There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Mantimahle Males

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(10-26-2018, 12:10 AM)Raj8143 Wrote: interesting their should be war between bboys n this mantimahle

Not really, they're too far apart, they won't come into contact.

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(10-26-2018, 06:28 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 12:10 AM)Raj8143 Wrote: interesting their should be war between bboys n this mantimahle

Not really, they're too far apart, they won't come into contact.

but they can come in contact with avoca males

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(10-27-2018, 02:58 PM)Raj8143 Wrote: but they can come in contact with avoca males

The possibility is there, it's true that they're relatively closer. However, the Mantimahle haven't showed too much interest on going further north so far, it seems their territory already is big enough so they have no need.

United States Space Jam Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-28-2018, 12:18 AM by Space Jam )

These have become my favorite group of lions over the last 6 months. Very little is known about them however. They tend to go back an forth from KNP. I'm not sure but they do seem to be extremely large and physical. I find them to be some of the most impressive lions alive today. (I did however just find the shish lions and theyre damn impressive 2.) Can anyone give me a backstory to how they these lions came to be? I know there was 5 at one point but he's presumed he's dead. Was the crocidile attack on the 5th lion or was it just assumed the 4th lion died incorrectly? (Above is a picture of all 4, and looks recent)

Chris Offline

(10-28-2018, 12:17 AM)Space Jam Wrote: These have become my favorite group of lions over the last 6 months. Very little is known about them however. They tend to go back an forth from KNP. I'm not sure but they do seem to be extremely large and physical. I find them to be some of the most impressive lions alive today. (I did however just find the shish lions and theyre damn impressive 2.) Can anyone give me a backstory to how they these lions came to be? I know there was 5 at one point but he's presumed he's dead. Was the crocidile attack on the 5th lion or was it just assumed the 4th lion died incorrectly? (Above is a picture of all 4, and looks recent)

The crocodile report was fake, and the 5th male reportedly or presumably chose to be solo or alone. But in my opinion he’s probably checking up on their vast territory in the Kruger.

United States Space Jam Offline

(10-28-2018, 03:47 AM)Chris Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 12:17 AM)Space Jam Wrote: These have become my favorite group of lions over the last 6 months. Very little is known about them however. They tend to go back an forth from KNP. I'm not sure but they do seem to be extremely large and physical. I find them to be some of the most impressive lions alive today. (I did however just find the shish lions and theyre damn impressive 2.) Can anyone give me a backstory to how they these lions came to be? I know there was 5 at one point but he's presumed he's dead. Was the crocidile attack on the 5th lion or was it just assumed the 4th lion died incorrectly? (Above is a picture of all 4, and looks recent)

The crocodile report was fake, and the 5th male reportedly or presumably chose to be solo or alone. But in my opinion he’s probably checking up on their vast territory in the Kruger.

Ok ty for clearing up the crocidile report. Also hasnt the 5th male been MIA for 6+ months? From what I know most lions prefer at least 1 partner. I would find it odd that he'd prefer to protect such a dangerous and evolving area solo.

Chris Offline

(10-28-2018, 04:35 AM)Space Jam Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 03:47 AM)Chris Wrote:

Ok ty for clearing up the crocidile report. Also hasnt the 5th male been MIA for 6+ months? From what I know most lions prefer at least 1 partner. I would find it odd that he'd prefer to protect such a dangerous and evolving area solo.

It happens quite often for example when the Matimbas were 6 the oldest and dominant male Nduna left them or disappeared, and the same goes to the old avoca male who left his 4 brothers to be solo and now he has the black dam pride as his own.

Australia Herekitty Offline

Image by Leslie Lawrence at Kirkman's Kamp, November 3, 2018

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Herekitty's post

Chris Offline

The Boys are slowly coming!!!
1 user Likes Chris's post

When you come round the bend and these three brutes appear, the feeling is indescribable. Image by Graeme Mitchley on the H4-1, November 11, 2018

4 users Like Herekitty's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(11-12-2018, 02:49 AM)Herekitty Wrote: When you come round the bend and these three brutes appear, the feeling is indescribable. Image by Graeme Mitchley on the H4-1, November 11, 2018

where are other 2 males "??

Here's one of them. Image by MelaniaTotaro & FlorianRegenfuss, November 12, 2018

6 users Like Herekitty's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(11-13-2018, 07:11 AM)Herekitty Wrote: Here's one of them. Image by MelaniaTotaro & FlorianRegenfuss, November 12, 2018

location? and how much away from avoca males?

@Raj8143 Typically the closest they come to the two Southern Avocas is 5-10 kms when the Mantimahles visit the Sand River pride at Kirkman's Kamp concession in the southern Sabi Sands, otherwise they patrol a massive area in predominantly uncharted territory in KNP. Perhaps because they already have a vast area with enough prides to satisfy their kingly appetites, they aren't interested in mixing it with younger, hungrier coalitions unless said coalitions encroach into the Mantimahle territory.

Blending into the backdrop of their surroundings, sometimes lions will be feet away from you before you notice them. It always takes my breath away to see these majestic creatures in person in the wild and roaming free. When they look into your eyes it's like they capture the inside of your soul and quickly remind you with one glance of your place on this earth...how small we are and how grateful we should be. Images by Elise Poché, KNP, November 14, 2018

3 users Like Herekitty's post