There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Wolf Directory

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:29 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Wolf 255F

a.    Possible Breeder of the Druid Pack in 2005
b.    Bred with 480M in 2005.
c.     Died of unknown causes in 2005
d.    Grand-Daughter of 9F

Recap

ID : 255F
Sex : Female
Color : Black
Lifespan : April 2001- November 4th 2005 [4 1/2 years old]
Birth Pack : Druid Peak Pack
Mate : 
  • 480M
  • 302M aka "The Casanova"
Ancestry : 
  • Daughter of 103F & 21M
  • Grand-Daughter of 41F/38M & 9F/10M
  • Great Grand-Daughter of 39F [Mother of 41F]

Descendance :
  • 349M
  • 361M

Source of these informations : 
Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(2005)

(The link to the Wolf Annual Reports is in the first post of the thread)

*Edit of this post will come in shorter or later moments  !*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note* : I transferred this thread to my forum : The Domain of the Wolf and updated and added many informations from the multiples sources I red. Hope it is understandable.  Also, there is a problem with the spacing between texts sometimes which i can't fix. Sorry for the inconvenience it might cause.

Although all the informations are based from my review, searches and documentation of my searches on the Internet, some informations can be, and are, inaccurate due to new papers coming out, new genetics analyses, etc etc.
1 user Likes TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:29 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Wolf #257M 
[Founding Member of The Cougar Creek & Founding Alpha Male of The Gibbon Meadows Pack]

a.    Dispersed from Cougar Creek in 2003.
b.    Possible Alpha Male of Gibbon Meadows in 2005
c.  Died in 2005 of unknown naturals causes

Recap

ID : #257M
Sex : Male
Color : Gray
Weight : Over 100 lbs [Feb 2001]
Birth Pack : Cougar Creek
Lifespan : April 2000- October 1st 2005 [5 years old]
Packs : 
  • Cougar Creek (? -2003)
  • Gibbon Meadows (2003-2005)
Status in Gibbon Meadows : 
  • Possible Alpha Male (2005)
Mates :
  • 151F
  • 537F

Descendance : 
  • 539F
  • 546M
  • "Tripod" aka 632F* [Founding Alpha Female of The Grayling Creek Pack]

Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(2003, 2004, 2005)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note* : I transferred this thread to my forum : The Domain of the Wolf and updated and added many informations from the multiples sources I red. Hope it is understandable.  Also, there is a problem with the spacing between texts sometimes which i can't fix. Sorry for the inconvenience it might cause.

Although all the informations are based from my review, searches and documentation of my searches on the Internet, some informations can be, and are, inaccurate due to new papers coming out, new genetics analyses, etc etc.

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf #258M 
[Founding Member of The Cougar Creek and Founding Member & Second Alpha Male of The Gibbon Meadows Pack]

a.    Born in the Cougar Creek Pack
b.    Uncollared since 2002
c.     Black Alpha Male of the Gibbon Meadows (?unknown date)
d.    Original founders with brother 482M of the Gibbon Meadows pack
e.  Unknown date of death.

Recap
ID : #258M
Weight : 
  • Over 100 lbs [February 2001]
Birth Pack : Cougar Creek
Lifespan : April 2000 – 2010 - ? [Lived for at least 10 years]
Packs : 
  • Cougar Creek
  • Gibbon Meadows
Status in Gibbon Meadows : Breeding Male/Alpha Male
Ancestry : Brother of 482M
Mates : 
  • 151F ?
  • 537F

Descendance : 

• 577M
  • 578F
  • 646F
  • 647M* [Founder of The Grayling Creek Pack]
  • 687M
  • 688M
  • 768F
  • 769M
  • 794F*

(2002)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:29 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #259F [Second Alpha Female of The Leopold Pack]

a.    Adult Black Wolf of Leopold killed by wolves in 2003
b.    Breeding Female of Leopold II in 2003.
c.     Second alpha female of Leopold (? Date?)
d.    Bred with 534M at least one time.
e.    Offspring of 2M and 7F
f.      Grand-Daughter of 9F

Recap

ID : #259F
Known Lifespan : April 2000 - April 21th 2003 [3 years old]
Birth Pack  : Leopold
Status in Leopold/Leopold II :
  • Alpha Female (2003)
Mate : 
  • 534M
Ancestry : 
  • Daughter of 7F & 2M 
  • Grand-Daughter of 9F/? & 5F/4M

Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports
"Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(2003)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Famous Wolf #286F [Fourth Alpha Female of The Druid Peak Pack]

a.    Druid Yearling Female in 2003
b.    Black Wolf
c.     Became the fourth alpha female of the Druid Pack after 42F death in Feb 2004 and bred with 21M
d.    Bred with 480M and 302M in 2005

Recap

ID : #286F
Weight : 
  • 77 lbs (35 kg) (January 2003) (Yearling)

Lifespan : April 2002- 2005 [Last seen at 3 years old]

Birth Pack : Druid Peak

Status in the Druid Pack :
  • Fourth Alpha Female (Succeed to 42F [Death])
Ancestry :
  • Daughter of "Half-Black" & 215M
  • Grand-Daughter of 42F/21M & 48F/72M
  • Great Grand-Daughter of 39F [Mother of 42F], 9F/10M [Parents of 21M] & 27F/28M [Parents of 48F]
Mates : 
  • 21M***
  • 302M aka "The Casanova"
  • 480M

Descendance : 
  • 529F*
  • Famous Wolf 569F*
  • 694F*

(2003, 2004, 2005)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:30 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #287M [Founding Alpha Male of The Hellroaring Creek Pack]

a.    Black Yearling of Leopold in 2003
b.    Dispersed from Leopold in Fall 2005 to form with 468M and some other leopold wolves the HellRoaring Creek Pack.
c.     First Alpha of Hellroaring.
d.    Fathered 4 pups to mate 353F in 2006, of which 3 survived to year end.
e.    Killed by other wolves in February 2007.

Recap

ID : #287M

Weight : 
  • 100 lbs as a yearling [January 2003]
  • 115 lbs (52 kg) (January 2005) (Adult)

Birth Pack : Leopold (2001)

Lifespan : April 2001-February 14th 2007 (Near 6 years)

Packs : 
  • Leopold (2002-2005)
  • Hellroaring Creek (2005-2007)
Status in Hellroaring Creek : 
  • Alpha Male
Ancestry :
  • Son of 7F & 2M
  • Grandson of 9F/? & 5F/4M
Mate : 
  • 353F

(2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:30 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Wolf #294M [Founding Alpha Male of The Geode Creek Pack]

a.    Alpha Male of Geode Creek in 2003 who died in April from an elk injury.
b.    Gray Wolf

Recap

ID : #294M

Weight : 
  • 110 lbs (50 kg) (January 2003) (Adult)

Pack : Geode Creek

Lifespan : ? – April 28th 2003

Status in Geode Creek : Alpha Male

Mate : 
  • 106F

Descendance : 
  • 351M
  • 392M
  • 483F*

Wolf 294M (Alpha Male of Geode Creek)

"In addition to pup mortality, the alpha male, #294, died while trying to kill an elk early in the denning season last April"

[April 2003]

Source : Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Report 2003

(2003)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf #300M [Second Alpha Male of Geode Creek]

a.    Presumedly the new alpha male of Geode Creek after 294M death but he disappeared in Oct 2003.
b.    Black Wolf

Recap

ID : #300M

Weight : 
  • 102 lbs (51 kg) (February 2003) (Adult)

Lifespan : ?-October 2003?

Ancestry : Druid origin ?

Packs : Geode Creek

Status in Geode Creek : Brief time as alpha male in 2003

(2003)

*Edit of this post will come in shorter or later moments  !*

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:30 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update For "The Casanova" ! )

The Famous Wolf 302M aka "The Casanova" 

[Longtime Beta Male of The Druid Peak Pack & Founding Alpha Male of The Blacktail Deer Plateau Pack]

