There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The strongest bites in the animal kingdom

India Vinay Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM by Vinay )

Ever wondered how the creatures of the earth rank up when it comes to how strong their jaws are? Now you’ll know which one you should run away from the fastest.

1.Piranha
PSI: unknown

Although its exact bite force hasn’t been measured, the piranha is able to exert a force of up to 30 times its own weight, which is unheard of in the animal kingdom.

2.Leopard
PSI: 300-310

*This image is copyright of its original author

3.Tiger shark
PSI: 325

4.African wild dog
PSI: 340

5.Cougar
PSI:350

6.Gray Wolf
PSI: 406

7.Mastiff
PSI:556

8.Great White Shark
PSI:669

9.African Lion
PSI: 691

10.Jaguar
PSI: 700

11.Brown bear
PSI: 850

12.Kodiak bear
PSI: 930

13.Siberian tiger
PSI: 950

14.Snapping turtle
PSI: 1,000

15.Bengal Tiger
PSI: 1,050

16.Hyena
PSI: 1,100

17.Polar bear
PSI:1,235

18.Grizzly bear
PSI: 1,250

19.Bull shark
PSI:1,250

20.Silverback gorilla
PSI: 1,300

21.Hippopotamus
PSI: 1,821

22.American alligator

23.Nile Crocodile
PSI: 5,000

24.Saltwater Crocodile
PSI: 7,700

Not only is it the largest living reptile, it’s also the largest terrestrial and riparian (wetland-dwelling) predator in existence. They can reach up to 22 feet and 4,400 lbs, so it’s not surprising that they have the strongest bite ever measured on a living animal.

25.Orca
PSI: 19,000+

The saltwater crocodile may have the strongest bite ever measured, but that might be because it’s been impossible to measure the killer whale’s bite force with accuracy. Based on captive orca incidents it’s estimated that their bite power could exceed 19,000 PSI.

http://thechive.com/2015/09/17/the-stron...25-photos/

Same in this site also....
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-to...w.2393047/

------------------------------

So called Jaguar bite force is nearly equal to African lions and Bengal tigers bite force is the highest among CAT'S.  Lol
3 users Like Vinay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

The lions bite force is the only one actually measured and it was taken from a sub adult, the rest are estimates.
7 users Like Pckts's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2016, 09:34 PM by brotherbear )

http://www.natgeotv.com/uk/casey-and-bru...nters/fact  
Grizzly bears have a bite-force of over 8,000,000 pascals, enough to crush a bowling ball. 

https://sites.google.com/a/bsdvt.org/jackson-s-amazing-world/brown-bears 

The grizzly bear has the strongest bite out of all bears the grizzly bear it has a whopping 1250 psi and the polar bear has 1235. 

*According to post #1, a gorilla has a stronger bite than a hyena. 
*Also... post #1 gives a Brown bear 85 PSI, Kodiak bear 930 PSI, and the grizzly and polar bear the same as the info I found. Interesting; Kodiak, brown, and grizzly are all the same species, with size differences. The Lion is given 691 PSI and the Tiger 950 PSI - doesn't seem quite right as the bite-force of the big cats is greater than that of a grizzly - am I right? 

5 users Like brotherbear's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned

(12-16-2016, 09:19 PM)brotherbear Wrote: The grizzly bear has the strongest bite out of all bears the grizzly bear it has a whopping 1250 psi and the polar bear has 1235. 

*According to post #1, a gorilla has a stronger bite than a hyena. 
*Also... post #1 gives a Brown bear 85 PSI, Kodiak bear 930 PSI, and the grizzly and polar bear the same as the info I found. Interesting; Kodiak, brown, and grizzly are all the same species, with size differences. The Lion is given 691 PSI and the Tiger 950 PSI - doesn't seem quite right as the bite-force of the big cats is greater than that of a grizzly - am I right? 

Common!! .....  '0' is missing.... you can guess it by rankings.

Anyway, any report or research is not 100% true, at max 90%. I know cougar,wolf and lions are weak animals(bite force) but the issue here is Jagaur vs leopard,it is shocking.

Even herbivore Gorilla psi is high.... so bears is not shocking.

@Pckts Give me some source of comparative psi
1 user Likes Vinay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Video of the sub adult lion biting the psi device is on YouTube.
The bite force study is here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.10...22518/full
4 users Like Pckts's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned

(12-16-2016, 11:42 PM)Pckts Wrote: Video of the sub adult lion biting the psi device is on YouTube.
The bite force study is here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.10...22518/full

Your Point is???

Are u expecting psi of African lions,Siberian tiger and Jag is high Vs Bengal Tiger??

It looks 90% believable for me.  Happy

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-17-2016, 12:04 AM by Pckts )

Point is that numbers posted on the list were misleading, you asked for a source, so I showed you.
Why don't you read it, its informative.
4 users Like Pckts's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned

Expected some simple source not a long essay which kill my entire day to read on stupid fiber-Computer analysis ...... yeah, it's OK but you can simply measure it in any zoo.

