There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 08:05 AM by Timbavati )

The bravest male lion of Sabi Sands!
The infamous Kinky Tail/Shaka of the once powerful Mapogo coalition
Sabi Sand-GR,September 2009
credit: Kate Wooderson

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Born to be a legend!
The legendary Makulu of the Mapogo coalition during a safari trip to Sabi Sands on April 2005
Sabi Sand-GR,April 2005
credit: Ozrusty

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Makulu and Mr T after defeating to the Matimba males during a fight on Sabi Sands (June 2011)
Mapogos: 28 hours later after the fight 
Sabi Sand-GR,June 20 2011.
credit: Khimbini Hlongwane

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 10:57 PM by Timbavati )

Sabi Sand map (Approx territories of coalitions)
the Majingilane and Matimba territories is what the Mlowathi males once dominated for over 2 years,Isn't that awesome?

4 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Interesting video on the single lions and coalitions that the Mapogos fought, some of whom they killed during these fights. The video is interesting because it was put out by Sabi Sand Game Reserve, and lists all of the lions and coalitions, that they are aware of, that the Mapogos fought with, the first time I had seen such a list. The list provided by them is as follows:

Nhlanguleni Male (1 Male)
Northern Coalition (4 Males)
Gwarri Bush Male (1 Male)
Dzunani Male (1 Male)
Rocky Serengeti Male (1 Male)
Nkuhuma Coalition (2 Males)
Ravenscourt Male (1 Male)
Skukuza Coalition (4 Males)
One eye and Stompie Coalition(2 Males)
Rollercoaster Male (1 Male)
Tsalala Male Solo (1 Male)
Nomadic Coalition (4 Males)
Nomadic Coalition (2 Males)
Manyeleti Coalition (2 Males)
Golf Course Coalition (2 Males)
Gijima Coalition (2 Males)
Toulon Coalition (3 Males)
Majingilane Coalition (5 Males, Day battle)
Matimba Coalition (3 Males)
Othawa Coalition (2 Males)
Selati Coalition (4 Males, two battles)
Limper KNP Male (1 Male)

Casulties:
Casulties include at least 13 fully grown Males killed by the Mapogos. It is not known exactly how many of the Skukuza Males were killed but all disappeared and at least 1 killed from the Mapogo conflict. The Western Mapogos also killed 2 Nomadic Males in 2009. The Mapogos simply were doing nature's calling and they excelled as Lions like no others have:

1 Nhlanguleni Male
1 Northern Male
1 Gwarri Bush Male
1 Dzunani Male
1 Rocky Serengeti Male
1 Skukuza Male
1 Nkuhuma Male
1 Golf Course Male
2 Nomadic Males
1 Manyeleti Male
1 Majingilane Male
1 KNP Male

2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-09-2020, 04:38 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Interesting video on the single lions and coalitions that the Mapogos fought, some of whom they killed during these fights. The video is interesting because it was put out by Sabi Sand Game Reserve, and lists all of the lions and coalitions, that they are aware of, that the Mapogos fought with, the first time I had seen such a list. The list provided by them is as follows:

Dzunani Male (1 Male)
Limper KNP Male (1 Male)

Casulties:
Casulties include at least 13 fully grown Males killed by the Mapogos. It is not known exactly how many of the Skukuza Males were killed but all disappeared and at least 1 killed from the Mapogo conflict. The Western Mapogos also killed 2 Nomadic Males in 2009. The Mapogos simply were doing nature's calling and they excelled as Lions like no others have:

1 Nhlanguleni Male
1 Northern Male
1 Gwarri Bush Male
1 Dzunani Male
1 Rocky Serengeti Male
1 Skukuza Male
1 Nkuhuma Male
1 Golf Course Male
2 Nomadic Males
1 Manyeleti Male
1 Majingilane Male
1 KNP Male

The Mapogo were really true warriors.

