There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I am reading about Birmingham and it seems that they are fighting a lot among themselves, which is not good sign for their future.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-01-2015, 10:36 PM by Tshokwane )

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It all comes down with the mating rights and apparently the hierarchy is not well established yet, although I think the older Blond male is the dominant one. 
But it is normal, no lion wants to share. And anyway, when the mating is done and they reunite again the males spend a lot of time together bonding, rubbing their heads, lots of head-butting or merely just hanging out with each other. All this helps to strengthen their bonds.
Now, in the future it could be that two or three of the males decide to separate a bit and take a different territory for themselves, like the Mapogos and ther Matimbas did. But I believe this is going to happen maybe in one or two years in the future, not just right now because now they are begginning to be dominant over a territory and they will want to make sure they keep it well protected.

A couple of pics from today's wildearth sunset drive, these are snapshots taken by Gabi Hossain from the video of the drive in youtube:

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

PJD Photography and Guiding:
Great to be back in the bush. Had a good start by spending some time with two Birmingham boys and one female from the Styx pride.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

lioncrazy Offline

How much older is Blondie than his brothers?? he just don't seem like a big mak type of leader and protecter to me you know. I know everyone is going to say no lions can ever be mapogos and I agree it's just it's kinda the same situation with the mapogos he is  the way  older brother as was mak the are a big group and he finds him self as the leader of a very young coalition
2 users Like lioncrazy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

He's a bit older than three of the brothers, but I don't think by much, maybe some months older and he's a year or a year and half older than the youngest boy. 
I think there can't be really a comparison with Mak, mostly because he was two years older than his brothers. So when they started their conquests, he was in his prime, he had experience, much more than the other Mapogos and that really showed.
With the older Blond male( I call him Thor) this really can't apply. His actions show he's older, for example taking over mating rights and that kind of things. But aside that, he's also learning how to act and how to be dominant.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Chene Wales-Baillie AdventureWild:
One of the Birmingham coalition males this afternoon sitting next to me on drive. Absolutely love these males!

1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

United States Counter Offline
Banned

I'm not up to date on these guys, were the Birmingham males the group that killed of the Mapogos?
1 user Likes Counter's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Start reading in the first page, there is a bit dedicated to them, from which pride they came, ect.
But no, the males who defeated the Mapogos were the Majingilane males in 2010 and the Selati males in 2012.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

United States Counter Offline
Banned

(12-05-2015, 11:17 PM)Majingilane Wrote: Start reading in the first page, there is a bit dedicated to them, from which pride they came, ect.
But no, the males who defeated the Mapogos were the Majingilane males in 2010 and the Selati males in 2012.

Thanks, that's right now I remember the Majingilane males then the Selati's, were after that.
2 users Like Counter's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 12:48 AM by Tshokwane )

Pieter Dannhauser:
Birmingham male in search for his brothers. Stopped at a small pond for a quick drink.
Northern Sabi-Sand

Nkorho Rangers:

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM by Tshokwane )

Cheetah Plains:
This Birmingham male lion pulled down a buffalo calf close to Three in a Row pan a couple of days ago. We presume he got chased off the kill by elephants, as we located him quite a distance from the kill, with a fair deal of the carcass still intact, just resting close to one of the dried pans. Image by Candace Grey

Ep Rangers:
Birmingham male lion staring at his brother - Morné Fouché

Dawie Jacobs:
One of the Birmingham boys!! they are getting really big, watch this space

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Nkorho Rangers:
09 December 

(Morning)
- Two Birmingham males and one Styx female resting about Jacks pan. The one male was resting a distance from the other two lions as they were mating.

Greece LionKiss Offline

they seem to be quite young, some have not their mane fully developed yet,
how old are they?
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(12-09-2015, 11:59 PM)LionKiss Wrote: they seem to be quite young, some have not their mane fully developed yet,
how old are they?

One of them seems a bit older than the others as he has a darker nose, fuller built, thicker mane, and more tooth wear but not by very much , I guess/estimate the older one to be about 5.5 to 6 years and the other ones to be 4.5 to 5 years, from the little I could see
1 user Likes Dr Panthera's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2015, 01:36 AM by LionKiss )

this video shows them with semi-developed mane,
it seems that they challenge the Matimba Coalition

1 user Likes LionKiss's post