There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tigers of Ranthambore & Western India Landscape

Oman scamander Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 02:05 PM by Rishi )

I'd like to see and know more about the Ranthambore tigers. I've always been rather fascinated by them.
3 users Like scamander's post

Oman scamander Offline

T64 - Akash. 
Saw him in Zone 5 last December.
4 users Like scamander's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

My signature of the great Machli, saves me the effort XD
3 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

http://www.ranthambhorebagh.com/Ranthamb...20Park.pdf

a good write
3 users Like Sully's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-19-2015, 12:54 AM)scamander Wrote: T64 - Akash. 

Which other tigers have you seen in Ranth?
Have you seen any others from other locations?

I know a few other members here have been to Ranth. quite often as well.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Oman scamander Offline

(12-19-2015, 01:05 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Which other tigers have you seen in Ranth?
Have you seen any others from other locations?

I know a few other members here have been to Ranth. quite often as well.

I've seen Noor and her two boys. Also Unnis and her three cubs.
3 users Like scamander's post

Oman scamander Offline

Oops, I'd tried to post a photo. Guess it didn't work.
2 users Like scamander's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

There is a tutorial somewhere around here on how to post.

I just right click the image, copy it, then paste it here.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Read the threads of this forum in order to learn how to do basic stuffs on wildfact forum - http://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tips-gui...d-tutorial

Since this thread is concerned about Ranthambore national park, hence it will be moved to National Park forum
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2015, 04:25 AM by Pckts )

(12-19-2015, 12:45 AM)scamander Wrote: I'd like to see and know more about the Ranthambore tigers. I've always been rather fascinated by them.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know.

I'll give you quick break of a few things I know that I find interesting.

Ranthambhore Males are quite impressive,

Ustad as you know, was captured for being a man eater and imprisoned for the remainder of his life.

T42 was/is quite aggressive, he famously chased the jeep for some time

T28 is said to be the largest male there, some have also said T42 so who knows for sure

Ustaad Weighed 240kg when capture at 3.5yrs for a stomach issue and collaring

Another male translocated to Siranski (sp) weighed 220kg and the female (malachis daughter) weighed 170kg

T72 (sultan) hasn't been seen in some time, he was my favorite up and comer and was quite a large fellow from the looks I saw of him.

Zone 1
Singh Dwar being the entry point is the most important place of the respective zone. The other places where you can catch a glimpse of the Royal Bengal Tigers include Dhoop Chowk, Kala Peela Pani, Tuti Ka Naal, Sultanpur Chowki, Khabli and Khariya. Though the big cats can never be confined in boundaries, most often it is T-72 (Sultan), T-39 (Noor) and T-24 (Ustad)that are seen frisking at Singh Dwar, Kala Peela Pani,Kharia and Khabli. - See more at: http://www.ranthamborenationalpark.com/r...2iZ1O.dpuf

*This image is copyright of its original author

Zone 2
The main points ofthis zone are Bada Gate,Jogi Mahal, Jhalra, Phuta Kot,Nal Ghati(Kamaldhar),Amrahi,Parniya,Guda Chowki,Telan Pacheri, Phuta Bandha, Pandu Deh, Lahpur Tiraha, Gaandra Deh, and Rishi Ka Deh. Out of these the Phuta Bandha,Jogi Mahal, Lahpur Tiraha, Nal Ghati,Phuta Kot and Guda are the points where tigers are most frequently sighted. Further, the big cats that prowl here are T-19 (Krishna), T-20 (Jhumru), T-22 (Gayatri), T-24 (Ustad), T-39 (Noon) and T-72 (Sultan).

Zone 3
Doodh Baawri,Tapman Nalah,Rajbagh Lake,High Point,Padam Talab, Mandook and Karonj Ka Nalah are the most prominentpoints of Zone III. The striped cats that await to entice the wildlife enthusiasts at these points include T-19 (Krishna) along with her three cubs and T-28 (Star Male).

Zone 4
There are 15 major places in the respective zone, namely Aadi Dant,Baba Ki Gufa,Singh Dwar, Mendki De,Gular Kui, Lambi Ka Nalah, Malik Talab, Lakkad Da, Magar De, Tamba Khan,Aadi Dagar, Berda, Bhanwarde, Semli and Bhoot Khurra.It is the presence of T-6 (Romeo),T-16 (Machli),T-19 (Krishna) with three cubs,T-25 (Bhola/Dollar Male), T-28 (Star Male) andT-47 (Mr. Bond) that make these points special.