I doubt that we can witness again a coalition like them
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-09-2020, 05:27 AM by BA0701 )

(10-09-2020, 04:40 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 04:38 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Interesting video on the single lions and coalitions that the Mapogos fought, some of whom they killed during these fights. The video is interesting because it was put out by Sabi Sand Game Reserve, and lists all of the lions and coalitions, that they are aware of, that the Mapogos fought with, the first time I had seen such a list. The list provided by them is as follows:

Dzunani Male (1 Male)
Limper KNP Male (1 Male)

Casulties:

1 Nhlanguleni Male
1 Northern Male
1 Gwarri Bush Male
1 Dzunani Male
1 Rocky Serengeti Male
1 Skukuza Male
1 Nkuhuma Male
1 Golf Course Male
2 Nomadic Males
1 Manyeleti Male
1 Majingilane Male
1 KNP Male

Agreed, a true wrecking crew, and when you realize that a lot of that damage was done by just two of them, the Mlowathis, makes it even crazier. However, the Majingilanes ruled for a really long time as well, and they destroyed a lot of lions as well. I have often wondered how things might have been different, had the 5th not been killed by KT and Mr T. My interest in lions was spurned by the Mapogos, and a random video popping up in my YT feed.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-09-2020, 04:49 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 04:40 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Dzunani Male (1 Male)
Limper KNP Male (1 Male)

Casulties:

1 Nhlanguleni Male
1 Northern Male
1 Gwarri Bush Male
1 Dzunani Male
1 Rocky Serengeti Male
1 Skukuza Male
1 Nkuhuma Male
1 Golf Course Male
2 Nomadic Males
1 Manyeleti Male
1 Majingilane Male
1 KNP Male

Agreed, a true wrecking crew, and when you realize that a lot of that damage was done by just two of them, the Mlowathis, makes it even crazier. However, the Majingilanes ruled for a really long time as well, and they destroyed a lot of lions as well. I have often wondered how things might have been different, had the 5th not been killed by KT and Mr T. My interest in lions was spruned by the Mapogos, and a random video popping up in my YT feed.
The Majingilane were also killing machines,However,If we look that the Mlowathi males conquered almost entire Sabi Sands for 2 years it makes them very special,especially when even the Matimbas (HB & Ginger) weren't able to dominanted it for that long...
The ppl thinks that the Mapogo males doesn't deserve any kind of put as one of the best coalitions of "SS" for the simply fact that they didn't left much legacy,However,I really admire them for that they have do and not for how many sons they left
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Until where I was able to measure were around 35.000 HA

Super Moderator

(10-09-2020, 05:22 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Until where I was able to measure were around 35.000 HA

@"TinoArmando" ?

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 12:31 AM by Timbavati )

The territory controlled by the Mluwati males  were close to 35.000 HA
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(10-10-2020, 06:01 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The territory controlled by the Mluwati males  were close to 35.000 HQ

Ah, indeed my friend, they controlled a massive chunk of land. Perhaps too big, given they have no offspring to show for it.

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2020, 07:28 AM by BA0701 )

Another interesting video, recently released by the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, documenting the fights between Makhulu, Pretty Boy, and the KNP boys, Freddy, and Limper. I had read of the fight, but never came across the details explained in this video, particularly that Makhulu killed Limper. The information I had previously come across, explained that the fight had taken place, and that is where Makhulu got the new scars under his left eye, but not much beyond that. Another interesting thing is I was unaware of just how big Freddy and Limper were, they look massive in this video.

Just like our Lion Stories thread, I really enjoy watching and reading these old stories that are only recently being brought to light, especially when it concerns the lions that started my interest in wanting to learn more about these magnificent creatures, The Mapogos.

2 users Like BA0701's post

Malaysia scilover Offline

Are all the lion belongs to anybody?? Or they are wild lion? Since they go for a fight and even have a name..

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(10-15-2020, 12:19 PM)scilover Wrote: Are all the lion belongs to anybody?? Or they are wild lion? Since they go for a fight and even have a name..

Wild lions..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post