There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(06-21-2022, 07:35 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 03:59 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: An interesting picture, which has caused some online confusion as to whether this is a leopard or a jaguar:

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/vh1qtq/oc_i_went_to_the_zoo_today_and_saw_a_beautiful/

Commentary from the original poster:

Quote:It is indeed a leopard. 
The exhibit was for leopards and the zoo handler who was providing knowledge on these animals said most people will confuse a juvenile leopard for a jaguar and vice versa. When the cubs are around this age, their spots are starting to develop and a jaguar (when fully mature) will have a tan dot with a black outline and a bold black dot in the middle. If you look at the spots on her back, you’ll notice their are some spots that look exactly like this but that’s because she is still growing and as she matures that large black dot in the center will get smaller and smaller and in some cases will almost seem to disappear. 
Another way to distinguish is her face. She has a more rounded face as a jaguar cub will have a more boxy shape to their face until they mature and it takes a more rounded shape. 
Lastly, it is not uncommon for leopards to have bright colored eyes when in youth and as they mature the color will become more dull and for most, will eventually turn into a yellow, brown and amber color to blend in with their natural habitat. 
If only the zoo handler could see me now, dispensing the knowledge I’ve learned.

Jaguar
100%

That’s what I thought too - big round head, chunky body and short legs. She certainly doesn’t look like any juvenile leopard I’ve ever seen. But this was apparently contradicted by the zookeeper (assuming the original poster wasn’t telling porkies).

I’d sure like to know which zoo the photo was taken at!

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-22-2022, 12:52 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 07:35 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 03:59 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: An interesting picture, which has caused some online confusion as to whether this is a leopard or a jaguar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/vh1qtq/oc_i_went_to_the_zoo_today_and_saw_a_beautiful/

Commentary from the original poster:

Quote:It is indeed a leopard. 
The exhibit was for leopards and the zoo handler who was providing knowledge on these animals said most people will confuse a juvenile leopard for a jaguar and vice versa. When the cubs are around this age, their spots are starting to develop and a jaguar (when fully mature) will have a tan dot with a black outline and a bold black dot in the middle. If you look at the spots on her back, you’ll notice their are some spots that look exactly like this but that’s because she is still growing and as she matures that large black dot in the center will get smaller and smaller and in some cases will almost seem to disappear. 
Another way to distinguish is her face. She has a more rounded face as a jaguar cub will have a more boxy shape to their face until they mature and it takes a more rounded shape. 
Lastly, it is not uncommon for leopards to have bright colored eyes when in youth and as they mature the color will become more dull and for most, will eventually turn into a yellow, brown and amber color to blend in with their natural habitat. 
If only the zoo handler could see me now, dispensing the knowledge I’ve learned.

Jaguar
100%

That’s what I thought too - big round head, chunky body and short legs. She certainly doesn’t look like any juvenile leopard I’ve ever seen. But this was apparently contradicted by the zookeeper (assuming the original poster wasn’t telling porkies).

I’d sure like to know which zoo the photo was taken at!
I can say whatever I want on the internet but doesn’t make it true. There’s no zoo given or name of anyone who made that claim. The fact is that it’s a Jaguar, there’s 0 chance of it being anything else. The poster is trying to save face after misrepresenting what it was.

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(06-22-2022, 03:58 PM)Pckts Wrote: I can say whatever I want on the internet but doesn’t make it true.

Yeah I know lol. That’s why I linked this video - I was being tongue-in-cheek. :)
1 user Likes LandSeaLion's post

India Hello Offline

liger in good shape.

3 users Like Hello's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Hippos in Caricuao Zoo in Caracas, Venezuela

6 users Like epaiva's post

India Hello Offline

Simba the largest lion

Weight = 375 kg
Height = 1.12 m at shoulders
Height at head = 1.52 m
Total length = 3.2 m
Neck girth = 1.32 m
1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Angolan lion (Panthera leo bleyenberghi)

Father: Matadi (Leipzig zoo, Germany)

Son: Malik (Chemnitz zoo, Germany)

Source: ZooChat
2 users Like Hello's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Cheetah and mountain lion.

3 users Like Lycaon's post

Egypt Leopardfan56 Offline
New Join

@Pantherinae Hello,

I was wondering if you knew Aslan the lion's shoulder height or that you can give some estimates on his height.

Thanks. Lol

India Hello Offline

Southwest African lion (P. leo. bleyenberghi) of Namibian origin.
3 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Somalian lion (P. leo. somaliensis)

4 users Like Hello's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2022, 12:57 AM by Ashutosh )

A big male called Rajkumar from Gorewada zoo in Nagpur. Most likely has genes from Tadoba and adjoining reserves. Looks like a chunkier version of some Tadoba males as well:

2 users Like Ashutosh's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

Wonderful news from Adelaide Zoo - Delilah the Sumatran tigress has given birth to a beautiful trio of healthy cubs:

This is also fantastic news for the conservation of critically endangered Sumatran tigers, as there are only several hundred still living in the wild.
2 users Like LandSeaLion's post

India Hello Offline

Claimed 'barbary' named Zamba. He is most likely a zoomix lion, but there might be a possibility that he may have barbary blood.

Credits: Debbie VanStory
2 users Like Hello's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Delhi Zoo
3 users Like Pckts's post