There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Rainforest Leopards

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author
big male in gabon
3 users Like Rage2277's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2018, 08:49 PM)Rage2277 Wrote:
big male in gabon
Big powerful Leopard from Gabon where you can find some of the bigger Leopards
2 users Like epaiva's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM by Shir Babr )

"A game camera set up in Lopé National Park on an elephant trail. 90 minutes after the camera is set up, a male leopard appears."
This is a very dark individual, look at the fused spots on the back of the tail.

Another individual also from Lopé National Park.

Interaction between a leopard and a group of forest elephants in Gabon.

Another male recorded during the pointless and disruptive mirror experiment.

4 users Like Shir Babr's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM by Luipaard )

Leopards from Central Africa (Gabon, Congo Basin,...) seem to grow larger than those who live in the savannah. I like to compare them with Pantanal jaguars, who also grow much larger than any other jaguar specie (Mexican jaguars average only 50kg instead of the 100kg average Pantanal jaguar).

Some examples;

Male from Congo (most likely captive)

Another one from Congo (enormous skull)

Leopard hunted by natives 

In comparison with a jaguar:

Big male from Gabon, very stocky male

5 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I doubt they grow larger than their cousins to the east, in fact I'd guess they are probably smaller due to the smaller prey base available. I'd also guess that they dont carry prey up trees as often since they dont have as many competitors to worry about as well which would also contribute to a smaller leopard, but some do look very impressive overall though.

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

A gabon leopard swimming 

Unknown photographer.

Some males 

Source : https://www.zooniverse.org/users/LukasT/collections

7 users Like Lycaon's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

MASSIVE male leopard from Gabon (link)

Very robust male, doesn't look less muscular than a jaguar.

4 users Like Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

They really have a lot in common with jaguars. Here are some examples.

Enormous skull:

Robust and densely packed muscles:

Compare these with the African savannah leopards (who are more slender) and you'll see what I mean.
2 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-02-2019, 06:38 PM)Luipaard Wrote: They really have a lot in common with jaguars. Here are some examples.

Enormous skull:

Compare these with the African savannah leopards (who are more slender) and you'll see what I mean.

Camera trap photo's are very different than videos and images taken in person. While some of these Leopards do look very muscular, I've seen there equals in Savannah leopards as well and on the flip side, rainforest leopards dont get the large neck flap nor look as large in frame. 
People say the same about Sri Lanken Leopards but speaking with people who've seen both, that's not the case.
But I agree that these leopards are very impressive regardless, so anything is possible.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(03-02-2019, 06:50 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 06:38 PM)Luipaard Wrote: They really have a lot in common with jaguars. Here are some examples.

Enormous skull:

Camera trap photo's are very different than videos and images taken in person. While some of these Leopards do look very muscular, I've seen there equals in Savannah leopards as well and on the flip side, rainforest leopards dont get the large neck flap nor look as large in frame. 
People say the same about Sri Lanken Leopards but speaking with people who've seen both, that's not the case.
But I agree that these leopards are very impressive regardless, so anything is possible.

Well that's exactly my point, leopards from the savannah look larger becouse they seem taller to me, same as Sri Lankan leopards; they do look large but are clearly not robust like the Central African leopards. 

They're differently built imo.

Let's do a little comparison with the Anderson male leopard (pretty much one of the biggest leopards in Sabi Sands) and a male from Gabon.

The male from Gabon looks more robust to me. Anderson probably dwarfs him in terms of height but that's about it. Also you're right about the dewlap (= neck flap).
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

More males from Gabon

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Size comparison of a male leopard and gorilla (Gabon)

1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM by Luipaard )

Impressive male

Another male, very impressive skull size

Yet another male, again huge skull size

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

90% sure that this is a female. Less muscular but nice skull size

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

According to Pocock a well reputed expert on leopards and other cats the largest leopards in Africa were from Algeria, Upper Congo/Southern Sudan, and the coastal forests of West Africa. This was primarily based on skull measurements and while I don't know of any measurements for the Algerian leopard those from coastal West Africa and Upper Congo are indeed very impressive approaching the Pantanal jaguars in skull length. 

The average skull length of 7 mature male leopards from North Eastern Congo (DRC) was 261mm including two at 279mm and 282mm. Even more impressive a sample of 3 male leopard skulls from the coast of Gabon had an average length of 274mm with the largest at 282mm. While the Gabon sample is small and thus may not be reflective of the true average it is impressive nonetheless that such large skulls are present despite a very limited sample. For comparison the average skull length of 17 adult male jaguars from Venezuela was 282.2mm and 12 from the Mato Grasso area of Brazil averaged 282mm. On the other hand, the East African plains leopard or the Southern African leopard which we are used to seeing have an average skull length of about 230mm and only exceptional males reach 260mm.

Leopards from the Atlantic equatorial forests of Africa are probably very large based on skull measurements (near jaguar sized skulls). The Loango NP region of Gabon is said to be a pristine area with undisturbed wildlife and is home to a large population of this type of leopard. People suspect male leopards from this region to be around 70kgs on average. Thus leopards in parts of equatorial Africa reach skull lengths of around 280mm with some regularity which is about the same as an average male jaguar of the largest types. It is not at all farfetched to hypothesize that such large skulled leopards will weigh 200lbs or more given that a jaguar with an equal skull length weighs around 220lbs. This is further substantiated by the fact that these forest leopards have particularly stocky, jaguar-like builds based on the few available photographs.

Leopards from parts of equatorial Africa can obtain based on the above data it would be perfectly sound to suggest he weighed around 200lb. Although large skulls may not necessary reflect a correspondingly large body size, skull size is considered a reliable indicator of size by scientists. The reason why these equatorial forest leopards are so large is probably due to the absence or scarcity of lions in the region combined with the abundance of prey. Keep in mind however that not the entire Congo rainforest has such large leopards but specifically the north eastern part and certain coastal parts where the forest supports more prey. The leopards from the central Congo rainforest have an average skull length intermediate between the large forest leopard types and those from the East and Southern African bush.

All data comes from Pocock’s The Leopards of Africa (1932)J.A. Allen’s “Carnivora Collected by American Museum Congo Expedition” (leopard) and Notes on the biology and status of the jaguar in Venezuela” by Mondolfi and Hoogesteijn 1986.