There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(12-04-2021, 05:47 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: To my eyes, the skull Dr. Hunter is holding resembles the snow leopard skull, not the cheetah’s.
Just finished to watch the vid and yes you are absolutely right, even if we do not have bone studies that perfectly reveal the identity of the cat it seems to me 100% clear that this is the skull of a snow leopard and not a cheetah. 

It can be clearly seen how the muzzle of the skull arches slightly as it elongates instead of descending directly downwards.

Comparing them better yes, I would say that there are no more doubts in saying that the skull actually belongs to a snow leop.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I guess that this is the most common visual difference that distinguishes felines with pantherines, although I guess that some Patagonian cougar skulls might be the only exception among extant felines that may give us a little harder time in distinguishing them.

Just look how wide and robust their skulls are, the last one especially!! Powerful and amazing beasts they are .

1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-04-2021, 11:36 PM by AndresVida )

New one!

3 users Like AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Stan the Tyrannosaurus Rex compared to a man.
Estimated at 8.2 tons based on latest estimates with density equations 

A hell of a gigantic beast.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2021, 07:39 PM by GuateGojira )

Magnific posts LoveAnimals. You hit the nail with your explanations about the lies and exagerations of the Spinosaurus-fans that still think that the Jurassic Park 3 Spino-monster is still real. 

T.rex is indisputably the biggest (heaviest) carnivore dinosaur discovered at this moment. Thank for showing the evidence.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

This thread is getting derailed sometimes. I request to refrain from personal attacks. Failing to do so will result in ban or closing of this thread.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Canada DinoFan83 Offline

(12-09-2021, 10:14 AM)sanjay Wrote: This thread is getting derailed sometimes. I request to refrain from personal attacks. Failing to do so will result in ban or closing of this thread.

Thank you very much sanjay! All those personal attacks are not only unpleasant but make civil discussion impossible, so I definitely appreciate that you stepped in.

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2021, 02:09 AM by AndresVida )

@GuateGojira @johnny rex

You will find this very interesting.

Just some hours ago, Dan Folkes completed his skeletal regarding Spinosaurus Holotype (to note, Spinosaurus Holotype is an adult specimen, not a subadult like the neotype)

Standing at 1.83 meters tall at the hip, he's smaller than I previously thought (my estimate was about 2 meters tall or slightly more).
The latest estimate put it at 3.7 tons but with the new skeletal it might change a bit with a less wide torso.

To compare it, I think this is kinda of unfair regarding how small it's size is, but it's still interesting to see how the Holotypes of other theropods (not only the one shown, but others aswell such as Carch, Mapu, torvo, arco etc.) are much bigger and basically dwarf Spino holotype

There it is with Giganotosaurus Holotype, 3.7 tons vs 7.6 tons

Or tyrannosaurus Holotype CM 9380
3.7 tons vs 7.9 tons

or Sue, although a 9.7 ton vs 3.7 ton comparison is a bit unfair for the spino

4 users Like AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

New quick comparison.

Albertosaurus compared to Spinosaurus Holotype.

Alberto :
Body mass(GDI) = est. 3266 kg
Total length (along the centra) : 9 m
Hip height : est. 2.8 m

Spino:
Body mass (GDI) = est. 3700 kg
Total length (along the centra) : est. 10.3 m
Hip height : est. 1.83 m

This is not the largest Spinosaurus aegyptiacus however, do not misunderstand. 
The largest S. Aegyptiacus specimen is NHMUK and is estimated by random to be in the 13-14.3 meters long range. A giant compared to the Holotype

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2021, 05:58 PM by Luipaard )

Male leopard and male golden cat

victor_ammann
5 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Kodiak bear skull compared to coyote skull. 

United States ChadCarcharo Offline
New Join

A size chart of Msnm spinosaurus and Edmarka ( torvosaurus )

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like ChadCarcharo's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Everyone say hi to one of the most fearsome apex predators ever.

