There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

And this is that 178 kg asiatic. The biggest asiatic I have ever seen. Not my photo

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

interesting photo. I dont know anything about those tigers...

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Sri Lankan male. My photo. If I should choose the most beautifull animal on earth, I would choose Sri Lankan Leopard. And they are quite big...I have seen african, amur, chinese, javan, sri lankan and persial leopards. Javan is definitely the smallest. African, amur and chinese are basiclly of the same size (chinese perhaps little smaller). Sri Lankan are obviously bigger. Bud perisan leopards are definitely the biggest, they are different league...(talking from my experience).

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Malayan female. She had seruious fight with african lioness. My photo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

thats the lioness. Bleyenberghi. The male is beautifull but rather smallish. My photo. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

As far as I know this is subadult amur male. Captive (in private ownership).

Attached Files Image(s)

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 07:10 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Lets check some cerrado jags from IOP ( Instituto Onça Pintada )

credits: Leandro Silveira president of IOP

''When they aren't eating they're all sweet like house cats but at lunch time...''

Tupã cerrado male and Maya cerrado female at lunch time ( with Maya female being the more aggressive as usual Funny  )

Maya female suddenly scaring the crap out of Leandro Laughing

Taking Mamba to meet Luna.

Tufão cerrado male was lucky enough to earn the Rhea carcass that got run over by a car.

Taking Tufão cerrado male to learn how to mark territory

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

4.9 years old #Asiatic Lion #Pavan who was recently brought from Indore was finally released in  #Katraj Zoo of Pune, Maharashtra.

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Rishi's post

India Hello Offline

(03-16-2020, 12:39 PM)Rishi Wrote: 4.9 years old #Asiatic Lion #Pavan who was recently brought from Indore was finally released in  #Katraj Zoo of Pune, Maharashtra.

He doesn't look pure Asiatic to me.@Rishi what do you think?
1 user Likes Hello's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 02:28 PM by Rishi )

(03-16-2020, 01:58 PM)Hello Wrote: He doesn't look pure Asiatic to me.@Rishi what do you think?

Not impossible... India crossbred Asiatic and African lions at some point, that practices stopped now. But I am not well informed on whether their progeny continued to take part in any breeding, as this guy is quite young.
He could have some African blood, or not. Hard to tell in this case (unlike many genetic cocktails who can be easily identified). Some captive asiatics may grow mane like that.

They never actually said it though. I just assumed that he is Asiatic, as he is the replacement for previous dead Asiatic male called Tejas.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(03-16-2020, 02:19 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 01:58 PM)Hello Wrote: He doesn't look pure Asiatic to me.@Rishi what do you think?

Not impossible... India crossbred Asiatic and African lions at some point, that practices stopped now. But I am not well informed on whether their progeny continued to take part in any breeding, as this guy is quite young.
He could have some African blood, or not. Hard to tell in this case (unlike many genetic cocktails who can be easily identified). Some captive asiatics may grow mane like that.

Knowing that crossing African and Asiatic lions results as being catastrophic, I would easily believe it's an Asiatic lion. The mane doesn't amaze me, after all it's a captive lion from now on. But it looks rather stocky built !
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 03:14 PM by Rishi )

(03-16-2020, 02:30 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 02:19 PM)Rishi Wrote:

Knowing that crossing African and Asiatic lions results as being catastrophic, I would easily believe it's an Asiatic lion. The mane doesn't amaze me, after all it's a captive lion from now on. But it looks rather stocky built !

No, I'd say @Hello has a good eye for these stuff.  Like  It occurred to me too, but then the 500-odd captive stock may have some differences. Stockyness or mane aren't reliable checkers. Best bet is the facial shape & features & the eyes.

For example, these two are definitely crosses... 100%

And you could bet on these 3 being pure Asian.

But with him I'm not so sure at all.
2 users Like Rishi's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(03-16-2020, 12:39 PM)Rishi Wrote: 4.9 years old #Asiatic Lion #Pavan who was recently brought from Indore was finally released in  #Katraj Zoo of Pune, Maharashtra.

Looks like there is a bit of African blood in him, especially the look of his face. Most Asian lions I've seen in pictures (never seen them in real life) have little bit deformed facial characteristics when compared to African lions like oversized face and somehow strange looking facial features.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(03-16-2020, 04:01 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Looks like there is a bit of African blood in him, especially the look of his face. Most Asian lions I've seen in pictures (never seen them in real life) have little bit deformed facial characteristics when compared to African lions like oversized face and somehow strange looking facial features.
I'm agree. Asiatic lion seemed to have a body a little more emaciated, and a face more "battered", specialy the males...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

India Hello Offline

(03-15-2020, 06:35 PM)Amnon242 Wrote: this is probably amur male, judging by the size (not my photo)

Hi @Amnon242 Is this amur comparable in height to Igor(very tall,240kg) according to your observation and have you ever been to tiger oasis?