There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Wolf Directory

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(03-22-2020, 05:52 AM)TheNormalGuy Wrote: Thanks.

No, it isn’t a error. The biggest wolf of YNP history was wolf #760M.

It weighed 148 pounds with an empty stomach in 2012.

I know that because i red about this wolf weight. Wolves sometimes, when darted for collaring, puke food.

This wolf, who was also captured in 2011 at 113 lbs, had this event. Only that nothing except bile came out of his mouth.

Wolf researchers found that wolves can stored up to 10 kg of meat (22 lbs) in their stomach.

Wolf 760M would have weighed 170 lbs if he was full 

To come back to #34M weight, i find it interesting too.

You aren’t the first to mention it, Dale Earnfart (Carnivora) also did.

My hypothesis is that it might have overcome a disease or some thing like this or it is simply an exception in all alphas.

It is hard to contact the biologists Douglas Smith or Rick McIntyre.

I haven’t been able to find how to contact them for this information about #34M

Thank you for the clarification on this. I am going to continue reading your topic about this incredible population and reintroduction case.

So the heaviest wolf was of 148 lb (67.1 kg) in an emtpy stomach, that is very interesting! Thank you again for sharing that.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

(03-22-2020, 05:56 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:52 AM)TheNormalGuy Wrote: Thanks.

No, it isn’t a error. The biggest wolf of YNP history was wolf #760M.

It weighed 148 pounds with an empty stomach in 2012.

I know that because i red about this wolf weight. Wolves sometimes, when darted for collaring, puke food.

This wolf, who was also captured in 2011 at 113 lbs, had this event. Only that nothing except bile came out of his mouth.

Wolf researchers found that wolves can stored up to 10 kg of meat (22 lbs) in their stomach.

Wolf 760M would have weighed 170 lbs if he was full 

To come back to #34M weight, i find it interesting too.

You aren’t the first to mention it, Dale Earnfart (Carnivora) also did.

My hypothesis is that it might have overcome a disease or some thing like this or it is simply an exception in all alphas.

It is hard to contact the biologists Douglas Smith or Rick McIntyre.

I haven’t been able to find how to contact them for this information about #34M

Thank you for the clarification on this. I am going to continue reading your topic about this incredible population and reintroduction case.

So the heaviest wolf was of 148 lb (67.1 kg) in an emtpy stomach, that is very interesting! Thank you again for sharing that.

You are quite welcome !
2 users Like TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:51 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #44F

a.    Female pup in Soda Butte as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Dispersed late 1999 but returned by the end of 1999.
c.     Subordinate female of Yellowstone Delta in 2003

Recap
ID : #44F
Sex : Female
Color : Black
Weight : 
- 50 lbs on October 7, 1996
- 110 lbs in January 1999

Lifespan : April 1996-2005 [9 years old]
Status in Soda Butte Pack (Renamed Yellowstone Delta later on) : 
  • Member (April 1996-1999, end of 1999-2005)
  • Subordinate (2003)
  • Possible Breeding Female
Ancestry : Daughter of 14F & 13M

Source of these informations : 
Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports
"Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003)

(The link to the Wolf Annual Reports is in the first post of the thread)

*Edit of this post will come in shorter or later moments  !*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note* : I transferred this thread to my forum : The Domain of the Wolf and updated and added many informations from the multiples sources I red. Hope it is understandable.  Also, there is a problem with the spacing between texts sometimes which i can't fix. Sorry for the inconvenience it might cause.

Although all the informations are based from my review, searches and documentation of my searches on the Internet, some informations can be, and are, inaccurate due to new papers coming out, new genetics analyses, etc etc.

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:51 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #45F

a.    Born to 14F
b.    Pup died of unknown causes in captivity in 1996

Recap
ID : #45F
Lifespan : April 1996- ? 1996 (Less than 1 year old)
Status in Soda Butte : Member (pup) (April 1996-? 1996)
Ancestry : 14F & 13M

(1995 and 1996)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note* : I transferred this thread to my forum : The Domain of the Wolf and updated and added many informations from the multiples sources I red. Hope it is understandable.  Also, there is a problem with the spacing between texts sometimes which i can't fix. Sorry for the inconvenience it might cause.