Livyatan Melvillei.
Made by me

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

The following size comparison between a Syrian brown bear and a male leopard should give you an idea of how big Persian males can get in Northern Iran:

hayat_ vahsh_mazandaran
4 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

The size of Tyrannosaurus rex, based on FHMN PR 2081 “Sue”.

The silhouette for the model of Tyrannosaurus was made by Randomdinos, which I edited and added the pattern of Tyrannosaurus depicted in Saurian game as a cool real-life interpretation.

100% made by me

5 users Like AndresVida's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 09:21 PM by GuateGojira )

(12-09-2021, 10:14 AM)sanjay Wrote: This thread is getting derailed sometimes. I request to refrain from personal attacks. Failing to do so will result in ban or closing of this thread.

The elephant in the room

I am glad that I am able to return to the forum again. After all, I did not participate in the forum for about two years (with only sporadic posts), you know, for time issues. It is not a surprise that many things changed, some people left and some people came and new information is in the air. I took the time to make this post because I think is important, especially for the moderators @peter , @tigerluver  and @sanjay , as this information will help to know what type of people is participating in the forum in these days, and I will particularly refer to the poster @DinoFan83 .

It is well known that this poster had a grudge against the T. rex for some reason, I tried to test it and I manage to confirm it when I created a post in 10-15-2020 and I received the fastest replay in my history, he replied in less than 5 minutes! However the reality and real life finally came to me and I was not able to continue with the debate and I leave it like that.

Now that I returned I saw that the section of Dinosaurs is at some point abandoned by most of the posters, although this should not surprise me as Dinosaurs has not been the strong point of Wildfact, we mostly focus on modern animals. However I see that this posters DinoFan83 is taking control of most of the post, specifically the large carnivores and despite the efforts of some posters he continue to pollute the topics with his ideas. However, the posters @JurassicDD and @"LoveAnimals" made excellent posts showing the correct information and how biased this poster is, and although I know that sometimes they are not as polite as you may want, the information that they post IS ACCURATE and supported by real Paleontologists in the field.

Now, the problem is NOT the debate, after all, debate generate the delivery of information and that is good. The problem is the attitude of this poster, he is trying to show that he is a "polite" and "informative" poster that is been attacked with no reason and personally, BUT the true is completely different.     

Based in the last warning send by the mods in this topic, LoveAnimals requested my assistance, which I offered completely, what I did not knew is the type of person that is DinoFan83, especially when he showed me some posts from Discord, showing one face here and other in that place, these are some screenshots provided by LoveAnimals, where you can see the real face of DinoFan83 and how he express about me (he is “ChocolateCake123” in the images):

As you can see, this guy is a troll searching for problems against me in the forum, and is attacking me because I try to correct him and show his true agenda here. Now, I don’t care what two or three trolls think about me, but what I don’t like is his attitude, his lies and his hypocresy, trying to show that he is a "good" person when he is not, and he is doing the same dirty tactics like Waveriders done in the past. This is the point of this post, to show how dirty is this poster, and because of his biased ideas, how wortless is his information (a good search in Wikipedia will be more "unbiased").

Now, the points of this are:

1. LoveAnimals is making an excellent job showing all the fallacies of DinoFan83 and he did not deserve to receive warnings for doing that, for the contrary, this is the type of posters that we need, people interested in dinosaurs and willing to present the correct information.

2. Dinosaurs are a part of the forum that is sometimes overlooked and that need attention. This will be very important for next year, because of the new movie of Jurassic World and many people will search information about dinosaurs, of course Wildfact will not be the exception. We are at this moment the among the best sources of information about animals in the web, practically no other forum is near to our accuracy, in this case we can´t just overlook parts of the forum, especially with this type of posters. Remember what happen with those two fanatic posters in the Megalodon topic? If I did not track them they would create a wave of misinformation.

A leave this post with the evidence provided by LoveAnimals and hope that the moderators will take this in consideration.  This issue of “lion vs tiger”, “Megalodon vs Orca” and “Spinosaurus vs T. rex” attract some of the worst people out there and these are topics that deserve immediate attention.

Greetings to all.

4 users Like GuateGojira's post