a.    Part of his brother journey into Druid Territories in 2003 and #302M Group.
b.    Born to 2M and 7F in 2000
c.     Black Wolf
d.    Nicknamed “Casanova” (“The Lover”)
e.    Dispersed from Leopold
f.      Bred with Druid’s Females (3) in 2003 secretly but never join them
g.    Had his group named #302M group in 2003.
h.    These females (2) he bred left the Druid to join him in his group for a while in 2003.
i.      He bred U-Black and 255F in 2003 (2 Druid Females)
j.      He , his presumed brother 301M, 255F, U-Black and Half-Black formed the #302M Group in 2003 for a while.
k.     In 21M absence of the Druid Pack in 2004, he and another black wolf start spending time in the Druid Territory.
l.      They were often successfully chased off the area by new alpha 253M.
m.   He and the other wolf were then integrated 2 months laters.
n.    Bred with 286F in 2005.
o.    He is with 480M, the only adults males of Druid in 2007.
p.    He reached 8 years of age in 2008.
q.    Formed the Blacktail Plateau Pack in 2008 with 4 agate females and 5 yearling Druid males.
r.      He finally became the alpha male of a wolf pack at age 8.
s.     He was killed at age 9 by the other wolves in July 2009. (Probably by the Quadrant Mountain Pack)
t.      Father of 375F
u.    Grandson of 9F

Recap

ID : #302M

Nickname : “Casanova” or “The Casanova”

Weight : 95 lbs (43 kg) (February 2003) (Adult)

Lifespan : April 2000-July 2009 (9 years old)

Birth Pack : Leopold

Packs : 
  • Leopold
  • 302M Group
  • Druid Peak (2003-2008)
  • Blacktail Deer Plateau Pack (2008-2009)
Status in the Druid Peak Pack : 
  • Beta male and Breeding male
Status in Blacktail Deer Plateau Pack  : 
  • First Alpha Male  (Reach this status at 8 year of age)
Known for : Its passion for females wolves and not engaging in fights with males
Famous Brother : 480M
Ancestry : 
  • Son of 7F & 2M
  • Grandson of 9F/? & 5F/4M
Mates : 
  • 255F
  • 286F
  • "Half-Black" (Numbered 386F after death)
  • "U-Black" (427F)
  • 529F
  • 569F
  • 642F
  • 692F
  • 693F [Paired, not known to have mate]

Descendance :
  • 349M
  • 361M
  • 374M
  • 375F
  • 570M [Genetics evidence revealed that one of the 4 ID wolves born to the litter of 569F in 2006 was born to father 302M. 629M, 645F, 694F ? to 480M]
  • 830F*

*This image is copyright of its original author

"Wolf #302M [The Casanova] somehow survives and breeds by slipping between established pack territories."

Picture of Daniel R. Stahler (2003)

*This image is copyright of its original author

Photo Credits : Male wolf #302 & uncollared female in the snow near Lamar River bridge; Jim Peaco; January 30, 2004

Source : Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Report 2009

The "Casanova" (302M) (Alpha Male of Blacktail)

Quote:"Nine-year-old #302M was killed by other wolves (probably the Quadrant Mountain pack)."

"On the morning of October 8, #302M’s collar switched to mortality mode. His body was found a few miles south of Swan Lake, at the very edge of Blacktail pack territory. Outward signs of injury were minimal

but hemorrhaging was extensive beneath his hide, with many wolf-sized bite wounds. 

It is unknown what wolves were responsible; however, the area borders on Quadrant Mountain pack territory. The Quadrant pack had a carcass nearby and it is possible #302M visited the carcass either alone or with only a few pack mates. 

With two very large males, the Quadrants may have found #302M and a fight ensued. 

Wolf #302M was able to get away but his injuries were too extensive and he died sometime in the early morning hours. Small wolf tracks around his body suggested that at least a few of his six-month old pups stayed with him for some time. By the end of 2009, the Blacktail pack numbered five adults and four pups. The position of alpha male was assumed by #302M’s nephew, a large gray called “Big Brown.” [later collared as 778M]. No doubt the wisdom, sagacity, and judgment taught by #302M will enable the Blacktail pack to continue their success. "

Wolf #302M’s extraordinary life provided us with a magnitude of insight into the lives of Yellowstone wolves. Every time #302M was observed hunting prey, howling to other wolves, chasing coyotes, or feeding his pups, it was documented and led in the Wolf Project of ce. In so many ways, his life has spoken volumes.

(Part of the inset story of the annual report by Kira Cassidy)

(2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:31 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Famous Wolf #303M [Second ? & Longtime Alpha Male of The Cougar Creek Pack] 

a.    Adult Black Wolf of Cougar Creek in 2003
b.    Still in Cougar Creek in 2006.

