There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for the board

jordi6927 Offline

Which Majingilane do you think sired Sassy and Prince Othawa? And is there definitive proof with video / photos? Thanks
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

There in no any prove, any of the Majingilanes mated with Othawa females and any of them could be the father to Nguvu and Sassy. I think Scar Nose male is the most likely to sire them as he has by far most similaritys with Othawa male in terms of the look.
4 users Like Potato's post

jordi6927 Offline

(04-30-2020, 04:53 PM)Potato Wrote: There in no any prove, any of the Majingilanes mated with Othawa females and any of them could be the father to Nguvu and Sassy. I think Scar Nose male is the most likely to sire them as he has by far most similaritys with Othawa male in terms of the look.

Well at that time Hip Scar wasn't very mobile and he was staying with the Othawa Pride while the other boys were out chasing the Matimbas around. There are many many photos where Prince looks like Hip Scar so that is debatable.
3 users Like jordi6927's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-30-2020, 09:12 PM)jordi6927 Wrote: Well at that time Hip Scar wasn't very mobile and he was staying with the Othawa Pride while the other boys were out chasing the Matimbas around. There are many many photos where Prince looks like Hip Scar so that is debatable

As Potato says, in multiple male coalition, all males mate with the same lioness and its belived that in some cases genes are transfered from multiple fathers.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"in some cases genes are transfered from multiple fathers"

Wat? All males from coalitions are mating with females and so all are potential fathers, but only one of them is the real father. It is the only one who in the end transfer his gene pole further. 
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-01-2020, 12:20 AM)Potato Wrote: "in some cases genes are transfered from multiple fathers"

Wat? All males from coalitions are mating with females and so all are potential fathers, but only one of them is the real father. It is the only one who in the end transfer his gene pole further

I said " its belived in some cases", i've heard multiple guides talking about that, but ofcourse is just a speculation, not proven.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Of course it is not proven as it is biologically impossible. It proven that there is always one father no matter how many potential fathers are. That is why paternity test works. 
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 01:08 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-01-2020, 12:43 AM)Potato Wrote: Of course it is not proven as it is biologically impossible. It proven that there is always one father no matter how many potential fathers are. That is why paternity test works. 

Just google it. 

It is possible, its called "Chimera" and its not that rare in cats.

*This image is copyright of its original author

But its hard to tell if some lions have this because the same hair color, so based on this home cats examples they assume its prob the same with lions. And it says that in some cases this can be completely unnoticeable. 

Those rangers prob know what they are talking about.

jordi6927 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 09:27 AM by jordi6927 )

(04-30-2020, 09:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 09:12 PM)jordi6927 Wrote: Well at that time Hip Scar wasn't very mobile and he was staying with the Othawa Pride while the other boys were out chasing the Matimbas around. There are many many photos where Prince looks like Hip Scar so that is debatable

As Potato says, in multiple male coalition, all males mate with the same lioness and its belived that in some cases genes are transfered from multiple fathers.

Just to be clear, you are saying sperm from two different lions can fertilize one egg in the lion kingdom? I know you said chimera in cats but a lion is genetically different so Im just taking a guess but I would say the chances have to be different then.

Also … Im sticking with Hip Scar as he was with the Othawa Pride girls more during the time when they should have been made … I just would like to find some video of that time … I have found some but I cant find the holy grail video.
2 users Like jordi6927's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 12:39 PM by Rishi )

Guys, after this query is resolved this thread may be merged with the Ask & Tag: General Queries Posting Thread. Please subscribe to that thread so that if someone asks a question, a notification comes to you.

(05-01-2020, 12:56 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Just google it. 

It is possible, its called "Chimera" and its not that rare in cats.

*This image is copyright of its original author

But its hard to tell if some lions have this because the same hair color, so based on this home cats examples they assume its prob the same with lions. And it says that in some cases this can be completely unnoticeable. 

Those rangers prob know what they are talking about.

That's the most fascinating things I have learnt in a while! TFS

(05-01-2020, 08:55 AM)239Pu Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 09:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: in multiple male coalition, all males mate with the same lioness

is this true ? why is there a fight for mating rights then ? I thought a pair stays together mating every 20min for days , and the male won't let her out of his sight , growling at or fighting any male who comes near

Well those rules are not carved in stone. The males often don't want to share mating privilege (that too varies with personality), but just as often you will find videos of multiple lions mating together with one female... Especially if neither of the brothers is too dominant over the other/s.

4 users Like Rishi's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-01-2020, 09:17 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: Just to be clear, you are saying sperm from two different lions can fertilize one egg in the lion kingdom? I know you said chimera in cats but a lion is genetically different so Im just taking a guess but I would say the chances have to be different then.

Also … Im sticking with Hip Scar as he was with the Othawa Pride girls more during the time when they should have been made … I just would like to find some video of that time … I have found some but I cant find the holy grail video.

Lions and home cats shared 95.6 % the same DNA, they are genetically very similar.

Cases of chimera was found in humans too and other mammals, so i dont think that chimera in home cats and lions is any different.

Lets be clear, im not saying that Othawa male is chimera lion, im just saying that it is possible in lions world just as it is in home cats.

Its irelevant if HS did spent more time with Othawas or not, its very likely that all 4 Majingilanes mate with that lioness.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-01-2020, 08:55 AM)239Pu Wrote: is this true ? why is there a fight for mating rights then ? I thought a pair stays together mating every 20min for days , and the male won't let her out of his sight , growling at or fighting any male who comes near

Yes it is true, unless some male is not around at the time when she is in estrus or something. 

They are fighting for mating rights to see who will mate first, second, etc and to show dominance and strenght in front of lioness. As you said 1 male can mate for few days and it that time he will not alove other males close, but when hes done, he leave that lioness to his partners and so on. Lionesses will mate with all members of coalition so that all of them think that they are the fathers of those cubs and will defend them, if not so, even in coalition some members can kill his partners cubs if he knows hes not the father (Mr. T killing cubs of his brothers for example).
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Blondemane Offline

I think he is very similar to Hip Scar, its just my opinion.
1 user Likes Blondemane's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-01-2020, 09:17 AM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 09:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Just to be clear, you are saying sperm from two different lions can fertilize one egg in the lion kingdom? I know you said chimera in cats but a lion is genetically different so Im just taking a guess but I would say the chances have to be different then.

You should check this plalist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLLkJbMHt1boYZ5QO4Y-I6Z4KGNbYpeU4

there you will find just about all videos of Majingilanes with Othawa pride.
2 users Like Potato's post

239Pu Offline

I propose removing the partiton between IMPORTANT THREADS and NORMAL THREADS . it seems arbitrary calling LIONS OF TIMBIVATI importand but not LIONS OF MANYELETI , or why LION PREDATION and MODERN WEIGHTS OF LIONS are important at all , and its much like having two different Lion forums to check for new posts