There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2020, 12:18 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-30-2020, 11:19 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: He might take his new pals with him to kick some tumbela butt?

He is too old for that, i think that only thing on his mind atm is to get food, he is at the stage where dominance is not priority for him.. 

Also, somebody said that they might kill him, highly unlikely, he and Nkuhuma male hang out few times already this year.. 

They will most likely lose him behind, at his age, he cant follow young nomadic males for long..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Being with those young male lions will absolutely help him and he is getting much needed nourishment by sticking to such lions from time to time."

You judge that only through Hb's perspective. Take it from Nkuchuma and Styx males perspective as well. Young males have absolutely no use to keep HB near. 

"Kill him? I believe a lion as experienced as HB could sense whether such males mean him harm by their body language and growls."

Not that he charged 3 Northern Avocas and barely walked alive... Also remember when 3 Tooth Tsalala shared kill with HRM and Shy Boy (coalition partner of HRM. They were peacefully sharing food for one day and in next one HRM and Shy Boy mauled 3 Tooth. Also we could look for a resemblances when 2 yet young by that time Ross males meet on a kill with White Face Giraffe male and badly mauled him. MOreover since HB is in such condition, young males wouldn't need to worry of HB fighting them back and they could maul him simply because they can.

"Even if this is a possibility, he needs to take his chances if the Othawa Pride is beyond his reach more often than not.  Other options must be considered."

He must to keep going. I just do not think he can manage to saty alvie much longer no matter how much risk he is gonna take and how hard he will try.

"He might take his new pals with him to kick some tumbela butt?"

Young, healty males won't make a coalition with such old, nearly dying male. 

"Also, somebody said that they might kill him, highly unlikely, he and Nkuhuma male hang out few times already this year.. "

I am not saying it is highly likely option, but definitely I wouldn't say it is highly unlikelly option either.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Is it known who hairy bellys father(s) were?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-31-2020, 03:51 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Is it known who hairy bellys father(s) were?

3 old Skybed males.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Being with the Nkuchuma and Styx male, does that mean he is a nomad?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-01-2021, 09:11 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Being with the Nkuchuma and Styx male, does that mean he is a nomad?

Yeah you could said that, but he is at the stage of life/condition when he doesnt care about that, he is now only trying to survive.. 

Ultimately he will starve to death or get killed by other prides/males or hyenas , thats the sad fate of old lions..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Hopefully HB made it into the new year, any news on the big fella?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-02-2021, 02:21 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Hopefully HB made it into the new year, any news on the big fella?

Last was that he was with NK/Styx.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-02-2021, 02:21 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Hopefully HB made it into the new year, any news on the big fella?

Last update from December 30,2020.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Musa15 Offline

He has lived through 3 different decades. The last photos of his large gaping facial wound was very worrying though, unfortunately too likely to get infected. Whatever happens this upcoming time, lets just hope rangers' activity increases so that they report any (final) sightings.
2 users Like Musa15's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Matimba male Hairy Belly seen at Idube Game Reserve, Western Sabi Sands, today, January 2.

8 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Nhduna Matimba male feeding off a buffalo with the young Matimba males on Ngala Private Game Reserve - July 2009
Image by: Sandra Baynes.

5 users Like T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hairy Belly spotted on 4/01/2021 by By Omega Godi

He was seen alone

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Hairy tummy Offline