the pride, putting the Selati males' legacy at risk of disappearing.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(04-22-2024, 06:01 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 09:22 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 06:03 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Back in March 5th, there was a sighting of 3 of the young Sand River Males....two of which hardly had any mane, so thought they could be lionesses, but when they passed the vehicle, all 3 were clearly males. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4JATlZR0Qx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Now a more recent clip indicates that these 3 are still together, put up less than a day ago.  At least one of the them looks to have much more mane growth.  All of them seem to be in excellent condition, with no hip bones or limps seen.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C582dllvotA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I was always confused on the ages of the sand river young males but I think they’re 3 in a half maybe 4 years old but been on their own for awhile and I believe the Nkhulus killed one of the oldest males

Yes, I believe so too.  There were at least two much older ones before the 6 were born to the Mantemahle daughters.  The oldest 4 belong to the oldest females, and now the last one seems to be missing.  There also seems to be one older S. Avoca daughter missing.... however the good news is that 3 of the others seem to be accepted by the Nkhulus, including one between 2-3 years old.

Not sure what happened to oldest lioness as she didn't look too old to die yet... and one of the missing younger females.  I remember her watching Snip Tail take out her youngest cub, then she went to the spot after he carried the cub away, sniffing and whining.

Yeah I would love to see the entire pride but sadly they don’t come to sabi sands often all we know is recent video 3 young males and then 5 females with 1 nkhulu
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(04-22-2024, 06:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Cath2020 would it be possible to ask for more details, like if it is confirmed or just the guide's hunch? To my knowledge it was impossible to know who's the mother of the Talamati cubs.

While I like Matimbas more, they have a huge legacy already with tons of grandcubs, while Selatis have no confirmed grandcubs at all and their only legacy is the old Ximhungwe and Tiyelele so I was hoping the subs or at least one of them was Tiyelele's cub.

Ximhungwe is getting older and doesn't seem interested in mating for now so it might be too late for her 1,5-2 years from now when the current cubs reach independence.

And as for Tieylele, she's in a tough spot, especially if the female sub don't make it to help her rebuild the pride, putting the Selati males' legacy at risk of disappearing.

Aren’t one or two of the msutlu females daughters of one or two of selati girls potentially all I’ve heard was the matimba daughter gave birth first the male everyone calls khanya his mother was silver eyes sister and darkmane jr was silver eyes son but all of that is unconfirmed but yeah selatis have no grandsons potentially
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline
New Join

It seems that the larger Plains Camp male has mated with one of the Ntsevu lionesses... according to this report by Londolozi:

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/04/22/the-plains-camp-males-and-one-ntsevu-lioness-meet/
5 users Like Vengeous's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The larger of the two Plans Camp Males gaze towards our vehicle. This particular male’s mane and muscular body make him possibly the largest male lion in the Sabi Sand at the moment. A gene that any lioness would be happy to pass on through her bloodline.

Londolozi Game Reserve
Phot credit: Dan Hirschowitz

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like T I N O's post