There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

(08-18-2021, 11:21 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Good to see Tinyo doing better, also that he still has fire and power to fight..

I think i never see lion with so much scars on his face like Tinyo thru his life..

If both Bboys keep close with massive Kambula pride/breakeaway , chances that N. Avocas push them out completely are not great..

Even if Avocas get all adult Kambula females eventually, they can just move around with 13 subadults, who are becoming one of the strongest force in Sabi Sands, especially if 2 Bboys are in their company and will prob without a problem establish their territory (thats a lot of lions)..

I totally agree, I also do not remember any lion that has had so many bumps on his face that we know of during his life in recent years, as long as he keeps with good meals he will be able to maintain the condition for longer. With regard to the Kambula lionesses, they are undoubtedly strong and aggressive lionesses, so staying with them and fighting together if the situation arises will be very important to them. Nenha on the part of him looks like a younger lion for his condition, since he maintains excellent form.
7 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

I believe the sub-adults of the breakaway pride consists of 6 females and at least 5 males. If all of them make it to adulThood, The sons will be a formidable coalition and the daughters will form the next mega-pride.
6 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2021, 08:25 PM by Mdz123 )

Tinyo, dont know when was it taken but was a recent photo
https://www.instagram.com/p/CS2KVHCKwxe/?utm_medium=copy_link
6 users Like Mdz123's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 12:07 PM by Calvitoo )

The two Birminghams together yesterday in Londolozi, it seems that Tinyo has recovered, the BBoys are back and in good shape, they could regain control of their territory.
https://media.londolozi.com/wp-content/u...8x1065.jpg
6 users Like Calvitoo's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-24-2021, 12:07 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: The two Birminghams together yesterday in Londolozi, it seems that Tinyo has recovered, the BBoys are back and in good shape, they could regain control of their territory.

With N. Avocas taking control over MalaMala Main Camp area, it looks like Bboys shifted rather west into Londolozi then south, as they are seen regulary in Londolozi lately..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-24-2021, 12:07 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: The two Birminghams together yesterday in Londolozi, it seems that Tinyo has recovered, the BBoys are back and in good shape, they could regain control of their territory.

When they were both in top condition they still were giving ground to Avocas without much (or any) of a fight so I would not expect them to challange Avocas now.
1 user Likes Potato's post

BigLion39 Offline

I'm not sure id call it giving ground away, just seems to me that the lions in that general area were all shifting direction, south (I believe  correct me if I'm wrong).  Nhena and Tinyo  moved South, Blonde and Mohawk followed, Dark mane followed  and even the Imbali male was seen pushing (i think) south. Their territories overlap it seems.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(08-24-2021, 06:14 PM)Patata Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:07 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: Los dos Birminghams juntos ayer en Londolozi, parece que Tinyo se ha recuperado, los BBoys están de vuelta y en buena forma, podrían recuperar el control de su territorio.

Cuando ambos estaban en las mejores condiciones, todavía estaban cediendo terreno a Avocas sin mucha (o ninguna) pelea, así que no esperaría que desafiaran a Avocas ahora.
Tinyo was limping when the Avocas began to take territory so he was not quite in good condition to fight, so I think they have ceded territory because they were not in a position to fight
3 users Like Calvitoo's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Obiviously both N. Avocas and OM where putting pressure on Bboys, but with victory over OM it looks like Bboys are recently moving in that vacant space of OM in Londolozi, leaving area of MalaMala Main Camp to Avocas..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-24-2021, 07:35 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I'm not sure id call it giving ground away, just seems to me that the lions in that general area were all shifting direction, south (I believe  correct me if I'm wrong).  Nhena and Tinyo  moved South, Blonde and Mohawk followed, Dark mane followed  and even the Imbali male was seen pushing (i think) south. Their territories overlap it seems.
Male coalitions are willingly shifting territorys to take over new prides and get acces to mate with its females. In order to do that they have to control arena on which that pride is operating and they shift unwillingly when they get pushed out by another coalition. Coalitions do not shift territorys just because they like to visit new places and risk injurys in confrontations with other coalitions. Imbali male already has many litters sired in Imbali pride and he is looking for more females and the Talamati females being in oestrus are bringing his attention. Blondie and Mohawk has sired their cubs in Talamati and Nkuchuma pride and are also looking for more and the Kambulas being in oestrus are bringing atention. Same was with Birminghams in 2018. Direction south is coincidental. If there would be pride with females willing to mate in other dirrection than south and weak enough competition (for example coalition of 2 rather will not try to expand and compete on territory ruled by coalition of 5 even if there would be females willing to mate). It is not like lion coalions are expanding only towards south.

Birminghams now have been pushed out of the arena on which their only pride is operating. It is not a willing shit of territory. It is not like they found females intrest in some other pride and willingly left Kambula pride behind to spent time with another pride. They were pushed out of the arena by Avoca males. 
(08-24-2021, 08:09 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: Tinyo was limping when the Avocas began to take territory so he was not quite in good condition to fight, so I think they have ceded territory because they were not in a position to fight

Avocas are pushing on Birminghams for months already and the Tinyo definitelly wasn't limping all this time. Moreover Blondie Avoca also has his episodes were he was limping and his limp was looking worst than Tinyo's. In general wild lions barely are ever in 100% perfect condition to fight. There are always some potential excuses like being too young, being too old, having slight limp or would, being a bit thiner than ussually and so on. It is what it is in the wild. 

