There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 02:03 PM by Amnon242 )

kruger, bengal, amur (not my photo)

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

amur, dont know if its male or female (not my photo)

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 02:06 PM by Amnon242 )

5,5 yo...well over 250 kg (not my photo)

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

kruger

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

african (probably east african)...pitbull like creature, but rather small - 160-170 kg (my estimate)

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

My photo. Kruger and tigress snarling at each other

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Amnon242's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author
bengal

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 08:39 PM by Rishi )

@peter By the total absence of belly-mane it seems like a first generation in Europe. Do you have any details on him?

Edit: This source confirmed that he's from Singapore night-safari.

Old asiatic lion Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo, Rotterdam

©Tim Hulsen

3 users Like Rishi's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

RISHI

Unfortunately, I have nothing on the old Blijdorp Zoo lion. I do know that quite a few European zoos have Asiatic lions.
1 user Likes peter's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(09-07-2018, 07:28 PM)Rishi Wrote: @peter By the total absence of belly-mane it seems like a first generation in Europe. Do you have any details on him?

Edit: This source confirmed that he's from Singapore night-safari.

Old asiatic lion Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo, Rotterdam

©Tim Hulsen

An old-timer for sure
1 user Likes chaos's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 08:44 AM by Rage2277 )

proper asiatic lioness in london zoo
2 users Like Rage2277's post

United States Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #1310: I believe that the Zurich zoo is famous as concerns its Indian lions...

video from Peter Bolliger:

And this last one from Reto Kurmann.
3 users Like Spalea's post

China Smilodon-Rex Offline

Asiatic Lion roaring in Gujarat
3 users Like Smilodon-Rex's post

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

Marjan last lion of Afganistan

He was the last Afghanistan's lion, Marjan. Born in 1976, he was sent to Kabul in 1978, as a gift from Germany. At the end of soviet occupation, in 1989, Afghanistan entered a period of civil war that lasted until 1992. Kabul plunged into chaos. Its zoo was in the middle of battlefield. It was bombed several times and lost its nursing station. In 1995, a soldier entered lion enclosure to show his bravery, and stroke Chucha, Marjan's lioness. Starving, Marjan attacked and killed him. The following day soldier's brother threw a grenade at lion's face. Marjan lost his sight, his hearing and a part of his jaw. The soldier's brother was murdered a week later.
In 1996, Taliban invaded Kabul and left the zoo abandoned. The zoo's employees who no longer received a salary begged for money to feed the animals. But many of animals died and some were even killed and eaten by starving population. Twenty-six years earlier, the zoo was home to 417 animals. But in 1998, only 19 were still alive, including the lions. People regularly threw stones at them.
When the Americans took over Kabul in November 2001, after six weeks of bombing, Marjan was Afghanistan's last lion. That's when the world discovered his story. He received veterinary care for the first time in years. Unfortunately he died several weeks later, in January 2002. Turned into a symbol of Kabul's suffering, a memorial was created in his honor inside the zoo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjan_(lion)
4 users Like Nyers's post

United States Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Nyers : I remember having read the Marjan's story after its death.Deeply moving...

But what about the animals in the zoos in Irak when the american soldiers invaded the country ? Marjan became a symbol after the russian army departure. Are there other animals becoming famous in other destroyed countries ?