Zone 5
The most prominent places in Zone V are Takiya Kui,Bakola, Jokha,Singh Dwar,Kachida,Bagdah Tiraha,Tamba Khan,Dhakda,Pili Ghati,Anatpura and Gular Kui. Most often four tigers are sighted here, namely T-6 (Romeo),T-3(Bhadur), two cubs of T-17 (Sunehari) and T-25 (Bhola/Dollar Male).

Zone 6

This zone has 5 major points -Patwa Ki Baori,Kala Pani,Khabli, Saran Ka Pattha andSoleshwar. At these points the wildlife enthusiasts are welcomed bythe roar of T-24 (Ustad), T-34 (Kumbha), T-39 (Noor) and T-72 (Sultan).

Zone 7

The respective zone is bestowed withthe best four places to sight the big cats. These four places are Rajbagh Naka,Kushalipura,Chidikho and Jamoda. Like the tigers are free to mark their territories, they are also free to prance anywhere in the park, yet at these points most commonly the following big cats are seen: T-8 (Ladli) with one cub andT-34 (Kumbha).

Zone 8

Kali Bhat,Kherai,Balas, Neemli Dang and Mahakh are the major points of Zone VIII. This zone lets the visitors sight the same tigers that are spotted in Zone VII, i.e., T-8 (Ladli) with one cub and T-34 (Kumbha).
- See more at:

These were from some time back, not sure who's still in which zone any more.

Also, take a look through the tiger directory thread and Indian Bengal Tiger threads as well. You will see many individuals mentioned and many new faces, the stories of what happened with Ustads cubs and female, the new male that took over the area, etc.

I love Ranthambhore Tigers, they are big, beautiful and very athletic looking.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Oman scamander Offline

Are Ranthambore males hard to spot? I see people uploading photos of Unnis and her cubs regularly, but it's very rare that I hear of a sighting of a big male.

Also, how would Ranthambhore males compare in size to Bandhavgarh and Tadoba males?
2 users Like scamander's post

Ecology & Rewilding

From what I've seen they are smaller than Taboda and Bandhavgarh males.
2 users Like Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 01:51 AM by Pckts )

In terms of spotting them, I can't speak on that since I've never been. What I hear is that ranthambhore is as close as you're going to get to a "guaranteed tiger sighting."

In regards to size, here is what we know for sure...
Two males have been weighed from Ranth. 220kg and 240+kg. Ustad is large but he isn't the largest male there, so that means you have right now 3 other males who are at least 240kg (t42, t28 & t72)

Tadoba- has one male who was weighed, 185kg and he is gabbar, not the largest tiger there and definitely smaller than Saturn and katezari as confirmed by their fights. Wagdoh is repeatedly said to be larger than any tiger there and bamera. So you know wag. Is a huge boy, how huge remains to be seen.

Band. Males are big but we already know from eye witness accounts that bamera was not close to wag. In size. The new ruler, Bheema is easily larger than any male he's compared to. His fight against jobhi, who is another huge male showed us just how massive Bheema really is.

With all that being said, I still think Ranth. Has the largest males on average between the 3 places mentioned. 

But the largest I believe are kaziranga males, terrai arc area and himalaya males.
Corbett gets an honorable mention since very reputable people have said they are as large as any tiger out there but to me, they don't look as large as some other places but looks can be deceiving as we all know.
Edit: Corbett is in the Terai Arc area thanks to @Shardul for the correction.

So I guess in this case, bergmans rule may apply to Bengal tigers.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Shardul Offline

@Pckts,

Corbett comes under the Terai Arc landscape.
4 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Andy Rouse Photography

Well the 1DX2 hits hard on first chance it gets with male tiger T57 in Ranthambhore National Park on my first morning drive. ISO 1600, no noise when processed through DPP (I tried LightRoom and the profile was well off), punchy and just a lovely image of a lovely cat. Best bit was that everyone in my group was there to share it, we even did a special processing class on it afterwards. Awesome start and this afternoon got even better so more in a day or so! CANON India Canon UK Canon Polska Canon Singapore WWF Big Cats WWF 21st Century Tiger Panthera National Geographic The Ranthambhore Bagh Aditya Singh Ranthambhore National Park Tigers Save the Tiger Park Cameras Ltd

Raees Bhai
Royal king of ranthambhore fathe T42 male tiger area zone 9, 10

T24

T34

T6