There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States T_Ferguson Online

OH No... Lorkulup... Not you... He is literally the definition of a stay at home dad!!  That would spell a severe disaster for the Rongai.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

This is heartbreaking.  If he's been 24 hours and still no looks from the vets, this likely doesn't have a happy ending.

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-27-2024, 08:46 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: This is heartbreaking.  If he's been 24 hours and still no looks from the vets, this likely doesn't have a happy ending.

They said Junior had anthrax, which I didn't have any idea that anthrax could make your face swell like that. Before they said it was anthrax, a lot of people were opining it might be a snake bite, or an infected/impacted tooth. So, hopefully they can get to him and get it figured out before things get any worse. Surprising, being he's in the Mara, that they haven't gotten to him yet.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2024, 10:20 PM by KM600 )

Didn’t want to say this before just incase the worst was to happen, still might be too early tbh, but he seemed quite healthy minus the swelling. Normally when u see a lion like this, they’re really not moving around much and u just think it’s only a matter of time before they pass. Never got this feeling with Lorkulup. 

2 users Like KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I agree, he doesnt seem to be to bothered by it. So we shall see how it goes. 

I don't see why the Vets needs to be called though. There is no reason to suspect human activity is to blame for this.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

(05-27-2024, 10:50 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I agree, he doesnt seem to be to bothered by it. So we shall see how it goes. 

I don't see why the Vets needs to be called though. There is no reason to suspect human activity is to blame for this.

My understanding is that Kenya does different than Kruger.   They have different rules of engagement.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Super Moderator

(05-27-2024, 10:50 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I agree, he doesnt seem to be to bothered by it. So we shall see how it goes. 

As @T_Ferguson stated, they practice veterinary intervention in the Mara, human caused or otherwise.

Super Moderator

(05-27-2024, 10:15 PM)KM600 Wrote: Didn’t want to say this before just incase the worst was to happen, still might be too early tbh, but he seemed quite healthy minus the swelling. Normally when u see a lion like this, they’re really not moving around much and u just think it’s only a matter of time before they pass. Never got this feeling with Lorkulup. 

Yeah, he was behaving normally, except for his incredibly swollen face. When it happened to Junior, he laid under a tree, and I am not sure he moved again after that.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Was just wondering, as it was reported that Oloimina stayed by Lorkulups side the entire time, what do vets do in that scenario? Do they just drive off the lion(s) that don’t need their help. 

That really does show the strength in their bond too. One that lasts a lifetime.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Super Moderator

(05-28-2024, 04:36 PM)KM600 Wrote: Was just wondering, as it was reported that Oloimina stayed by Lorkulups side the entire time, what do vets do in that scenario? Do they just drive off the lion(s) that don’t need their help. 

That really does show the strength in their bond too. One that lasts a lifetime.

That would be my guess, how they would accomplish this, and how far away they make him go, I have no idea. Hopefully we'll hear from someone more in the know on the Mara than I.

Mwk85 Offline

Lorkulup update. They darted him with some anti-inflammatory medicine not a sedative. Facial swelling appears to have decreased some, belief is that it was snake bite, Oloimina was nearby during this and Lorkulup joined back up with him afterwards.

3 users Like Mwk85's post

Super Moderator

(05-28-2024, 07:08 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Lorkulup update. They darted him with some anti-inflammatory medicine not a sedative. Facial swelling appears to have decreased some, belief is that it was snake bite, Oloimina was nearby during this and Lorkulup joined back up with him afterwards.

Makes more sense, thank you for the update!

(05-28-2024, 07:32 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 07:08 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Lorkulup update. They darted him with some anti-inflammatory medicine not a sedative. Facial swelling appears to have decreased some, belief is that it was snake bite, Oloimina was nearby during this and Lorkulup joined back up with him afterwards.

Tough SOB if it was a snake bite and he survives... or it was a juvenile snake?
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Super Moderator

(05-28-2024, 09:12 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 07:32 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Tough SOB if it was a snake bite and he survives... or it was a juvenile snake?

Growing up around the swamps and marshes of Florida, I have had and seen several dogs get bitten by rattlesnakes, moccasins, etc... and rarely does it kill them. I am not sure if the venom affects them the same way (I can't see why it wouldn't), but I have also known people who lost fingers, a hand, and one kid who died as the result of a diamondback bite. I think I'll just go along with lions being ultra tough.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Nice!!!