There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who's been to India

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

(02-04-2017, 03:52 AM)Brehm Wrote: The question is, are there any reasons not to visit Dudhwa? I knew it had a bad reputation a few years ago, but whats the situation today?

The condition of Dudhwa is very bad. Same for Pilibhit Tiger reserves. Actually U.P. Administration has nothing done good. A lot of tree cutting has been reported in recent year.
Still you can plan safari there, but you will not get the goodness and facilities of other park. I live in Lucknow which is very close to Dudhwa and closely follow some people on FB who knows all ins and out of Dudhwa and according to them The forest administration of UP is neglecting it completely
4 users Like sanjay's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Brehm,
instead of Dudhwa why you don't visit Nepalese Bardya national park, its close to Dudhwa, not too far from Corbett and probably in better condition than Dudhwa. Bardya is assessed by many as one of the best places in the world to see tigers. A couple of years ago it was visited even by Leonardo DiCaprio himself. You need probably only to get Nepalese visa from New Delhi. Than you can drive in direction Pundjab - Corbett - Bardya.
4 users Like Wolverine's post

Austria Brehm Offline

If Dudhwa is in such a bad spot, visiting it could be dissapointing...

Apart from Dudhwa's condition, did the people on fb mentioned anything about wildlife sightings too? @sanjay 

Bardya sounds promising, will definetly think about it.
1 user Likes Brehm's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(02-04-2017, 11:46 AM)sanjay Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 03:52 AM)Brehm Wrote: The question is, are there any reasons not to visit Dudhwa? I knew it had a bad reputation a few years ago, but whats the situation today?

The condition of Dudhwa is very bad. Same for Pilibhit Tiger reserves. Actually U.P. Administration has nothing done good. A lot of tree cutting has been reported in recent year.
Still you can plan safari there, but you will not get the goodness and facilities of other park. I live in Lucknow which is very close to Dudhwa and closely follow some people on FB who knows all ins and out of Dudhwa and according to them The forest administration of UP is neglecting it completely
 Well, from exit-polls on TV it seems like BJP is gonna win this election on 11th...Let's pray they will hope take necessary measures, they've significantly promoted conservation in all other states. Heart

You could try pointing out the problems by writing a letter to the new CM. Most indians don't know how approachable & interactive the govt. is now-a-days...
My father once wrote a letter to Sashi Tharur (The-then Education Min.) about some complications, reply came in 48hrs & steps were taken!!!
2 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

It's creeping up.. Little more than a month away, I can't believe how fast it came up.
Believe it or not, my guide who's in Tadoba right now said its been raining and it looks like it going to rain today. But sightings are still good, he's seen Mat. male who has now become aggressive and is charging jeeps. The male made a gaur kill last week and wasn't seen as much but he's seen a lot this week. Maya was spotted yesterday and some dhole as well. I'm most looking forward to my pench visit I think, the tigers there have quickly become my favorites and I can't wait.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

The time has finally come....
I'll be leaving for india this Saturday, I can't wait.
I'll make sure to take as many pictures I can and update while I'm there depending on the Wifi situation.
2 users Like Pckts's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

My wildlife destination was some other reserve before but now it is nilgiri biosphere. Easily guessable for why i changed the location. Happy
3 users Like parvez's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-11-2017, 01:37 PM by Rishi )

1 user Likes Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(11-10-2017, 04:59 PM)Wolverine Wrote: Rishi, have you seen a wild rhino? I have seen one ... in the New Delhi zoo ... Next time if I visit India I go for rhino, not tiger, not lion but for wild rhino, the "tank of the jungles"... That mean safari tour in Eastern India - Kasiranga, Manas and probably a brief visit (just for curiosity) to the new gigantic Iskcon temple in Mayapur. What of the national parks and wildlife reserves is closer to your home?

My father/cousin has... Jaldapara would actually be cheaper than Kaziranga. Rhino sighting is almost guaranteed.
Don't try Manas now, it's still in recovery phase from decades long militancy.

My suggestion... Land in Delhi & fly to Jalpiguri. Visit the rainforests of Dooars (not Darjeeling though, political unrest), & move on south, Santiniketan, Mayapur...You'll love them & the dry forests.

Finally, arrive Kolkata & travel (local travel agencies do short week long trips) to the swamps & back from Kolkata-Airport.
3 users Like Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM by Wolverine )

KAZIRANGA Vs ROYAL CHITWAN

The problem of Kaziranga is that it's located too far from the major touristic routes. Majority of foreign tourists want to combine wildlife viewing with visits of architectural cultural heritage, beaches or mountain hiking. In Assam I cant  find anything interesting. Few tourists will travel many ours in crowded buses only to see Kaziranga unless they are really big rhino-lovers. That's very sad because Kaziranga is the jewel of all Indian nature, the "Serengeti of Asia". Probably local authorities in order to boost tourism have to build an airport next to the national park and to subsidize air flights from New Delhi and Mumbai.

