There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smilodon populator

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(02-24-2019, 02:23 AM)smedz Wrote: Does anyone know if Smilodon Populator coexisted with American Lions? Did the huge bear Arctotherium coexist with Smilodon Populator, or did it die out before it come along?

The American "lion" Panthera atrox and the Smilodon populator did not coexisted in South America. There is an study that suggest that a skull from the giant jaguar Panthera onca messembrina was in fact Panthera atrox, but Dr Barnett Ross was disagree as he personally made genetic studies on those bones and are 100% jaguars.

About the Arctotherium, I don't have the information yet, but you can investigate a little more in the original documents, take in count the date of the specimens.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Turkey Arctotherium Offline

I think Machariodus Aphanistus is larger than Smilodon Populator.Machariodus Aphanistus's skull size is 500 mm

Expert & Researcher

(04-15-2019, 05:27 PM)Arctotherium Wrote: I think Machariodus Aphanistus is larger than Smilodon Populator.Machariodus Aphanistus's skull size is 500 mm

May you please put the source of that figure?

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Mother smilodon populator and her cubs... By Ralph Lomotan.

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Smilodon populator
Credit to @chavezhoffmeister

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher

A new record specimen for Smilodon populator:

I was reading this article, please check it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/scien...tiger.html

It is incredible that they found this new skull of S. populator that has a greatest lenght of 16 inches (406 mm), according with the article. The estimated body mass, based in the skull is about 960 lb (435.4 kg), but take in count that the formula used in the one of Van Valkenburg (1990) so the result should be taken with caution.

The original paper is here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1...ode=talc20

Sadly, I don't have access to it, so I need to trust in the news report for the moment.

Now, how big is a S. populator skull of 406 mm? One can say "hey, lions and tigers have bigger skulls than that", but is that correct? Well, let's check this image:

Here we can see the BoneClones specimens, the Amur tiger skull measure 383 mm and the Smilodon fatalis skull measure 357 mm, even then you can see that the skull of the Smilodon is more massive and bigger overall than that skull of tiger and will also surpass a lion skull of the same size. In this case, an skull of 406 mm will be more massive than any modern lion-tiger skull of similar length.

Now, here are two images of the skull, one of the specimen alone an the other with Andrés Rinderknecht, a paleontologiest at the National Museum of Natural History in Montevideo, Uruguay, holding the specimen. Check the images:

Incredible specimen, I will wait for more details before to make a comparison. For the moment, it holds the record for the largest saber-tooth cat in America.
4 users Like GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(03-15-2020, 11:25 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: A new record specimen for Smilodon populator:

I was reading this article, please check it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/scien...tiger.html

It is incredible that they found this new skull of S. populator that has a greatest lenght of 16 inches (406 mm), according with the article. The estimated body mass, based in the skull is about 960 lb (435.4 kg), but take in count that the formula used in the one of Van Valkenburg (1990) so the result should be taken with caution.

The original paper is here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1...ode=talc20

Sadly, I don't have access to it, so I need to trust in the news report for the moment.

Now, how big is a S. populator skull of 406 mm? One can say "hey, lions and tigers have bigger skulls than that", but is that correct? Well, let's check this image:

Here we can see the BoneClones specimens, the Amur tiger skull measure 383 mm and the Smilodon fatalis skull measure 357 mm, even then you can see that the skull of the Smilodon is more massive and bigger overall than that skull of tiger and will also surpass a lion skull of the same size. In this case, an skull of 406 mm will be more massive than any modern lion-tiger skull of similar length.

Now, here are two images of the skull, one of the specimen alone an the other with Andrés Rinderknecht, a paleontologiest at the National Museum of Natural History in Montevideo, Uruguay, holding the specimen. Check the images:

Incredible specimen, I will wait for more details before to make a comparison. For the moment, it holds the record for the largest saber-tooth cat in America.

@GuateGojira
It was a huge incredible Smilodon populator, thanks for sharing it with the Forum
2 users Like epaiva's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

By NORTH 02

A lot of of nice depictions about the saber tooth cats.

2 users Like Spalea's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 12:19 AM by GuateGojira )

Here is more information about the giant skull of S. populator: https://www.inverse.com/science/images-s...fying-size

"In a study published this month in the journal [i]Alcheringa, researchers detail how a gigantic Smilodon skull, found among sediments of the Dolores Formation in the west and south of Uruguay, completely changes paleontologists’ understanding of this ferocious feline.[/i]

“Average Smilodon populator skulls are around 35 cm long, with the length measured from premaxillary to condyle,” Aldo Manzuetti, a graduate student at Uruguay's University of the Republic and an author on the study, tells Inverse.

“This material is almost 38 cm in the same measurement, almost 40 cm in total skull length.”

Based on measurements of the long bones in the new skull, Manzuetti and his team were able to estimate just how big the cat truly was: Up to 436 kg. That is the weight of a grand piano."

The article give more details, a Condylobasal length of about 38 cm and a Greatest total length of about 40 cm. Is indead a very large skull, here is an image from the article:

In the next link I manage to download a text document with measurements: https://www.gbif.org/dataset/8901e0e4-c1...deebd598d2

Skull measurements: TL, 392; CBL, 379; OOL, 242; ZW, 240; RW, 119; IOW, 112; PCW, 100; GBM, 152; GBC, 83; FMB, 35; FMH, 32. Dental measurements (right side): TRL I-PM4, 168; Diast, 22; CAP, 52; CML, 24; PM3AP, 19; PM3ML, 12; PM4AP, 44; PM4ML, 18

So it seems that the real total length of the skull is of 392 mm and the condylobasal length is of 379 mm, very large for Smilodon standars.

Again, the original paper is this: An extremely large saber-tooth cat skull from Uruguay (late Pleistocene–early Holocene, Dolores Formation): body size and paleobiological implications.

Hope some one can get it and share it here.

Greetings.
5 users Like GuateGojira's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 02:06 AM by tigerluver )

PM me and I'll send a link. The skull measured 392 mm. It is the biggest skull in published records. Just haven't gotten around to a write-up.
4 users Like tigerluver's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Late Pleistocene sabertooth cats of the Americas Smilodon populator and Smilodon fatalis, both Smilodon species went extinct just about 11000 years ago  with  lot of the other megafauna.
Gabriel Ugueto art.

3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2020, 08:39 PM by epaiva )

New important information of Smilodon huge fangs @tigerluver @GuateGojira @GrizzlyClaws
Credit to @paleontologi_id

3 users Like epaiva's post

France Smilodon Offline
New Join

Very interesting topic ! 
Was Smilodon populator bigger than Machairodus horribilis ?
1 user Likes Smilodon's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

Smilodon populator long canine tooth are more for slashing rather than choking prey to death like modern days big cats do.
1 user Likes GreenGrolar's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Mendez-Alzola reported this table on S. populator skulls:

The 10-1 skull is huge, at 408.4 mm. That's larger than the recent 2020 skull. However, I cannot seem to find this larger skull referenced in the 2020 paper or their appendix. Any thoughts?
5 users Like tigerluver's post