Recap

ID : #303M

Lifespan : (2000/2001) ? - October 2008 
Weight : 
  • 106 lbs (48 kg) (February 2003) (Adult)
  • 128 lbs (58 kg) (January 2006) (Adult)

Packs : Cougar Creek (2000/2001-2008)

Mate : 151F

Descendance : 
  • 291M
  • 388F
  • 389M
  • 390F
  • 434F
  • 477M
  • 479M
  • Famous Longtime Cougar Creek Alpha Female Wolf 478F [Oldest Wolf on Record in YNP History]*
  • 636M*

Descendance Legacy [Descendance Pups that produced known pups] in dark blue if alive :

953F/1204F [Daughter of 478F] [Current Alpha Female of Cougar Creek]

Living Legacy [Descendance Pups that have yet to produce pups or known pups (# or nicknamed)]

1198F & 1199F [Great Grand-Daughters] [Daughters of 953F/1204F] [Members of Cougar Creek]

(2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:31 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #327F

a.    Possible Alpha Female of Chief Joseph in 2005
b.    Died from mange complications in February 2005

Recap

ID : #327F

Pack : Chief Joseph (? - Feb 2005)

Lifespan : 2001 or earlier - February 7th 2005 

• Breeding Female in 2003
  • Possible Alpha Female in 2005

3 Mange related deaths occurred in 2005 :

Wolf 219M (Possible Alpha Male of Casey Lake)

Wolf 327F (Possible Alpha of Chief Joseph)

Wolf 352M (Disperser of Geode Creek)

Source : Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Report 2005

Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports

(2005)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:31 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Wolf #340F/B-340F [Founding Alpha Female of The Biscuit Basin Pack]

a.    Adult Female of Nez Perce who dispersed in 2003.
b.    Gray Wolf
c.     Formed the Biscuit Basin Pack in 2004
d.  The pack moved to Idaho and she was now known as B-340F.

Recap

ID : #340F aka B-340F

Weight : 
  • 95 lbs (43 kg) (November 2003) (Adult)
Lifespan : April 2000- December 2007/2008 [Disappeared in Dec 2007 and collar found in Sept 2008]

Birth Pack : Nez Perce

Packs : 
  • Nez Perce (2000- 2003)
  • Biscuit Basin (2004-2007/2008)
Ancestry : 
  • Daughter of 48F & 72M
  • Grand-Daughter of 27F/28M & ?/?

Descendance : 
  • 474M
  • 475F

(2003, 2004)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf #353F 
[Founding Member of The Geode Creek]
[Founding Alpha Female of The Hellroaring Creek Pack]

a.    Small Black Female of the Geode Creek Pack still remaining in 2003.
b.    Either her or 391F had the second litter of Geode Creek in 2004
c.     She dispersed the dissolving Geode Creek Pack of 2005 to join the HellRoaring Creek Pack.
d.    Alpha Female of HellRoaring Creek in 2005, 2006
e.    Gave birth to 4 pups to mate 287M of which 3 survived to year end in 2006.

Recap

ID : #353F

Weight : 
  • 86 lbs (39 kg) (November 2003) (Adult)

Lifespan : April 2001 - 2007 [Last seen at 6 years]

Packs : 
  • Druid Peak (2001- 2002/2003)
  • Geode Creek (2003- 2005)
  • Hellroaring Creek (2005-2007)
Status in Geode Creek : Breeding Female

Status in Hellroaring Creek : First Alpha Female (2005-2006-?)
Ancestry :
  • Daughter of 106F & 21M
  • Grand-Daughter of 41F/38M & 9F/10M
  • Great Grand-Daughter of 39F [Mother of 41F]
Mates : 
  • 227M
  • 287M

(2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf #356M

a.    Gray Yearling of Swan Lake in 2003
b.    Dispersed in 2005
c.     Killed by another wolf pack in January 2005
d.   Great Grandson of 9F

Recap

ID : 356M

Weight : 100 lbs (45 kg) (November 2003) (Yearling)

Pack : Swan Lake

Lifespan : April 2002- January 8th 2005 (Nearly 3 years old)

Status in Swan Lake : ?

Ancestry : 
  • Son of 152F & 204M
  • Grandson of 7F/2M
  • Great Grandson of 9F/? & 5F/4M

(2003, 2004, 2005)