(08-24-2021, 08:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Obiviously both N. Avocas and OM where putting pressure on Bboys, but with victory over OM it looks like Bboys are recently moving in that vacant space of OM in Londolozi, leaving area of MalaMala Main Camp to Avocas..

They can buy their time trailing Kambula subs throughout southern Londolozi and south-central Mala Mala, but it won't last forever. Avocas, N'was or PC males (depends on the dynamic in the given moment) will come to that arena as well and since Birminghams showed to be not able to hold their on so far it won't be better for them later on. It is obvious that the next dominant over Kambula pride coalition will not just move around small arena around Main Camp as it is way too small for a coalition of male lions.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 09:49 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-24-2021, 09:20 PM)Potato Wrote: They can buy their time trailing Kambula subs throughout southern Londolozi and south-central Mala Mala, but it won't last forever. Avocas, N'was or PC males (depends on the dynamic in the given moment) will come to that arena as well and since Birminghams showed to be not able to hold their on so far it won't be better for them later on. It is obvious that the next dominant over Kambula pride coalition will not just move around small arena around Main Camp as it is way too small for a coalition of male lions.

Obiviously Bboys will get pushed out / defeated eventually, they are around 11 yrs of age, younger coalition will defeate them as it has been like that with every coalition, you name it..(if they dont die naturally like Majingilanes). 

But for now, even tho they gave up part of their territory to Avocas, they are still territorial males in central Sabi Sands and you nor anybody cant deny that.and its not trailing subadults, few Kambulas are with them, aswell they are chasing young males out of the pride..

We still didn't see more then 1 Kambula female in company of N. Avocas, if i remember correctly..Until we see bulk of Kambulas with N. Avocas, they didnt overtake anything.. 

I think PC males will target Nkuhumas, not Kambulas in future, less competition if Avocas abandon them completly..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-24-2021, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Obiviously Bboys will get pushed out / defeated eventually, they are around 11 yrs of age, younger coalition will defeate them as it has been like that with every coalition, you name it..(if they dont die naturally like Majingilanes). 

But for now, even tho they gave up part of their territory to Avocas, they are still territorial males in central Sabi Sands and you nor anybody cant deny that.and its not trailing subadults, few Kambulas are with them, aswell they are chasing young males out of the pride..

They are dominant over small arena with no pride on it. Is it reall a dominant coalition? For me having territory, but no prides kinda half nomadic stage. Birmingham's current spot so not much different than those of for example Nkuchuma male being kind of terrytorial on Singita or young Shish males on H7.

(08-24-2021, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: , few Kambulas are with them

As of June Mala Mala raport, 2 of the adult Kambula females are with a group of sub adults while other 4 are moving around their core territory, that is of of Birmingham males current terrytorial range. Also it will probably be very soon that even those two females will join rest of their sisters further north.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Honestly, we have been monitoring this "War" for months now and not much is happening. 
I don't think anyone can really be called a victor or a loser as both sides have failed to score a decisive victory. So we may wake up tomorrow up with the Birmingham's or Avoca's death.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 12:27 AM by Tr1x24 )

(08-24-2021, 10:01 PM)Potato Wrote: They are dominant over small arena with no pride on it. Is it reall a dominant coalition? For me having territory, but no prides kinda half nomadic stage. Birmingham's current spot so not much different than those of for example Nkuchuma male being kind of terrytorial on Singita or young Shish males on H7.

Comparing Nkuhuma/Styx status with Bboys? Ok...

No pride under control?? Ok.. 

(08-24-2021, 10:01 PM)Potato Wrote: As of June Mala Mala raport, 2 of the adult Kambula females are with a group of sub adults while other 4 are moving around their core territory, that is of of Birmingham males current terrytorial range. Also it will probably be very soon that even those two females will join rest of their sisters further north.

As I said, there was never more then 1 female seen in company with Avocas..

Just move on, no point of discussing this.. Again..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-24-2021, 11:22 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I don't think anyone can really be called a victor or a loser as both sides have failed to score a decisive victory.
If the goal is to takeover the territory then Avocas are the victors as they achieved their goal.

(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Comparing Nkuhuma/Styx status with Bboys? Ok...
Actually I missed that Styx and Nkuchuma were moving on larger arena than Birminghams over looping territory of one pride (Mhangeni) while Biminghams current territory does not over loop arena on which even single pride is operating...

(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: No pride under control?? Ok.. 
Did I miss somethink? Did Birminghams were seen again around Mala Mala Main Camp roaring, scent marking and in company with adult mambers of the pride? I do not think I did lol

(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As I said, there was never more then 1 female seen in company with Avocas..
I did not say Avocas already took over the Kambula pride, just the core of the pride's core territory. I said Birminghams lost control over that pride and are currently seen with not more than 2 adult females of the pride while 4 moving out of current terrytorial range of Birminghams.

(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: You really must hate Bboys

I do not hate Birminghams or any other particular lion. I would not even say I like Avocas any much more than Birminghams. I am not just blind on the changing lion dynamic.

(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: your claims are just funny at this point

Same story was for example when Tumbelas were taking over from Matimbas or when Monwanas were taking over from Black Dam. Even through change in lion dynamic is evident you do not notice that time after time.
(08-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: i guess you only saying those stuff to provoke at this point
lol what
(08-24-2021, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I think PC males will target Nkuhumas, not Kambulas in future, less competition if Avocas abandon them completly..
What PC males will do is unpredictable at this point. They can go for Kambulas or for Nkuchumas or Talamatis. Now they are in the middle of everythink.