There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-16-2021, 04:35 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 04:20 AM)Psyckoo Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 04:17 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I heard none of the mapogo sons are alive anymore, when did the last die?

Well, we don't know as the last sons of Mapogo Othawa m and t enter Kruger park and were never see again...

What year was this?

End of 2011 as far as I remember.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Thanks guys, were the mapogo daughters more successfull? I believe Othawa male is a mapogo grandson through his mother correct?

Psyckoo Offline

(01-16-2021, 03:03 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Thanks guys, were the mapogo daughters more successfull? I believe Othawa male is a mapogo grandson through his mother correct?

Yes he is a grandson of Mapogo, as for daughters you have the Othawa and Mangheni pride with Mapogo daughters, not all but the older yes.
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-16-2021, 03:03 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Thanks guys, were the mapogo daughters more successfull? I believe Othawa male is a mapogo grandson through his mother correct?

We can't say if they were more sucesfull as we do not know how succesfull Othawa males were in KNP althrought althrought what it comes to lagacy of of Mapogo daughters then we have:

From Othawa females:
-younger Othawa lionesses and dominant over Mhangeni pride her littermate brother - Othawa males
-current 4 subadults in Othawa pride
-cubs in Mhanegni pride sired by Othawa male

From Mhangeni females:
-entire Kambula pride made of 6 adult daughters of Mhangeni females and their subadults sired by Birminghams
- 2 dominant in KNP older Mhangeni males and their offspring in KNP of unknown ammount
- 2 younger Mhangeni females 
- 1 subadult in Mhangeni pride
- 4 current cubs in Mhangeni pride
3 users Like Potato's post

Psyckoo Offline

(01-16-2021, 03:53 PM)Potato Wrote:

We can't say if they were more sucesfull as we do not know how succesfull Othawa males were in KNP althrought althrought what it comes to lagacy of of Mapogo daughters then we have:

From Othawa females:
-younger Othawa lionesses and dominant over Mhangeni pride her littermate brother - Othawa males
-current 4 subadults in Othawa pride
-cubs in Mhanegni pride sired by Othawa male

From Mhangeni females:
-entire Kambula pride made of 6 adult daughters of Mhangeni females and their subadults sired by Birminghams
- 2 dominant in KNP older Mhangeni males and their offspring in KNP of unknown ammount
- 2 younger Mhangeni females 
- 1 subadult in Mhangeni pride
- 4 current cubs in Mhangeni pride

I agree but even if we see sons of Othawa m and t, we will never know that was Othawa males that sired them since we don't have nothing of them...
Just like Majingilane, we can suppose who sired them but we will never know exacly.
But yes large part of KNP are 'inexplore' and i hope that one day we will see and start to know who are these unknow lions who have their own story...

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Kinky Tail

credits to its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

credits: Jutta Maue Kay

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogo Coalition 
Dated:  January 31, 2011
Greg Coates Report

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/01/21/mapo...es-report/
1 user Likes fursan syed's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I've seen this "100 lions killed" figure floating around and I'm wondering how much truth there is to it? Looking at the current map there seems to be barely 100 lions in the whole of sabi. Were there just more lions around 10 years ago, or is this number pulled from air?

Also do we know the names of ruling pride male lions killed by the mapogos?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2021, 12:32 AM by Tr1x24 )

(01-23-2021, 12:13 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I've seen this "100 lions killed" figure floating around and I'm wondering how much truth there is to it? Looking at the current map there seems to be barely 100 lions in the whole of sabi. Were there just more lions around 10 years ago, or is this number pulled from air?

Its overexageration, used for the purpouse of the documentary, if they killed 100 lions in 1 year, there would be no lions left in Sabi Sands.. 

There was discussion here about that before, i think that number is around 30-40 lions in a year.. And around 100 lions in total over their reign of 6 yrs, althrough even those numbers are questionable, as many lions who disapeared around Mapogo reign, where proclaimed that they where killed by Mapogos, but without evidence..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(01-23-2021, 12:13 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I've seen this "100 lions killed" figure floating around and I'm wondering how much truth there is to it? Looking at the current map there seems to be barely 100 lions in the whole of sabi. Were there just more lions around 10 years ago, or is this number pulled from air?

Yes, They have killed 100 lions in just 1 year. As per Willem Botha.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-23-2021, 12:42 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Yes, They have killed 100 lions in just 1 year. As per Willem Botha.

Thats not true and its impossible..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Question is if you want to count only those direceted killed by Mapoos or also who died cause of preasure caused on prides in the region by the Mapogos. For example when Majingilanes took over Othawa pride from Salati males they killed directly like one of around 10 subadults in that pride sired by Salatis, but in the end all of them died as they were forced to run away spent their time away from the pride while they were too young to feed for themselfs. In such case it easly can be argued that Majingilanes caused death of all of those subadults even through they did not kill them directly.
1 user Likes Potato's post

United States Matimbalani Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2021, 03:36 AM by Matimbalani )

I  am suspicious of nice round numbers like "100" even if a ranger said that. Now if it was a field researcher like Professor Craig Packer then I would be more inclined to believe it. (Not suggesting malice on part of anyone; it's just that the threshold for truth is relevant and we should keep that in mind.)

As an experiment, even with all the social media and near constant flow of information from Sabi Sands can anyone say exactly how many lions are in Sabi Sands right now?
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogo Coalition 
Dated:  January 26, 2011
Greg Coates Report

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/01/23/mapo...es-report/
1 user Likes fursan syed's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Someone made a website for a dead lion? Interesting...