Although all the informations are based from my review, searches and documentation of my searches on the Internet, some informations can be, and are, inaccurate due to new papers coming out, new genetics analyses, etc etc.
1 user Likes TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:52 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #46M

a.    Pup of 27F that in April 1996 was injured in capture and had to be moved to captivity permanently where he died in 1999 of an illness

Recap
ID : #46M
Sex : Male
Color : Gray
Birth Year : 1996
Birth Pack : Nez Perce
Lifespan : April 1996 - 1999 [3 years]
Ancestry : Son of 27F & 28M
Death : In permanent captivity from 1996 to 1999 where he died of an illness

(1995 and 1996)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:52 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Color )

Wolf #47M

a.    Born to 27F
b.    Struck by vehicle in September 1996
c.     Location of Death : Madison Junction : YNP

Recap
ID : #47M
Lifespan : April 1996-September 1996 (5 months)
Status in Soda Butte Pack : Subordinate (April 1996-September 1996)
Ancestry : Son of 27F & 28M

(1995 and 1996)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:52 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Famous Wolf #48F [Second & Long Time Alpha Female of The Nez Perce Pack]

a. Pup born to presumely 27F of Nez Perce as of Dec 31 1996

b. Longtime alpha female of Nez Perce and still alpha in 2003.

c. Gray Wolf

d. Paired with 70M or 72M in 1997/1998

e. Killed at age 9 by the Gibbon Meadows Pack in December 2005.

f. She was at that point, the only alpha female of the pack since its “real” inception in 1998

Recap

ID : #48F

Weight : 97 lbs (44 kg) (November 2003) (Adult)

Lifespan : April 1996-December 2005 (9 years old)

Status in Nez Perce Pack : "First Alpha Female" (1997/1998-December 2005)*

Ancestry : Daughter of 27F and 28M

Mate : 70M or 72M

Descendance : 

191M

212F

213F

214F

215M*

249M

305M

306F

340F*

341F

342F

467M

476F

484M

Famous Mother 485F* [Mother of the Iconic Brothers 754M & 755M]

Famous Wolf 486F*

"White Lady's Mother" aka 540F or "The Longtime Hayden White Alpha Female"

Famous Wolf 534M* [Longtime 2nd & Last Alpha Male of The Leopold Pack History]

685M*

Legacy [Descendance that bred and produced known pups*] *Blue if alive* :

286F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 215M]

469F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 534M]

470F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 534M]

536F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 534M]

625F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 534M]

641M [Grandson] [Son of 486F]

712M [Grandson] [Son of 486F]

755M [Grandson] [Son of 485F]

758M [Grandson] [Son of 486F]

759F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 486F]

779F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 486F]

870F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 486F]

970F [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 486F]

"Ragged-Tail" [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 486F]

"The White Lady" aka "The Longtime Canyon Alpha Female" [Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 540F]

529F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 286F]

569F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 286F]

821F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 469F]

907F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of "Ragged-Tail"] [Longtime Alpha Female of Junction Butte and now one of at least 3 breeding females]

909F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 469F]

926F aka "Spitfire [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 755M]

969F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of "Ragged-Tail"]

978F/1239F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 779F] [Former Alpha Female of Mollie's] [Member of Mollie's]

1014M [Great-Grandson] [Son of 779F] [Current Alpha Male of The Wapiti Lake Pack]

1015M [Great-Grandson] [Son of 779F] [Current Alpha Male of the 8-Mile Pack and Former Alpha Male of Wapiti Lake]

1090F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 779F] [Current Alpha Female of Mollie's]

1118F [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 779F]

"The Wapiti White Alpha Female" [Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of "The White Lady"] [Founding & Current Longtime Alpha Female of The Wapiti Lake Pack]

1091F [Great Grand-Daughter & Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 755M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"]

1005F [Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 909F] [Founding Alpha Female of The Phantom Lake Pack] [Current Alpha Female of The 1005F/1200M Group]

1047M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 909F] [Current Alpha Male of Junction Butte]

1048M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 821F] [Current Beta Male of Junction Butte]

1106M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1015M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female] [Founding Alpha Male of The Phantom Lake Pack]

1109F [Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of either 907F or 969F] [One of at least 3 if not 4 breeding females of Junction Butte]

"Little-T" [Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 926F aka "Spitfire"] [Alpha Female of Lamar Canyon]

"UBF" [Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 907F or 969F] [Current Alpha Female of Junction Butte]

1104F [Great Great Grand-Daughter & Great Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 1015M and 1091F] [Localized in Grand Teton NP]

Living Legacy (Descendance still living and having yet to have pups or known pups [#/nicknames]) :

1155M [Great Grandson] [Son of 779F] [Lone Wolf]

996M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 821F] [Subordinate Member of Junction Butte]

1156M [Great Great Grandson] [Born in 2017 to Alphas 1015M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"] [Member of 8-Mile]