Royal Chitwan national park is in much better position. Its advantage to Kaziranga is that is located close to Mount Everest, the highest peak in the planet. In the Western world there are tens of millions passionate alpinists, mountain climbers and their dream is one day to climb Everest, respectively to visit Nepal. Once they have visited Nepal they say: "Oh, why not to see tiger or rhino in the jungles" and they combine alpinism with safari tour in Chitwan or Bardia. Nepal has the potential one day to become a world touristic mega-power same as Greece or Thailand. Nepalese capital Katmandu is also a heritage budist city with a lot of historical buildings. So if I decide to go for Greater One Horned Rhino probably will prefer Nepal to Assam.
Sorry bro, I quess you are Bengali but I don't think that anybody from abroad will fly thousands kilometers to see Jaldapara, its completely diferent level tnan Kaziranga and Royal Chitwan.
Somethimes I wonder is it possible to see from the territories of Kaziranga or Chitwan the snow ranges of Himalaya mointains in the horizon or they are too far from the parks. Probably it would be wonderful when you are tourist and reside in some safari lodge or hotel deep in jungles  when you awake and drink your morning tea to observe in the far horizon the eternal snows and glaciers of the mighty Himalayas.
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 01:05 AM by Charan Singh Edit Reason: Clarification )

@Pckts 
I was expecting you to share experience and photos after reading this thread of your India tour.
Please do share....

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-17-2019, 01:04 AM)Charan Singh Wrote: @Pckts 
I was expecting you to share experience and photos after reading this thread of your India tour.
Please do share....

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-your-wi...e-in-india

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Are you allowed to do a self drive to gir national park . I have been thinking for some time now to visit it .

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM by Rishi )

(03-12-2019, 11:14 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Are you allowed to do a self drive to gir national park . I have been thinking for some time now to visit it .

Like any other Indian NP, safari in Gir there is only one option of jeep safari. You'll be assigned a car, a guide & one of the two entry points. 
But there is a loophole apparently... There are 2 temples inside the NP (Kankai Mata & Banej) where civilians can visit in their own vehicles (2 & 4 wheelers are allowed) though the sanctuary area where otherwise there's no safari, from multiple entry & exit points. If you do both temples in one go, it'll be almost a safari. Read this experience.

I suggest trying this after with 2 regular safari in the NP Zone. Just ask your (local) driver, he'll do the rest.

And visit Girnar as well...

Do not go during peak-season (December to March). Your chance of sighting are better if you get to choose your route & crowd is low.
The park is closed from 16th June to 15th October every year. Either May/June (dry & frigging hot) or October/November (humid & frigging hot)... pick your poison.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 08:03 AM by Wolverine )

(03-12-2019, 11:14 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Are you allowed to do a self drive to gir national park . I have been thinking for some time now to visit it .

Based on my own experience 25 years ago they will on first place offer you to visit so called "Devalia interpretation zone" - a stupid place, kind of safari park where they will explain you "you can see lions and many other animals and plants typical for Gir forest that's way there is no need to visit the Gir forest itself"..... Since I was persistent to see the Gir forest itself the admin told us to wait in town of Sasan (on the entrance of the park) for some trucks for tourist to come. We waited 1-2 days, the trucks were not coming, wait 3-4 days - no any trucks again. I was stucked in Sasan and got bored, so in the 5th day (again no trucks) I decided to take the action in my own hands walking in the forest myself (basically illegally). Every morning I followed the old railway crossing the forest for about an hour and than followed a small river bad also about an hour. Finally I saw 2 male lions from about 10 meters distance (got totally scared), a leopard from 30-40 meters (Gir is probably the best place outside Sri Lanka to watch spotted cats) and countless number of peacocks, every evening the forest is vibrating by their voices.

For sure Gir forest is a majestic place one must see, unique place. My experience is obsolete (before 2 decades) so hopefully the transportation is much better today, but I think still the local forest authorities are not very enthusiastic about massive tourist visits and prefer to send the visitors to Devalia zone. See what is written in wiki:
"Gir National Park and Sanctuary does not have a designated area for tourists. However, to reduce the tourism hazard to the wildlife and to promote nature education, an Interpretation Zone has been created at Devalia within the sanctuary. Within its chained fences, it covers all habitat types and wildlife of Gir with its feeding-cum-living cages for the carnivores and a double-gate entry system. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gir_National_Park

So, @Lycaon in case of problems with transportation never forget about the old railway crossing the forest I mentioned above.
3 users Like Wolverine's post