There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Great Apes

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

About #286 @The Panther . No need to apologize, I just asked to get clear about what we are talking about. 

Gorillas are very interesting and for sure there can be (and I would be surprised if not) some really big ones.

This is one interesting case too:
https://books.google.fi/books?id=8xswCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA549&lpg=PA549&dq=gorilla+ambam+cameroon&source=bl&ots=0b6FjRkOWa&sig=ACfU3U3B8ygfNhyX0HqIypHxihGW9PhSDg&hl=fi&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi4wsHv0pPkAhXIJpoKHclWBZI4ChDoATADegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=gorilla%20ambam%20cameroon&f=false

In that is mentioned a gorilla, which was possibly "Great Gorilla of Ambam" mentioned by Merfield and Miller (1956) and shot on 22nd May 1926. It had been dead for 2 days before Merfield found the body already in an advanced state of decomposition. Weight 214 kg.
5 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Two interesting studies about gorilla sizes. Second one isn´t public, but introduction was available.

In this some good photos too:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281781329_The_weight_of_Wild_Gorillas_Sample_size_poorly_worded_field_notes_and_the_quality_of_the_published_mean_for_wild_female_Gorilla_gorilla_gorilla

Then this one, quote: 
"Body proportions and tissue composition (e.g., relative contributions of muscle, skin, bone, and adipose to total body mass) were determined through dissection of four adult captive lowland gorillas. The relative contribution of bone varies little among the four animals (10.2-13.4%) despite considerable range in body weights (99.5-211 kg). In tissue composition, three animals have on average 37.3% muscle relative to body mass. Maximum estimates of body fat range between 19.4-44%."

"The old, obese female had one half the muscle tissue of the other three animals (16% vs. 37.3%), and twice the body fat (44%)"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12365638_Body_mass_in_Lowland_Gorillas_a_quantitative_analysis
5 users Like Shadow's post

The Panther Offline

(08-21-2019, 05:02 PM)Shadow Wrote: About #286 @The Panther . No need to apologize, I just asked to get clear about what we are talking about. 

Gorillas are very interesting and for sure there can be (and I would be surprised if not) some really big ones.

This is one interesting case too:
https://books.google.fi/books?id=8xswCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA549&lpg=PA549&dq=gorilla+ambam+cameroon&source=bl&ots=0b6FjRkOWa&sig=ACfU3U3B8ygfNhyX0HqIypHxihGW9PhSDg&hl=fi&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi4wsHv0pPkAhXIJpoKHclWBZI4ChDoATADegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=gorilla%20ambam%20cameroon&f=false

In that is mentioned a gorilla, which was possibly "Great Gorilla of Ambam" mentioned by Merfield and Miller (1956) and shot on 22nd May 1926. It had been dead for 2 days before Merfield found the body already in an advanced state of decomposition. Weight 214 kg.

I think I've heard of that large Western gorilla before, it was shot in that very same region in Cameroon. I've always wanted to see a picture of that very male from Ambam, but I never thought his weight was actually verified afterwards. Thanks for that.
3 users Like The Panther's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

A young is learning to speak with the boss.

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Gorilla yawning...

Wildanimal Lover

Bonobo taking a bath... Of course it is relaxing into the water, but adult male chimpanzees become bald, bonobos not... Thus I seriously believe it's a bonobo even if it isn't precised.

The Panther Offline

"I dare you to get close to my kid."

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like The Panther's post

Wildanimal Lover

Tanjung Puting National Park:

Central Borneo: 

5 users Like Spalea's post

The Panther Offline

Beautiful image that was taken on the cold misty peak of Mount Bisoke.

3 users Like The Panther's post

The Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 07:39 AM by sanjay Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

Big Munyinya standing proud.

6 users Like The Panther's post

Wildanimal Lover

Young gorilla:

Much more mature gorilla:

3 users Like Spalea's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(08-21-2019, 05:10 PM)Shadow Wrote: Two interesting studies about gorilla sizes. Second one isn´t public, but introduction was available.

In this some good photos too:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281781329_The_weight_of_Wild_Gorillas_Sample_size_poorly_worded_field_notes_and_the_quality_of_the_published_mean_for_wild_female_Gorilla_gorilla_gorilla

Then this one, quote: 
"Body proportions and tissue composition (e.g., relative contributions of muscle, skin, bone, and adipose to total body mass) were determined through dissection of four adult captive lowland gorillas. The relative contribution of bone varies little among the four animals (10.2-13.4%) despite considerable range in body weights (99.5-211 kg). In tissue composition, three animals have on average 37.3% muscle relative to body mass. Maximum estimates of body fat range between 19.4-44%."

"The old, obese female had one half the muscle tissue of the other three animals (16% vs. 37.3%), and twice the body fat (44%)"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12365638_Body_mass_in_Lowland_Gorillas_a_quantitative_analysis

Here is the study: https://apeanatomyevolution.com/wp-conte...rillas.pdf

Greetings.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Wildanimal Lover

This chimp suffered from an alopecia and lost all his hairs. It's a captive chimp, Twycross Zoo in England... But look at the musculature !

Wildanimal Lover

Maternal attitude...

2 users Like Spalea's post

The Panther Offline

Big old Guhonda and a couple of his group members.

7 users Like The Panther's post