Which animal psi u think is mislead?

Grizzly Enthusiast

The hyena, unless it is some species other than spotted hyena, in clearly wrong. I would think that were this a truly scientific study, the species would be given. The measuring of animal bite force is without a doubt not an exact science. How do you command a wild animal to "give it his all"?  Those who are "in the know" might perhaps come closer to the truth by analyzing the skulls and muscles of the animals. Paleontologists have thus been measuring the bite force of such animals as Tyrannosaurus rex and many other prehistoric animals for years.
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-17-2016, 03:31 AM by Pckts )

(12-17-2016, 12:14 AM)Vinay Wrote: Expected some simple source not a long essay which kill my entire day to read on stupid fiber-Computer analysis ...... yeah, it's OK but you can simply measure it in any zoo.

Which animal psi u think is mislead?

The lion for one.
Essay? It's not that long of a read and you can always skip to the results. Measuring a zoo cat is also misleading since there are variances between captive and wild skulls same with muscle mass.
3 users Like Pckts's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM by Vinay )

(12-17-2016, 03:17 AM)Pckts Wrote: The lion for one.
Essay? It's not that long of a read and you can always skip to the results. Measuring a zoo cat is also misleading since there are variances between captive and wild skulls same with muscle mass.

Are you expecting lower or higher psi for lions!! As a semi scavenger in African savanna it is more than enough for lions.

Zoo animals findings are more reliable than fiber in any given day.BTW did you read the report? in the report no Panthera Leo or Panthera Tigris Tigris or Panthera Tigris Altica are measured.

India Vinay Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 12-17-2016, 05:26 PM by Vinay )

(12-17-2016, 03:00 AM)brotherbear Wrote: The hyena, unless it is some species other than spotted hyena, in clearly wrong. I would think that were this a truly scientific study, the species would be given. The measuring of animal bite force is without a doubt not an exact science. How do you command a wild animal to "give it his all"?  Those who are "in the know" might perhaps come closer to the truth by analyzing the skulls and muscles of the animals. Paleontologists have thus been measuring the bite force of such animals as Tyrannosaurus rex and many other prehistoric animals for years.
http://tailandfur.com/most-strongest-ani...-of-psi/2/

His theory: Spotted/Striped Hyena with a PSI of 1100: Since they do eat a lot of food that is coarser their teeth are designed to be good at crushing and eating off large bones.

btw any critical one can rise many queries on each and every study, what is new in it? 

Some consider Paleontologists are gods and their theories  (T-Rex are extinct so everything is a theory) are 100% true ....   Ha Ha

Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.wearesites.com/Personal/Hyena...ed_faq.php 

Q: How hard can a hyena bite, really?
A: Dr. Frank advises me a lot of figures get tossed around, but they usually involve one attempt to measure one individual animal's strength on one occasion. Such figures aren't much use. But a hyena can support its own weight by its jaws -- it can actually hang by its jaws from a larger animal. Hyenas -- Nature's Gangsters shows dramatic proof of this when a hyena hangs onto a full-grown topi antelope by its jaws alone while the topi leaps, lunges and spins in a futile effort to throw off its captor.

However, Wendy Binder of UCLA did do a study on Dr. Frank's hyenas. According to Dr. Frank:
Quote:"Unfortunately, Wendy's thesis presents her data in terms of force (Newtons) rather than pressure (psi). She measured forces as high as 4500 Newtons, but a quick search of the internet did not show me an easy way to convert this to a pressure measure. I assume that would involve dividing the force measure over a surface area; the unit conversation program that I found said that 4500 Newtons is equal to 1011 pound force. Perhaps if this were divided by the surface area of the tooth doing the biting??? I would guess that is less than 1/4 sq. in., so the force might be around 4000 psi???"
That should give you an idea how uncertain such measurements are, even in a laboratory setting. But suffice it to say you wouldn't want to get bitten by a spotted hyena.;-)
These figures may not apply to striped and brown hyenas, and definitely don't apply to aardwolves, whose jaws and teeth are so feeble that they can't even chew meat.
3 users Like brotherbear's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

If I recall correctly, on Carnivora, Ursus Arctos posted a study the conducted the bite force of a female gorilla.

I'll post the page with it shortly after I find it.
2 users Like Polar's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(12-17-2016, 10:57 AM)Vinay Wrote:
(12-17-2016, 03:17 AM)Pckts Wrote: The lion for one.

Are you expecting lower or higher psi for lions?? As a semi scavenger in African savanna it is more than enough for lions.

Zoo animals findings are more reliable than fiber in any day.BTW did you read the report? in the report no Panthera Leo  and no Panthera Tigris Tigris or Panthera Tigris Altica are measured.
What a stupid answer ! About the african lions:
1) false assertion: the  scavengers have often, if not always, the strongest bites.
2) what you think is not an approved scientific fact. Only a biased opinion.
3 users Like Spalea's post