There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 02:28 AM by Mapokser )

(08-03-2022, 09:02 AM)afortich Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 08:45 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 12:13 AM)afortich Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 11:58 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 10:59 PM)afortich Wrote: Old and interesting video of Nhenha stopping Kambula pride from killing the Tsalala queens.
Nhenha always a gentleman!!

This ‘incident’ is what awoke my deep interest in studying the histories of Tsalala and the Birminghams…..until then, I really was only lurking on the periphery of Kruger lions

The same here bro. 
After this, I wanted to know more about Tsalala pride but what I couldn't figure out was how Tsalala and the Kambula pride are related, as mentioned in the video.

4 lionesses were born in the Tsalala pride by Mlowathi/Mapogos in I guess 2009. In 2010 the Majingilane attacked the pride after killing one of the Mapogos. One Tsalala female escaped with the 4 younger lionesses and raised them, these 4 lionesses would be later known as the Mangheni or Tsalala Breakaway pride.

The 4 lionesses had 6 female cubs with the Majingilane and they broke away from their mothers just like their mothers did with the original Tsalala Pride. These 6 and their descendents are what we call the Kambula pride.

Thanks for the info. 
So it seems that they are far relatives, I thought Tsalala queen was closer to Kambulas to the point that may have interacted before the encounter in the video.

Yeah, she was like a distant aunt to the Kambulas or something, there's no way they would have known that though, but well one of the Mangheni was attacked by her own mother when the Tsalala that took cared of them tried to rejoin the pride ( the Tsalala was accepted by her sisters, but not the cubs, the Tsalala who raised them protected the cub from her own mother ) and later the same Tsalala who raised the Mangheni was killed by them... So lions are unpredictable, never mind Manghenis and Kambulas who are descendends from very aggressive males, IIRC the Kambulas also attacked one of their Mangheni mothers once, but at least they didn't kill her.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

https://blog.londolozi.com/2022/08/03/the-last-of-the-birmingham-males-lineage/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social_media_tracking&utm_campaign=generic_lions_164&fbclid=IwAR3UZIPHPhlXlcboV6d37cn252EjNvQKfy5Dz2WzKvHASkvcbX0NEBVu06M
3 users Like Potato's post

RookiePundit Offline

And just in case, to prevent any confusion - Ntsevu is another name for Kambula pride, iirc it means six and is based on the number of back then young Kambulas females that broke away. It is used mostly by Londolozi while Kambula name is more widely used. So the names are interchangeable.
4 users Like RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A fantastic sighting of Nhenha crossing through the grasses of the sands river at MalaMala Game Reserve 
Photo credit: Lauren Cohen
Old sighting 

*This image is copyright of its original author
15 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The last Birmingham male lion 'Nhenha' at Sabi Sands Game Reserve 
Photo credit: Dawie Jacobs Photography 

11 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Some questions, when Nhenha and the NK male met as nomads, how long has it been since they last saw each other, and did Nhenha and the NK male recognized each other? Was Nhenha like "remembering" that this male was one of his cubs/nephew and was the NK recognizing the male was his father?

Regardless if that helped them to bond or not ( I know it's normal for lone nomadic males to form coalitions ) I'm just curious to know if they were able to recognize each other for their previous history together.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 09:28 AM by Tr1x24 )

(08-09-2022, 08:57 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Some questions, when Nhenha and the NK male met as nomads, how long has it been since they last saw each other, and did Nhenha and the NK male recognized each other? Was Nhenha like "remembering" that this male was one of his cubs/nephew and was the NK recognizing the male was his father?

Probably no, last time they where together was early 2018, Nkuhuma was only a sub then, maybe they remember some familiar scent but thats all.

Last year Nhena was chasing Nkuhuma and Styx, they where rivals.

Lions dont care much about family and blood, yet group which they are part of.

Fathers are attacking and ousting their sons even when they are part of the same group, some time even fataly wounding/killing them. At that point father and son connection is no more, they are enemies/rivals after that.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Beautiful Bonding capture of the Nhenha and Nkuhuma Coalition 

15 users Like criollo2mil's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 05:38 PM by Timbavati )

(08-09-2022, 09:20 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Beautiful Bonding capture of the Nhenha and Nkuhuma Coalition 

Dad and son sharing a tender moment.
Nhenha, the absolute legend of Sabi Sands. He will remembered in the Sabi Sands history for a long time. A coalition of five strong males in their prime, over the past years the numbers declined leaving only one, Nhenha on his own. Against all odds. He teamed up with his son/nephew and made a fresh start with a new coalition. In other words, like Notch and his five sons. If we talk about legendary lions or coalitions, Nhenha and the BBoys are at the top.
10 users Like Timbavati's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Definitely timbervati, i made a similar statement a few months ago. hopefully nhenha can sire and help raise another litter of mini nhenha's , that would be magic
7 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline

I think the Birmingham males have already entered into the 'Sabi Sands' most legendary coalitions' group, alongside the West Street-Mapogo-Majingilane-Matimba males.
8 users Like Lipstick2's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

I couldn't be more agree. The BBoys achieved  many things so far. They left a strong and massive lineage through the Sabi Sands and nearby reserves like Timbavati, Manyeleti or KNP. If I'm not mistaken, soon will turn their 7th year as dominant males.
7 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Nhenha, the last Birmingham male
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Old warrior on the move. The Birmingham male sporting a hunting injury after a Buffalo kill.
Photo credit: Keith Jenkinson

8 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-11-2022, 08:40 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Old warrior on the move. The Birmingham male sporting a hunting injury after a Buffalo kill.
Photo credit: Keith Jenkinson

Oh no, what kind of inury, a serious one?
2 users Like BA0701's post