1201F and 1203F [Great Great Grand-Daughters] [Daughters of 1015M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"] [Members of Wapiti Lake]

1234M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1014M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"] [Member of Wapiti Lake]

1235F [Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of 1014M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"] [Member of Wapiti Lake]

1236M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1014M and "The Wapiti White Alpha Female"] [Member of Wapiti Lake]

1238M [Great Great Grandson] [Son of 978F/1239F] [Member of Mollie's]

1197F [Great Great Grand-Daughter or Great Great Great Grand-Daughter] [Daughter of either Beta 926F ("Spitfire") or her daughter (Alpha "Little-T")] [2 year old member of Lamar Canyon]

1230M [Great Great Grandson & Great Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1015M & "Brindle"] [Member of 8-Mile] 

1231M [Great Great Grandson & Great Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1015M & "Brindle"] [Member of 8-Mile] 

1232M [Great Great Grandson & Great Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1015M & "Brindle"] [Member of 8-Mile] 

1233M [Great Great Grandson & Great Great Great Grandson] [Son of 1015M & "Brindle"] [Member of 8-Mile] 

"Two-Dot" [Great Great Grand-Pup or Great Great Great Grand-Pup] [Pup of either beta 926F or alpha Little-T] [Member of Lamar Canyon]

*27F was the real first alpha female but it was mostly when they were in a pen than not...*

Alpha Female of Nez Perce (48F)

"In the park interior, the founding member and longtime alpha female of the Nez Perce pack was killed by the Gibbon Meadows pack. At age nine, she was the oldest known wolf in the population. The pack dissolved shortly after her death."

Source : Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Report 2005

Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

(The link to the Wolf Annual Reports is in the first post of the thread)

*Edit of this post will come in shorter or later moments !*

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf 51F

a.    Pup in Rose Creek as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Yearling in Rose Creek as of Dec 31 1997

Recap
ID : #51F
Birth Pack : Rose Creek
Lifespan : April 1996-? 1998 or -
Situation : Probably died in 1998.
Ancestry : Daughter of 9F & 8M
Grand-Daughter of 4M/5F

Source of these informations : 

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:52 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Wolf #52M [Founding Alpha Male of The Sunlight Basin Pack]

a.    Male pup in Rose Creek as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Yearling Rose Creek Wolf as of Dec 31 1997
c.     Dispersed in late 1997.
d.    Paired in March 1998 with 41F to form Sunlight Basin Pack.

Recap
ID : #52M
Nickname : "Hunchback" 
Weight : 120 lbs [March 2001]
Known Lifespan : April 1996-2003/2004
Status in Rose Creek : Member (April 1996-1997)
Status in Sunlight Basin : Alpha Male (1998-2003)
Ancestry : Son of 9F & 8M
Grandson of 4M/5F
Mate : 41F

Descendance : 

• 231M
  • 263M
  • 370F
  • 371F
  • 372F

Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf 53F

a.    Black Pup in Rose Creek as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Yearling Rose Creek Wolf as of Dec 31 1997
c.   Daughter of 9F & 8M
d.  Grand-Daugther of 4M/5F

Wolf #54 and 56M

a.    Gray and black Pups in Leopold as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Born to 2M and 7F
c.  Grand-pup and grandson of 4M/5F & 9F/?

(1995 and 1996, 1997)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:53 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf #55M

a.    Male pup of Leopold as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Son of 2M and 7F probably
c.     Member of Leopold Pack as of Dec 31 1999.
d.    Captured weighing in at 135 pounds.

Recap
ID : #55M
Birth Pack : Leopold
Known Lifespan : April 1996-2000
Weight : 135 lbs (61.2 kg) [January 27 2000]
Ancestry : 
  • Son of 7F & 2M 
  • Grandson of 9F/? & 4M/5F
Status in the Leopold Pack : Member/Subordinate (April 1996-2000)

"Alpha female #7 and male #55 of the Leopold pack recover from capture and handling. Weighing in at 135 pounds, #55 was one of the larger wolves captured."

Photo by Douglas Smith, 1999

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

The Sawtooth Pups (63F, 64F, 65F, 66M, 67F, 68F, 69M, 70M*, 71F and 72M*)

63F

a.    Sawtooth Gray Female pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Killed in management action in 1997 after killing livestock north of YNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

Photo Credits : William Campbell

"Wolf #63 was a pup brought to Yellowstone from Augusta, Montana. She was one of 10 pups from the Sawtooth Pack brought to Yellowstone because their parents killed livestock. These young wolves were in turn responsible for two-thirds of the livestock depredation in the Yellowstone ecosystem. She was legally killed in October 1997 for killing sheep on two occasions."

