There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which are stronger pound for pound Herbivores or Carnivores?

Panther Offline

(12-28-2018, 01:15 AM)brotherbear Wrote: We just don't happen to find very many 400 pound elephants ( neither in Asia or Africa ).

I know right! Just use calculations to find how much strength it has relative to its size.

It will be easy to find out which one is stronger "pound for pound"!

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2018, 01:17 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow:

About #159 and #160: Thank you for the links you gave ! Very interesting (I only regret to be not as good in english comprehension...).

Yes, agree with you when you speak about a tiger killing an adult elephant. I believe we often confuse strength with ability to kill. I said at a previous thread that a plow horse, muscularly speaking, is probably stronger than any lion and tiger (no one big cat could accomplish the same physical feats during whole a day), but if this horse was cornered against a wild big cat it would be killed for sure.

Physically speaking the strength is the amount of energy expended during an intensiv effort. This intensiv effort is very short as concerns the big cats, more longer for the bears,  canids, the antelopes, the bovids. Probably an antelope escaping from its natural predator expends as much energy as its pursuer. But the farmer is a predator, thus more powerful and  the latter the prey thus...

The second link you gave will never make me compare very very small animals (insects) with big animals (mammals) !

Yes this kind of topics are quite interesting, even though not easy to find unquestionable answers. Of course scientists have limited resources and they have to prioritize what they try to figure out. Animal strength obviously isn´t at the first place there.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here links to one research about chimpanzee strength compared to humans. This could also give a hint what comes to gorillas. First two links are articles and other two are research document. I put two articles because one say 1,5 times stronger than humans and other 1,35 times.... Everyone can check actual report from researchers and decide which article is more accurate :) 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/213...they-were/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/...cle-humans

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/28/7343

https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._evolution

This is of course information about one animal only. But maybe someone else finds something about some other animal and then some comparison might be possible.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 03:46 PM by Rishi )

@brotherbear The thing i asked you about muscle fibers in adult male brown bears...Do you know it?

@GrizzlyClaws and @Polar ! You two are also bear enthusiasts right?
If any of you know, please tell me what is the percentage of type I (slow twitch) muscle fibers in adult male brown bears.
2 users Like Panther's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Panther
No one is bound to answer. This is open community and its member choice to answer or indulge in a discussion with other member. Be careful while discussing with others
2 users Like sanjay's post

Panther Offline

(12-28-2018, 02:52 PM)sanjay Wrote: @Panther
No one is bound to answer. This is open community and its member choice to answer or indulge in a discussion with other member. Be careful while discussing with others

But I asked that particular person! He should have to tell anything. Either telling answer or not.

How could it be a good manners to not responding something that is particularly asked him. He's viewing threads, making replies, etc... But not responding.

I didn't asked him something to degrade bears or something. I'm not questioning his knowledge. I'm just asking to know what it would be.

Panther Offline

I got the answer @sanjay ! Right from one of brotherbear's replies.

I just wonder why he's not even responded, when he has the answer.

Anyways! I don't know what happening behind me but I want to say I don't want to mess with anybody...

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-28-2018, 08:31 AM)Panther Wrote: @brotherbear The thing i asked you about muscle fibers in adult male brown bears...Do you know it?

@GrizzlyClaws and @Polar ! You two are also bear enthusiasts right?
If any of you know, please tell me what is the percentage of type I (slow twitch) muscle fibers in adult male brown bears.

Well, I said that the Brown bears can pack roughly 1/3 of fat adherent to their body mass at max.

The skinny bear in the post-hibernation would weigh approximately 2/3 of its fat self during the pre-hibernation.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Panther Offline

(12-28-2018, 11:37 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Well, I said that the Brown bears can pack roughly 1/3 of fat adherent to their body mass at max.

The skinny bear in the post-hibernation would weigh approximately 2/3 of its fat self during the pre-hibernation.

Yeah, but that's not what I asked Grizzlyclaws. 
Anyways, I got the answer for my question from here.
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-bone-an...8#pid60818

Thank you!
2 users Like Panther's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-29-2018, 12:15 AM)Panther Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:37 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Well, I said that the Brown bears can pack roughly 1/3 of fat adherent to their body mass at max.

Yeah, but that's not what I asked Grizzlyclaws. 
Anyways, I got the answer for my question from here.
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-bone-an...8#pid60818

Thank you!

Sorry, not an expert about the anatomy, that's all the possible means I can answer your question.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

I personally think that in most cases, carnivores are more powerful pound to pound than herbivores, however, the letter is generally heavier. The heaviest mammals on earth are generally herbivores (e.g. elephants, rhinos, hippos, gaurs) and among dinasaurs, the herbivorous giants are souropods.
1 user Likes GreenGrolar's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(04-12-2019, 07:11 PM)GreenGrolar Wrote: I personally think that in most cases, carnivores are more powerful pound to pound than herbivores, however, the letter is generally heavier. The heaviest mammals on earth are generally herbivores (e.g. elephants, rhinos, hippos, gaurs) and among dinasaurs, the herbivorous giants are souropods.

Any natural biotop or environment you take into account, as long as it isn't devastated by men, the biggest herbivores are always heaviest than the biggest predators, and this often by far. Their colossal size are one of the means of defence (or dissuasion) among all the others. Pound for pound the predators are the strongest...