There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

United States Blackleopard Offline
Banned

(09-08-2016, 03:34 AM)Amnon242 Wrote: Well over 700 lbs? Never ... :-)

BTW how tall is the man?

Yes, the lion looks huge, but you have to look carefully and imagine the lion without the impressive mane.

BTW he says that the white tiger is 650 lbs, but I see a completely average tiger.

I think its a pretty experienced trainer Clayton Rosaire, so I'm sure its pretty accurate, the weights I think can fluctuate depending upon whether its summer or winter, they eat less in the summer because of the heat.

I agree many cats don't get much beyond 600 lbs unless their fed a lot, which is expensive, generally they're just fed enough.  Some of the largest tigers I had seen, did not weigh 700 lbs, but generally topped out around 600 lbs.  A young white lion I saw, only around 4 years old, was already over 500 lbs, and is now confirmed to weigh over 600 lbs.  So its little doubt that lion will be getting close to 700 when fully grown and filled out.  This is why I was curious if you guys had any of the top validated weights for captive non neutered tigers.
1 user Likes Blackleopard's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Here is an authentic 550 lbs male lion.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-08-2016, 05:32 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Here is an authentic 550 lbs male lion.

That's aslan, he's the largest lion in Europe.
Apparently, @Pantherinae used to volunteer with him.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States Blackleopard Offline
Banned

But that video kind of proves what I'm wondering, when you actually step on the scales, no exaggeration, will the tiger really weigh as much as a lion of similar size and fed the same.  In this case it wasn't even close. My guess is they would of tried to match a decent size tiger against it in the weigh off.  So is the tigers body actually lighter?  And I'd bet that tigers forearms were still thicker than the male lion.  But its likely a few inches on the arms doesn't impact overall weight that much as opposed to the whole frame and body being thicker.
1 user Likes Blackleopard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 05:12 PM by Pckts )

(09-08-2016, 12:11 PM)Blackleopard Wrote: But that video kind of proves what I'm wondering, when you actually step on the scales, no exaggeration, will the tiger really weigh as much as a lion of similar size and fed the same.  In this case it wasn't even close. My guess is they would of tried to match a decent size tiger against it in the weigh off.  So is the tigers body actually lighter?  And I'd bet that tigers forearms were still thicker than the male lion.  But its likely a few inches on the arms doesn't impact overall weight that much as opposed to the whole frame and body being thicker.
In this case, that lion is the largest and heaviest lion in Europe. He's a freak of a lion or big cat for that matter.
Also note, tigers are just as large in the chest and neck, the only area where they "seem" to be thinner is there hind section. But since they are longer in body with a more rounded spine and vertical stripes, all of those factors come into play. Even the way their bodies look when gorged is different, view a tiger and lion from above and they are the same girth (more or less) but from directly behind they don't seem that way.  

If you want to see, go ahead and compare lions and tigers of equal weights, you'll see just how close they are in most measurements.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 10:23 PM by Amnon242 )

Size of felids has been discussed at this forum many times (and people with very good knowledge were involved). Result: 300 kg is the maximum for non obese felid. And felid of this size is really very rare. Private breeders often overestimate the weight of their animals. Even 200 kg felid is very impressive (particularly lion).
2 users Like Amnon242's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger "Conan"

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Betty's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert

@Betty

Impressive size. Where was that from? I'd guess at least 600 lbs.
1 user Likes Kingtheropod's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-06-2016, 02:55 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 02:13 AM)Apollo Wrote: As per scientific and reliable data (wild animals in particular).

Tigers (Bengals and Amurs) have the biggest paws, canines, forearm girths and upperarm girths of any bigcats.
When it comes to chest girths and neck girths its the Bengals which comes first among all bigcats followed by lions and amurs.

but when you see tiger and lion of same size, you´ll se that tiger has more muscular arms, while lion has more robust body.

When it comes to same weight, the lion will have a slight advantage over the tiger interms of chest girth. Its because of its shorter body.
But overall the tiger (amur and bengal) is a bigger cat, hence it will have longer body, heavier weight, bigger chest, limb and neck girths at average and at maximums.
The data clearly proves it.

The robust appearance of the lions is mainly due to visual appearance effects.

1) The tan colour of the lion helps to show the size and muscle definition better, stripes of the tiger will breakdown the outline and size. Fat people prefer wearing striped dresses to appear thin.

2) Slightly slender limbs of the lions will appreciate its body size than the tiger's thicker limbs.

3) A straight back gives the lion a robust look, the grouping of the stripes in the back and a curved back gives the tiger a slender appearance.

4) Lions more tucked in stomach gives it a more chesty appearance.

5) The mane plays a huge roll in making the lion look much bigger than it actually is.

Just look at the following set of image to see what differences a slight visual modifications can bring in.

I would say its far more accurate to stick on to the actual reliable measurements than coming to conclusions based on visual appearance alone.
5 users Like Apollo's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

(09-09-2016, 04:46 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: @Betty

令人印象深刻的大小。哪里是来自哪里?我猜至少有600磅。

Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary
2 users Like Betty's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(09-09-2016, 06:19 AM)Apollo Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 02:13 AM)Apollo Wrote: As per scientific and reliable data (wild animals in particular).

Tigers (Bengals and Amurs) have the biggest paws, canines, forearm girths and upperarm girths of any bigcats.
When it comes to chest girths and neck girths its the Bengals which comes first among all bigcats followed by lions and amurs.

but when you see tiger and lion of same size, you´ll se that tiger has more muscular arms, while lion has more robust body.

When it comes to same weight, the lion will have a slight advantage over the tiger interms of chest girth. Its because of its shorter body.

Yes. I talked about same size (weight) animals, so Im glad you confirmed my opinion.
1 user Likes Amnon242's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-10-2016, 12:14 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:

Yes. I talked about same size (weight) animals, so Im glad you confirmed my opinion.

You welcome.

I guess I couldve stopped with the first sentence instead of writing a long reply in my previous post.
lol

This is a better way to put it

"In general when it comes to same weight, the lion will have a slight advantage over the tiger interms of chest girth (exceptions do occur). Its because of its shorter body."
1 user Likes Apollo's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(09-10-2016, 12:30 AM)Apollo Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:14 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:

You welcome.

I guess I couldve stopped with the first sentence instead of writing a long reply in my previous post.
lol

This is a better way to put it

"In general when it comes to same weight, the lion will have a slight advantage over the tiger interms of chest girth (exceptions do occur). Its because of its shorter body."

No problem :-) And I think you are right when it comes to optical illusiions. When you see a tiger and lion of same weight, the lion would look bigger...the reasons for this are mentioned by you.
1 user Likes Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

amur male

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

barbary

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like Amnon242's post