64F
b.    Legally shot for livestock predation north of YNP in 1997

65F

66M

a.    Sawtooth Black Male pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Killed when he was hit by a vehicle in central YNP in 1997. The car drove away without staying on the incident location.

67F

a.    Sawtooth Black Female pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.  Bred with 70M or 72M in 1998 and gave birth to 5 pups.
c.    Killed in a control action operation in 1998.

68F

b.    Killed in 1997 from management action after killing livestock south of YNP

69M

a.    Sawtooth Gray Male pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Legally shot in 1997 in Idaho after he preyed on livestock

71F

a.    Sawtooth Black Female pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Killed with coyote trap NW of YNP in 1997

Recap for Sawtooth pups #63F, 64F, 65F, 66M, 67F, 68F, 69M and 71F :

Birth Pack : Sawtooth in April 1996
Lifespan : Less than 1 year (65F), 2 year (63F, 64F, 66M, 68F, 71F) and 3 years (67F)

Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports

I don't know which wolf they are, but they are either one of the 9 : 63F-72M

Photo Credits of these 3 amazing pictures : Sawtooth wolf pup at Nez Perce pen; Jim Peaco; February 1996 

Photo Credits : Releasing Sawtooth wolf pup in Nez Perce Pen ; Jim Peaco; February 1996

Photo Credits : Sawtooth pup in Nez Perce pen; Jim Peaco; February 1997 

Photo Credits : Sawtooth wolf pup; Jim Peaco; January 1997 

Copyright policy of YPC :

*These images are in the public domain and may be reproduced, free of charge with the proper credit line.*

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Famous Wolf #70M (One of "The Bad Boys of Chôteau") [Longtime Alpha or Beta Male of The Nez Perce Pack]

a.    Sawtooth male pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Member of Nez Perce as of Dec 31 1999.
c.     Died as Alpha Male of Nez Perce in 2005.
d.    He was killed by other wolves in 2005.

Recap : 
ID : #70M
Lifespan : April 1996-2005 (9 years old)
Status in Nez Perce : 
  • Beta or Alpha (It isn't known between him and his brother 72M)
  • When is brother left in 2004, he became the indisputed alpha of Nez Perce.
Descendance :
  • 484M
Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:53 PM by TheNormalGuy Edit Reason: Update ! )

Famous Wolf #72M aka "One of The Bad Boys of Chôteau" [Longtime Alpha or Beta Male of The Nez Perce Pack*]

a.    Sawtooth male pup in Rose Creek Pen as of Dec 31 1996
b.    Member of Nez Perce as of Dec 31 1999.
c.     Dispersed from Nez Perce in 2003 and headed south into Wyoming
d.    Green River Member in 2004 and killed in a control action operation in 2004

Recap :

ID : #72M
Lifespan : 1996-2004 (8 years old)
Packs : 
  • Sawtooth (April 1996-? 1996)
  • Nez Perce (? 1996-2003)
  • Green River (2003-2004)
Mate : 48F
Descendance : Same as 48F except the litter of 48F and 29M (#178, #179, #180) and 484M (Son of 48F and 70M)
  • 191M
  • 215M*
  • 249M
  • 305M
  • 467M
  • 484M
  • Famous Wolf 534M [2nd Longtime & Last Alpha Male of The Leopold Pack History]*
  • 685M*
  • 212F
  • 213F
  • 214F
  • 306F
  • 340F*
  • 341F
  • 342F
  • 476F
  • Famous Mother Wolf 485F [Mother of The Iconic Brothers 754M & 755M]*
  • Famous Wolf 486F*
  • "White Lady's Mother" aka "Hayden Valley White Alpha Female" aka 540F*
Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports and "Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)"

(1995 and 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Wolf #78F

a.    Female pup of Rose Creek as of Dec 31 1997
b.    Bred in 1999 as her mother 18F and grand-mother 9F for Rose creek.
c.     She had 5 pups of which 3 were known to have survived to 1999 end.
d.    Died in 1999.
e.    Grand-Daughter of 9F and 10M
Recap :

ID : #78F
Lifespan : April 1997-1999 (2 year old)
Status in Rose Creek Pack : 
  • Breeding Female (1999)
Ancestry :
  • Daughter of 18F & 8M
  • Grand-Daughter of 9F/10M & 5F/4M
Mate : 8M

Descendance :
  • 5 pups (of which 3 survived to year end) in 1999 including 208M*

Source of these informations : Yellowstone Wolf Projects Annual Reports

(1997, 1998, 1999)