There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tumbela Coalition

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

We can de debate the current state of the Othawas all we want, but the original point still stand. Its not going to last. Cubs grow up.
One day a big enough coalition may show up there and settle down. Be it for the Othawas, Ximhungwes or some other reason.

The idea that another coalition taking over the western part of western sector is impossible aslong the PCmales are around is just putting way to much faith in their ability to defend the west. They are not superlions, but already struggling to keep Nym and Skorro out. Replace those two with real competition and they will abandon the west.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 07:19 AM by Mapokser )

@Duco Ndona We don't how if their first meeting was this year, we only see a small portion of their lives. In fact there's photos taken by a guest many months before when there were still 3 of them left, of one Othawa and of Tumbela and when asked the guest said they were very close to each other and thought they had shared a meal before going to sleep in thir separate ways.

It's likely that they have met many times before and he started to stay closer more recently after being attacked by PCM, forcing him to give up on Ximhungwes for a while.

2yo subs are of no interest to any males in terms of having a pride, Tumbela or otherwise, he hangs with them due to pure wish for company, not because he thinks they are an actual pride he dominates.

And I'd hardly say the Othawas will be "old enough soon", they are only two, being very optimistically they'd be old enough in 1,5 years from now, but likely 2 years.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Western sector is pretty well covered. Its not likely they would miss lions joining up together.

Those are also the ages of first estrus. Male lions dont really do ages. Its all guesswork so the age they will be mistakingly seen as potential mating material is ussually lower.

Ultimately, they are a positive if it comes to factors that may entice males to stay.

criollo2mil Online
Contributor

Skorro seen on Leopard Hills w the othowas 

12 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 07:18 AM by Mapokser )

Amazing to see them together again and to see Skorro with a full belly. I think since Sassy's death, now is the time things are looking the most hopeful possible for the subs, all things considered. Instead of 2 territorial coalition to avoid, now it's just one, one that has a vast territory to patrol; instead of having to scavenge and usurp leopard kills, they're now able to hunt on their own and are always in good condition; instead of being completely alone they're consistently hanging out with their father which grants great protection and they had not even had any problems with him stealing their food.

Sure the situation is still very difficult and they have a long way to go but they're getting at an age that some other subadults were able to reach adulthood on their own. It's just a shame they couldn't reach this point with at least 3 of their numbers, now to have a decent chance to rebuild the pride they can't afford to lose their remaining sister.
7 users Like Mapokser's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-21-2023, 07:18 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Amazing to see them together again and to see Skorro with a full belly. I think since Sassy's death, now is the time things are looking the most hopeful possible for the subs, all things considered. Instead of 2 territorial coalition to avoid, now it's just one, one that has a vast territory to patrol; instead of having to scavenge and usurp leopard kills, they're now able to hunt on their own and are always in good condition; instead of being completely alone they're consistently hanging out with their father which grants great protection and they had not even had any problems with him stealing their food.

Sure the situation is still very difficult and they have a long way to go but they're getting at an age that some other subadults were able to reach adulthood on their own. It's just a shame they couldn't reach this point with at least 3 of their numbers, now to have a decent chance to rebuild the pride they can't afford to lose their remaining sister.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but by their remaining sister, are you referring to Gingerella? I, like I believe the vast majority of lion fans are as well, am really rooting for these two girls. If they can make it, with such overwhelming odds stacked against them (they did end up on their own at around 18 months old and continue to thrive, something I've not heard of before), this could be one of the greatest survival stories in recent memory. Right along side the wonky eyed young male, who has been on his own from a similar age, all truly amazing stuff!
6 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-21-2023, 08:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 07:18 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Amazing to see them together again and to see Skorro with a full belly. I think since Sassy's death, now is the time things are looking the most hopeful possible for the subs, all things considered. Instead of 2 territorial coalition to avoid, now it's just one, one that has a vast territory to patrol; instead of having to scavenge and usurp leopard kills, they're now able to hunt on their own and are always in good condition; instead of being completely alone they're consistently hanging out with their father which grants great protection and they had not even had any problems with him stealing their food.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but by their remaining sister, are you referring to Gingerella? I, like I believe the vast majority of lion fans are as well, am really rooting for these two girls. If they can make it, with such overwhelming odds stacked against them (they did end up on their own at around 18 months old and continue to thrive, something I've not heard of before), this could be one of the greatest survival stories in recent memory. Right along side the wonky eyed young male, who has been on his own from a similar age, all truly amazing stuff!

Who is "wonky eyed young male"??
2 users Like afortich's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-21-2023, 08:23 AM)afortich Wrote:

As far as I know, nobody really knows who he is. He just started showing up randomly, at a very young age, and a little while back (month or two) he was spotted again, older and still on his own. He gets spotted occasionally eating with different prides, and other males, the first I recall seeing him was when Dark Mane allowed him to share a meal with him, and at that time he looked to be around 18-24 months old.

This is him sharing a meal with the Nkuhuma Pride, back in October, go to post #126 by @Tonpa 

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-nkuhuma...pid=179412
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

One theory is that he was part of a nomadic subadult group from deeper in Kruger and got separated/lost somehow and has been on his own.
 I keep hoping we will see him with a partner soon!
Does someone have a picture of him they could post? 
Thank you!
3 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Contributor

Thank you @BA0701 and @GhostCatP-22 for the info.
By the way, I remember of a lone young lion following a pride about a year ago, maybe it was him.
3 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@BA0701 nope, by remaining sister I'm talking about 1/2 subs. They can't afford to lose each other at this point. Gingerella is their enemy and lives in another pride, though of course I also hope she can raise many cubs herself, regardless of what she was renamed she'll always be an Othawa Breakaway for me and if the subs don't make it I'll look at the Othawa legacy through her.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-21-2023, 11:29 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @BA0701 nope, by remaining sister I'm talking about 1/2 subs. They can't afford to lose each other at this point. Gingerella is their enemy and lives in another pride, though of course I also hope she can raise many cubs herself, regardless of what she was renamed she'll always be an Othawa Breakaway for me and if the subs don't make it I'll look at the Othawa legacy through her.

Ah, yes, makes perfect sense. I hope for the same, those young girls are certainly resilient, that much cannot be denied.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

criollo2mil Online
Contributor

(03-21-2023, 10:56 PM)afortich Wrote: Thank you @BA0701 and @GhostCatP-22 for the info.
By the way, I remember of a lone young lion following a pride about a year ago, maybe it was him.

Last year the Manyeleti YM (aka wonky eye) did trail the Talamati Pride a few times.   He also was frequently seen with Silver Eye Talamati.   Many actually confused him w the missing 3rd Talamati boy on occasions
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

(03-22-2023, 12:00 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 10:56 PM)afortich Wrote: Thank you @BA0701 and @GhostCatP-22 for the info.

Last year the Manyeleti YM (aka wonky eye) did trail the Talamati Pride a few times.   He also was frequently seen with Silver Eye Talamati.   Many actually confused him w the missing 3rd Talamati boy on occasions

Thank you buddy @criollo2mil for confirming. Since I didn't exactly recall which pride, I didn't write any, but I was between Nkuhuma pride and Talamati pride. You know I don't keep notes Wink
3 users Like afortich's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(03-21-2023, 08:23 AM)afortich Wrote:

Not seen this male for a while. Hope he is doing well somewhere.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post