WildFact
The Tumbela Coalition - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Tumbela Coalition (/topic-the-tumbela-coalition)

The Tumbela Coalition - Tonpa - 02-28-2021

Figured I'd start a thread for these boys now that they've acquired some territory!

Born in 2016 to the Nharu pride, these three youngsters made their way into Sabi Sands where they settled in the Western Sector. After some back and forth with Hairy Belly Matimba, these young males took control of the Othawa Pride at the end of 2020.

The Limping male

*This image is copyright of its original author

The eye scar male

Skorro Junior
[attachment=5728]
Photos by Michelle Storm! @michelle.storm_wildlife/ Dulini Lodge

With these boys mating with the Othawa Lionesses we can hope some Othawa cubs are on the horizon!

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tonpa - 02-28-2021

Blog post by Leopard Hills Field Guide Cal Butler 

"THE TUMBELA MALE LION GROWS STRONGER"

https://wildadventuresblog.com/2021/02/27/the-tumbela-male-lion-grows-stronger/

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tonpa - 02-28-2021

I believe this is the one known as "Skorro Jr"

Dec 2020. Photos by omegagodi

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tonpa - 03-01-2021

Photo by Tomo.Wild 

[attachment=5301]

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tonpa - 03-02-2021

Video by evie_bh 01-03-2021

Photo by Bushbaby_sam 
[attachment=5307]

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - RookiePundit - 03-03-2021

It should be noted they are nephews of Birmingham males or rather Birmingham males are their maternal uncles. As their fathers (Thand Impi coalition) were unrelated males, it is bit trickier on paternal side, but those sired by Skorro have Red Road Male, ruling their natal Nharu pride in Manyeleti right now, as their closest (geographically) male realtive on paternal side as he is their half brother from another pride. Besides that all have the Nharu Male of the Tintswalo coalition further into Manyeleti (now with Mbiri pride) as their littermate/brother from Nharu pride. Another brtoher went missing in Kruger. Those sired by Sizanani are perhaps distantly realted to Nkuhumas, as Nkuhuma pride were their paternal grandmothers. Luckily they is no blood realation to either Majingilanes or Mapogos, whose genes are presented in both western sector and Othawa adult lionesses themselves, so they are quite good news for genetic diversity of the area.

Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Timbavati - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 12:53 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?

Yeah, I think the Tumbela males are easy to ID them for some reasons.

RE: The Tumbela Coalition - Tr1x24 - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 12:53 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Is there any consesnsus what to call them or how to identify one from the others? I believe there is a one with an eye scar, another one is limping and one of them is somewhat skittish? We will never know, but I take it as both Skorro's and Sizanani's genes are thought to be passed on judging by their looks?

I ID them as Skorro Jr (similarity with Skorro) , Scar (eye scar) and Limper (limping male).

(03-03-2021, 12:51 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Another brtoher went missing in Kruger

Their 2 brothers disappeared in Kruger.. They where 5 males + 1 who is with Mbiris.

(03-03-2021, 01:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 12:51 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Another brtoher went missing in Kruger

Their 2 brothers disappeared in Kruger.. They where 5 males + 1 who is with Mbiris.

So their Tintswalo brother did not leave the Nharu pride with them and is another one (younger litter I assume)? Makes sense, I didn't know that.

(03-03-2021, 01:13 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: So their Tintswalo brother did not leave the Nharu pride with them and is another one (younger litter I assume)? Makes sense, I didn't know that.

No, he is not younger litter, he is same age..

He somehow joined Mbiris in 2018, when he was only around 2 - 2.5 yrs old.. He prob got lost/separeted from Nharus and he found Mbiris who accepted him..

The three Tumbela males
First photo: Skorro jr
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Scar Tumbela
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/Limping
Pics posted before by: @Tonpa 

(03-03-2021, 01:39 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The three Tumbela males
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Limping male
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/smaller (I think)

2nd male on photo is Scar Tumbela, not the limping one, 3rd photo is the Limper.

(03-03-2021, 01:56 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 01:39 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The three Tumbela males
Second photo: Sizanani JR/Limping male
Third photo: The maneless Tumbela/smaller (I think)

2nd male on photo is Scar Tumbela, not the limping one, 3rd photo is the Limper.

Corrected already