There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prides of the Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-14-2024, 02:03 AM by BigLion39 )

(01-27-2024, 03:22 AM)lionuk Wrote: Oloibor and Manywele

I'm not so sure Black Rock Pride has pride males. I think Oloboirr and Manywele control another pride over there. The last reports were back 2022 when 3 Topi Boys were in that area. Ill see if I can find out.

Edit... my mistake i guess they are still with Black Rock Pride. I really could have sworn they exfilled the area. They have grown, dispersed sons from BRB pride.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

Not a recent sighting
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2914775812...tid=Nif5oz
2 users Like Redroadmale's post

BigLion39 Offline

(02-23-2024, 04:02 PM)Redroadmale Wrote: Not a recent sighting
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2914775812...tid=Nif5oz

Fig Tree Pride has vacated their traditional territory as it is overrun with livestock. Theyve lost their young sister/cousins, Kaka/Maridadi daughter from the spear, then Olbarikoi by spear so they've went for safety. Hope the young males are still alive and well, sons of Offbeat Boys.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwk85 Offline

Another case of a lion being speared. This time it was Dada of the Marsh Pride.

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Mwk85's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 05:35 AM by T_Ferguson )

It's terrible and very sad, but the Masai Mara is now Cattle lands.  This is going to continue to happen until all of the wildlife that competes with Cattle are destroyed.  There is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it now.

I am not sure how you are going to cooperate with the inhabitants here. If you concede some lands today, they will just take more lands in a few months. The corruption within governments all around the world are simply too deep. The mindset of people in these regions are not like ours. Would you allow rats to live in your home because they were there first? You wouldn't... this is exactly the same thing. If you've ever traveled to these regions animals are just seen differently. They are seen like Pit Bulls in the south. If they tear each other apart or live in horrible conditions that's what they are there for.

I just don't know how you change centuries of mindset, or expect a people to not advance into the world the West has created.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

BigLion39 Offline

(03-05-2024, 05:29 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Another case of a lion being speared. This time it was Dada of the Marsh Pride.

Dada.....................  AGAIN!    

She was speared and treated just last Nov 2023. Unreal. The Reserve is a cesspool. The future there is garbage.... poor animals. In the next short decade the Mara Triangle and certain conservancies will be the only safe place. Thankfully the info I recieved about the Triangle is the administration and people that run it are honestly good people and run a tight ship. Nothing like the Reserve. 

Disgusting, these people will kill any animal. Absolutely trash people who perpetrate these crimes.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

(03-05-2024, 05:31 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's terrible and very sad, but the Masai Mara is now Cattle lands.  This is going to continue to happen until all of the wildlife that competes with Cattle are destroyed.  There is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it now.

I am not sure how you are going to cooperate with the inhabitants here.  If you concede some lands today, they will just take more lands in a few months.  The corruption within governments all around the world are simply too deep.  The mindset of people in these regions are not like ours.  Would you allow rats to live in your home because they were there first?  You wouldn't... this is exactly the same thing.  If you've ever traveled to these regions animals are just seen differently.  They are seen like Pit Bulls in the south.  If they tear each other apart or live in horrible conditions that's what they are there for.

Agree my friend, so very true. The Reserve is doomed. The Triangle will be a safe haven for the animals in the future than God, as long as the people that run the Triangle continue to run it like today. Most of the Conservancies will be for the most part safe. They will change back and forth as they are privately owned land and the land owners have final say there but the animals should mostly be ok there. The Reserce is and will be a cesspool. They are planning to raise prices substantially there for tourism and push out all the smaller, great lodges. They want to cater to the wealthy and from what I gather the rich people are content with seeing the "big 5" and not so much lion and big cat enthusiasts so this will hurt lions in the end. I don't like the vision for the Reserve of the future.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwk85 Offline

Summer, oldest lioness of the Topi Pride has been killed by herders. I've seen two different scenarios put out on what happened, first one is that she and another lioness killed two cows in a boma and Summer was speared to death within said boma, the other is that she was killed in the reserve and her body was put inside the boma as a way to justify the killing. Obviously I can't say which one is correct and which isn't, but it's still a sad situation either way. Summer (2008-2024)

2 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

Devastated.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

BigLion39 Offline

Horrible. Summer, 1/4 seasons, she and her 3 sisters, daughters of famous Marsh males Clawed/Romeo/Red left the Marsh and formed the now famous Topi Plains pride. 

I have nothing but disgust. I now avoid checking for updates in the Mara.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Friarfan619 Offline

(03-10-2024, 11:50 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Horrible. Summer, 1/4 seasons, she and her 3 sisters, daughters of famous Marsh males Clawed/Romeo/Red left the Marsh and formed the now famous Topi Plains pride. 

Crazy just saw a video that says those males killed notchs brother
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

BigLion39 Offline

(03-10-2024, 12:06 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Crazy just saw a video that says those males killed notchs brother

Yes they killed Light Mane. Nobody knows for sure if Light Mane and N1 were actually brothers/cousins. Jonathon Scott says they might have been unrelated how many coalitions are. Long and Grimmace were probably sons of Light Mane.

Scientists were doing experiments with loud speakers playing lion roars in the night in the Marsh pride territory. The 3 then Paradise Pride males Clawed, Romeo, and Red (Pavarotti) responded to the roars on speaker and showed up, ended up killing Light Mane. N1 escaped. 3 Paradise males left and went back to their pride.  N1 continued to control the Marsh for a year or 2 more by himself and then the rest is history when the 3 Paradise males came back in 2008. This is story Jonathon Scot has told. Its in his book and he also told it in 2020 during lockdown.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

N1 and Lm share to much similarities to not be brother/cousins
1 user Likes Redroadmale's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-10-2024, 11:50 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Horrible. Summer, 1/4 seasons, she and her 3 sisters, daughters of famous Marsh males Clawed/Romeo/Red left the Marsh and formed the now famous Topi Plains pride. 

I hate that things have reached this point, as I know how much the Mara means to you, and how knowledgeable you are about it. Really sad, on so many levels, honestly.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline

(03-10-2024, 04:38 PM)Redroadmale Wrote: N1 and Lm share to much similarities to not be brother/cousins
They didn't show so much similarities to each other so they should have been only coalition partners rather than relatives. Here is this old but famous scene of BBC's Big Cat Diaries series from 2004 - when they were trying to take over Marsh pride for the first time from Simba - which i think proves it. They were so different looking males especially of their manes with which Notch had had a slightly larger and darker than his absolutely light maned mate (where he inherited his name from) although he must have been much younger than Notch and their large robust bodies also showed some similarities.

At least we know where Grimace and Mighty Long inherited their large sized bodies from.
Unfortunately we couldn't see Light Mane as a fully grown male lion after the 3 Paradise boys killed him in mid 2005 - right after their 5 sons in a totally of 8 cubs' group borned - but Notch could maintain his pride for almost another 2.5 years until late 2007 when they finally chased him off and the boys were more than 2/almost 3 years old.

Here is another old video of their 3 opponents - Romeo, Clawed and Pavarotti - after they have taken over Marsh Pride from Notch sometime in the second half of 2000's and when they still were a 3 males coalition before Pavarotti's demise.

3 users Like Lipstick2's post