There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Mapogo: Lion´s Diary - Five Mapogo (Eyrefield) Male Lions
– 16th February 2008
"...Five Eyrefield Male lions were found in the late morning sleeping on Western Side Mlowathi. Their position was some ways south of the area where they are predominately found around Mlowathi dam. Perhaps they are looking to extend their territory southwards into that of the Rollercoaster Male Lion. The lions were all well fed and were left sleeping in the shade. Rangers that followed up on the lions in the afternoon were rewarded for their patience when all 5 male lions started to roar. The lions were left to themselves shortly afterwards, as they looked content to continue sleeping."
(Mr. T, Kinky Tail, Rasta, Dreadlocks and Pretty Boy)
Photograph taken by Ranger Mathew Meyer

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Two Mapogo male lions purchasing the old male Rollercoaster. The hunting was long but finally resulted in a dead end despite the old king stood his ground...

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(12-27-2020, 04:13 AM)Spalea Wrote: Two Mapogo male lions purchasing the old male Rollercoaster. The hunting was long but finally resulted in a dead end despite the old king stood his ground...

What a stunning story! Look at the min 6:52. Mr T has a disagreement with Kinky Tail. Which resulted with Kinky Tail been a bit beaten by Mr T until the Styx females joined and bite to Mr T.
Many people not showed much admiration for the Rollercoaster males. But they were really a very successfully coalition. As well, Their spirit of survivor and wise when were being pressured by the Mlowathi. Means a lot for just a single male against two
IMO, The Mlowathi males were one of the strongest duo in the lion story. Until now of the many coalitions that once dominate over Sabi Sand, Were  incapable of hold such a big territory as they did, They also had a very strong bond, for that's they were successfully
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"They might be bulkier, more muscular and bigger bone structures, but as we can see on this video clearly that Dreadlocks and Mr T are very close in height:"

Rob the ranger in the comment section (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jg2Y-uCBs&ab_channel=RobTheRangerWildlifeVideos) on who was the largest of the Mapogos:

"Dreadlocks but not by much, you can see in the video there is not a lot of difference between any of them"

"Pre split KT and Mr T definitely looked smaller compared to their brothers"

I have no idea no what you based that statement, but it definitelly wasn't the case. There was nice video from 2008 on which we could see Mr T, Dreadlocks and Rasta walking next to each others on which differences in their sizes were clearly vissible. Sadly I can not find it anymore, it seems yt account on which video was has been deleted/banned. Anyway there we could see Mr T being close both in hight and arm size to Dreadlocks and significantlly taller and more muscular than Rasta.

"but thats because they where younger and still developing, they where only around 6 when they split"

Still growing past 6 years old? Oh come on...
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Actually I found the video from 2008 I have mentioned

https://video.fktw5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.9040-2/83493593_516289642338121_8056856599978835968_n.mp4?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=985c63&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6ImxlZ2FjeV9zZCJ9&_nc_ohc=QEVOXOVVq_0AX_vQasQ&_nc_ht=video.fktw5-1.fna&oh=f383598f6dd0964b44d9ba96b1fa2f56&oe=5FE7EC8B

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=463191667681717

Timbavati Online
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 08:38 AM by Timbavati )

(12-27-2020, 05:00 AM)Potato Wrote: "They might be bulkier, more muscular and bigger bone structures, but as we can see on this video clearly that Dreadlocks and Mr T are very close in height:"

Rob the ranger in the comment section (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jg2Y-uCBs&ab_channel=RobTheRangerWildlifeVideos) on who was the largest of the Mapogos:

"Dreadlocks but not by much, you can see in the video there is not a lot of difference between any of them"

"Pre split KT and Mr T definitely looked smaller compared to their brothers"

I have no idea no what you based that statement, but it definitelly wasn't the case. There was nice video from 2008 on which we could see Mr T, Dreadlocks and Rasta walking next to each others on which differences in their sizes were clearly vissible. Sadly I can not find it anymore, it seems yt account on which video was has been deleted/banned. Anyway there we could see Mr T being close both in hight and arm size to Dreadlocks and significantlly taller and more muscular than Rasta.

"but thats because they where younger and still developing, they where only around 6 when they split"

Still growing past 6 years old? Oh come on...
That's a good answer from Rob the Ranger, As per Khimbini Mak and Dread were big boys.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 02:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-27-2020, 05:00 AM)Potato Wrote: Rob the ranger in the comment section (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jg2Y-uCBs&ab_channel=RobTheRangerWildlifeVideos) on who was the largest of the Mapogos:

Found it and this is exactly my point and what i said:

(12-27-2020, 05:00 AM)Potato Wrote: I have no idea no what you based that statement, but it definitelly wasn't the case. There was nice video from 2008 on which we could see Mr T, Dreadlocks and Rasta walking next to each others on which differences in their sizes were clearly vissible. Sadly I can not find it anymore, it seems yt account on which video was has been deleted/banned. Anyway there we could see Mr T being close both in hight and arm size to Dreadlocks and significantlly taller and more muscular than Rasta.

I know about that video, and i was not talking specifically about 2008, yet the years when Mapogos started to dominate, as they where the youngest, and from that prob came that Mr T and KT where smaller, but in later videos we clearly see thats not the case.. 

(12-27-2020, 05:00 AM)Potato Wrote: Still growing past 6 years old? Oh come on...

I said developing.. 

They dont grown in height past around 4-5 yrs or so (depends), but their physical peak is 7-9 yrs of age.. 

You have different opinions on lions peak years, we know ,i have my..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"I know about that video, and i was not talking specifically about 2008, yet the years when Mapogos started to dominate, as they where the youngest, and from that prob came that Mr T and KT where smaller, but in later videos we clearly see thats not the case.. "

There are bassiclly no sources on Mapogo's early years from which we could judge Mlovathis size in compare to their brothers. No videos,, bassiclly no photos, no nothink. Some were spreading on claims on internet that Mr T or both Mlovathis, depends from which exactly internet "expert" to ask, were much smaller than other Mapogos, but those claims were just stupid, based on absolutelly nothink. It was like one guy say stupid think and then dozen blindly repeats it without checking if it is indeed truth. 

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-27-2020, 02:44 PM)Potato Wrote: There are bassiclly no sources on Mapogo's early years from which we could judge Mlovathis size in compare to their brothers. No videos,, bassiclly no photos, no nothink. Some were spreading on claims on internet that Mr T or both Mlovathis, depends from which exactly internet "expert" to ask, were much smaller than other Mapogos, but those claims were just stupid, based on absolutelly nothink. It was like one guy say stupid think and then dozen blindly repeats it without checking if it is indeed truth. 

Well i said, that prob from there comes those claims.. 4 older ones sooner came in prime years then them, so they where naturally bigger at that times..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Dred

Mak

3 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

What a stunning lions Mak and Dread were.

Psyckoo Offline

Until his last breath, he was a true King.
I hope that you are in peace now somewhere with your brothers...

Credit : Londolozi
4 users Like Psyckoo's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Kinky Tail Mapogo
caption by the photographer: "Crooked Tail" - One of a coalition of brothers that terrorized other lion prides in the Sabi Sands reserve in South Africa.
Image by: Exclusively Africa

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

These boys still alive?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-05-2021, 02:55 AM)Tonpa Wrote: These boys still alive?

They disapeared in Kruger around 2012.. They would be 13 yrs old now if alive.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post