There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

I would like to clarify something. This is my photo of Igor when he was 5yo (2015). He was around 220 kg (weighted). This is official figure by the zoo and it is in accordance with my own estimate. Reason for this statement: I have been told that some fanboy said something like "When I look at this photo Im 200% sure, that he is under 220 kg, he is too thin and Im top expert when it comes to estimating the weight of tigers from photos".

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 02:03 AM by Amnon242 )

and another thing: this is some man with barbary lion. This is not my photo and I absolutely dont know who it is (in other words this is not me, ok?). Ive just found it...and blurred the face. Anyway I have seen that lion in persona

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

This one is amur called Tiber and he is 7yo

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Igor again 6yo and 9yo (bars). As I said before 115 cm at the shoulders. Not my photos

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

amur called Baikal. Around 250 kg at the age of 12 (or 13). Not my photo. Medium height, long, somewhat overweight...

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Cheetah-like amur (my photo). As I noticed these tall and slim amurs are not uncommon...

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

My photo, I dont know the weight of this amur male, but when it comes to size he was very comparable to white bengal called Paris (I have posted many photos of him) who was around 220 kg (weighted). And when saw I him I thought that he is a perfect example of typical (average) amur tiger.

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 02:46 AM by Amnon242 )

But this bengal male is much larger...not my photo, but I have seen him in persona

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 04:22 AM by Amnon242 )

My photo. This amur male (with adult female) is around 290 kg (weighted). When it comes to height, he is similar to Igor. He is overweight, but he was terribly obese before...so he was probably over 300 kg back then. Private zoo. Former owner knew nothing about animals and fed him with with an unsuitable diet. New owner (who is a biologist) has been shocked by the terrible condition of morbidly obese tiger. But he managed to reduce his weight to 290 kg...but there is still some room for reduction...

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
Smile  ( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 02:57 AM by Amnon242 )

I made this photo from a book called "Tygr" by prof. Zdenek Veselovsky https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zden%C4%9B...ovsk%C3%BD  BTW in this book there is some info on the most important problem in the Universe - tiger vs lion fight. If you are interested, contact me by pm and I will give you the details  
*This image is copyright of its original author

Growth of captive bengals, 2 males, 1 female. Days and 2 years.

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 03:10 AM by Amnon242 )

When it comes the weights of young tigers, I have this info: 

amur male Clyde, 1yo - 140 kg (son of monster called Skip - I dont know the weight of Skip). 

amur male Oliver, 1yo - 99 kg

white males Liam and Sambur, 1yo - both 100 kg (sons of Paris who was 220 kg at the age of 8)

amur male Josef, 17mo - 140 kg

malayan male Kavi, 2yo - 135 kg (quite surprising...I have seen him many times in his prime and I estimate him to be around 140 kg)

amur male Igor, 2,5 yo - 180 kg

white male Nanu, 2years, 9 months - 250 kg 

amur male Jupiter, 4 years + 2 months - 196 kg

amur female Altaica, 1,5 yo - 115 kg

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 04:20 AM by Amnon242 )

BTW In my life I have seen perhaps 50 amur tigers and similar number of lions. I would say that average captive amur males are 210 - 220 kg. African lions are 180 - 190 Kg on average (with surprisingly big differencies), while asiatic are somewhat smaller, around 170 kg (but on the other hand very similar to each other when it comes to size and appearance).

Bengal tigers: I have seen only 4 adult males. One was "normal" and Im not sure how pure he was. He was not big, probably under 180 kg, but Id say he was not fully adult. The others were white, Paris was 220 kg, but the other two were substantially larger. So...

This is my personal estimate...take it or leave it...

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-26-2020, 04:17 AM)Amnon242 Wrote: BTW In my life I have seen perhaps 50 amur tigers and similar number of lions. I would say that average captive amur males are 210 - 220 kg. African lions are 180 - 190 Kg on average (with surprisingly big differencies), while asiatic are somewhat smaller, around 170 kg (but on the other hand very similar to each other when it comes to size and appearance).

Bengal tigers: I have seen only 4 adult males. One was "normal" and Im not sure how pure he was. He was not big, probably under 180 kg, but Id say he was not fully adult. The others were white, Paris was 220 kg, but the other two were substantially larger. So...

This is my personal estimate...take it or leave it...

You're lucky to have seen so many Amur's, they're much harder to come by here in the states. I've seen tons of North American Bengals and Africans in Captivity but never an Amur or Asiatic Lion.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Look at the musculature and physique of this Mexican jaguar, breathtaking is an understatement

1 user Likes Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 03:57 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Ogum male and Gabriela female.

NEX