There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plains Camp males

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 06:33 AM by criollo2mil )

Video taken on 1 January.   If I’m not mistaken, this is either the morning after?   Maybe the morning of?   I forget.

Anyways.  No injuries to speak of nor limps.

Credit:  The Pig Family 

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(01-06-2023, 09:52 PM)afortich Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 05:10 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Gingerella wasn’t in the mood…..looks like Makhunga wants to change her mind.

I hope Gingerella doesn't get hurt because these boys are not easy.

Yikes he certainly didn't like the aggression shown towards his brother. I have to admit though it looks so impressive when you see a huge male lion running at full speed.
4 users Like 1999gc8's post

Contributor

(01-07-2023, 03:43 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 05:10 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Gingerella wasn’t in the mood…..looks like Makhunga wants to change her mind.

Yikes he certainly didn't like the aggression shown towards his brother. I have to admit though it looks so impressive when you see a huge male lion running at full speed.

Yes.   I always marvel at how these large males can bear down on younger lions as if they’re standing still at times.   To move such huge bodies with that speed and power is absolutely impressive

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think the conflict occured around 1 or the early hours of 2 January. So most likely before.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

(01-07-2023, 03:55 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think the conflict occured around 1 or the early hours of 2 January. So most likely before.

Yeah.  I re-checked.   Stu’s Story was posted on Monday 2 January saying the Birminghams were roaring loudly in the night.   Then he found those traces of conflict that day.  

So all of these video were from up to that day prior.

The guest is here for a week so she will likely have more posts soon if her 3rd and 4ths days

Attached Files Image(s)

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

That's a strong reaction, most males would just passively watch. That PC male would have charged even a couple of grown male lions with the same intensity given that reaction. 

Btw, I don't agree with the whole she wasn't in the "mood" narrative that gets thrown around when males attack a female. Lions don't mate for pleasure, only a handful of species including humans engage in that. Lions do get aggressive with females over dominance, they'll kill a female for defending a takeover too hard but that's not because she won't mate with them. If anything, you can see a rudimentary concept of consent within lion behavior that requires cooperation from both parties during mating. You'll see males get aggressive toward their brothers when they try to get near a lioness that's "taken" but then go right back to patiently courting the female without any aggression.
3 users Like sik94's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(01-07-2023, 04:47 AM)sik94 Wrote:

That's a strong reaction, most males would just passively watch. That PC male would have charged even a couple of grown male lions with the same intensity given that reaction. 

Btw, I don't agree with the whole she wasn't in the "mood" narrative that gets thrown around when males attack a female. Lions don't mate for pleasure, only a handful of species including humans engage in that. Lions do get aggressive with females over dominance, they'll kill a female for defending a takeover too hard but that's not because she won't mate with them. If anything, you can see a rudimentary concept of consent within lion behavior that requires cooperation from both parties during mating. You'll see males get aggressive toward their brothers when they try to get near a lioness that's "taken" but then go right back to patiently courting the female without any aggression.

I agree with you @sik94 bro. The PC boys appear to be more aggressive towards females compared to most of the other lions I've been following.
2 users Like afortich's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think most species mate or seek sex for the act of pleasure. Its how the mating instinct drives them to copulation.
Especially in males. Afteral. Its not like they are even aware of the connection between mating and cubs etc.
Its a very powerfull instinct. So sadly a lot a lot of intraspecies violence is caused by attempts to force or resist mating. 

That being said. A lot of people like to project sexual narrations on these sorts of events to process our species own obsession on the matter.
In reality Gingerella was more likely just venting frustration where she really shouldn't. And the PCMales are still on edge. They are likely in the middle of a take over after all.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

For context and clarity:

The puncture I circled on Makhunga earlier was already there prior to the events in question.   

Here is a close up from the video filmed on 1 January.

Attached Files Image(s)

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(01-07-2023, 02:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As western sector is well covered,
Other area it could travel is Londolozi. Is Londolozi presently well covered and reported during this holiday season?
2 users Like Horizon's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 07:14 AM by afortich )

(01-07-2023, 06:15 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: For context and clarity:

The puncture I circled on Makhunga earlier was already there prior to the events in question.   

Here is a close up from the video filmed on 1 January.

Nice job on the pic bro. Then, the circled puncture can be disregarded so far.
3 users Like afortich's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(01-07-2023, 05:29 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think most species mate or seek sex for the act of pleasure. Its how the mating instinct drives them to copulation.

I don't think it's true for most species to necessarily derive pleasure from mating. It's instinctual for most species including lions, in so many species mating is a suicide mission for the male pretty much but they still do it. The mating instinct isn't driven through pleasure, sure the act might may or may not be pleasurable but that changes specie by specie. Lionesses literally feel pain during mating since male lions have barbed penises but the instinct to mate trumps it.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(01-07-2023, 07:51 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 05:29 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think most species mate or seek sex for the act of pleasure. Its how the mating instinct drives them to copulation.

I don't think it's true for most species to necessarily derive pleasure from mating. It's instinctual for most species including lions, in so many species mating is a suicide mission for the male pretty much but they still do it. The mating instinct isn't driven through pleasure, sure the act might may or may not be pleasurable but that changes specie by specie. Lionesses literally feel pain during mating since male lions have barbed penises but the instinct to mate trumps it.
Instincts work through emotions. If they are met we feel relieved happy and pleasure and such. If they are not, we grow, scared frustrated, angry or depressed.

Ultimately every living being strives to be happy. And sexual gratification makes us feel very happy. Even if it comes with a bit of pain.

(01-07-2023, 06:56 AM)Horizon Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 02:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As western sector is well covered,
Other area it could travel is Londolozi. Is Londolozi presently well covered and reported during this holiday season?

New Year is Londolozis biggest event. So they probably are very active now. Though being busy probably also makes them less avle to go out and look for a lion that most Likely aint there. 

However neither Londolozi or Western Sector is covered enough to guarantee a sighting every couple of days of nomadic animals. Its also been a while since we last saw the Othawa subs. Nym and Skorro. Outside perhaps the confusion of those two seen together.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Is that the ulusaba airstrip they were walking down with the ximhungwes? Can't find any other tarred strips in the west

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 03:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-07-2023, 05:27 AM)afortich Wrote: I agree with you @sik94 bro. The PC boys appear to be more aggressive towards females compared to most of the other lions I've been following.

Based of this 1 video? I think sample is too small. 

Did they even meet Gingerella before? I remember them be in company of Ximhungwe before, but I cant remember if they where with Gingerella aswell.

Gingerella is also a young female, and fairly inexperienced around males, prob also confused about this constant changes between the males and she is prob not sure what to do. 

Her grumpines and attack towards PC male was prob not the best idea, which triggered them to attack her, which is normal, as they want submission from her.

Gingerella/Ximhungwe where not exactly under their control so far, they are seen hanging with multiple males, so in a scenario like this, its normal that there is a bit of aggression between females and males.

I disagree that based of this video we should label PC males as being "unusually" more agressive towards females.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post