There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline

@pintobean....

Yes as of around June/July 2021 he was photographed in excellent shape over by the Serenghetti border chasing a female! The pic should be in this thread a page or 2 behind this.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

One of Black Rock males

9 users Like Mdz123's post

BigLion39 Offline

^^^ Oloshipa^^^

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The wonderful Fig Tree males Kaka & Maridadi

7 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Impressive Olope/Frank2

6 users Like Mdz123's post

BigLion39 Offline

Finally 1 of the Rekero's, Ron2, has been sighted! Up in Sienna Conservancy looking in good health!  Waiting on some communication with people over there to see if Cesar2 and Green Eyes were also around.  Fingers crossed!

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like BigLion39's post

DE_66 Offline

(01-02-2022, 09:58 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Interesting history on Loonkito, the now 18 year old wild lion. I actually posted the incredibly brutal fight that is shown in this video, but at the time I was not aware of who the two males were. From my understanding a fight with the outsider male killed Loonkito's brother, and Loonkito finished the fight, in what is likely the most brutal lion fight I have seen. What a legend Loonkito is, however, as the video points out, there is a real downside to having a male with such longevity, and that is the harm inflicted on the gene pool, since he is now mating with his daughters and granddaughters.

A few questions and observations:
1.  This is an amazing encounter.  How often do lions fight to death in a one vs one battle?  I'm sure it happens more than we know, but most lions that die in battle are outnumbered.
2.  The real badass was the intruder.  He mortally wounded one lion, then immediately fought another to a standstill?!!!???  I wonder if he survived.  Loonkito's face didn't look as bad as a I expected.  How did he not lose an eye?!?
3.  Loonkito's teeth are in much better shape than you would expect for such an old lion.   I've seen 10-year-old lions with worse K9s.
4.  The one lion they showed mating wasn't that old so he must have been a son or grandson.  Is he not kicking them out?  There had to have been quite a few over the years.  Bro/sis mating is actually much, much worse than father/daughter or grandfather/granddaughter.  Inbreeding is bad for the gene pool, but I know a lot of dog breeders in the US do it.  They call it line breeding.  Especially during the creation of a new breed, they keep breeding back to the best specimen.  It happens in horse breeding as well, but not nearly as closely related.  He has good genes if he's survived this long and is still in good shape for his age.  I just hope he's not passing on some small defect that will compound and catch up to them down the line à la Ngorongoro Crater Lions.
1 user Likes DE_66's post

DE_66 Offline

Are the Black Rock Males closely related to the Bila Shakas?  So many pictures I see of them remind me of the Bila Shakas when they were a little younger.  

BigLion39 Offline

Nope as far as I know they are not related. The 6 Pack aka Bila Shaka boys are not related to the Black Rock Boys. Black Rockers were sired by the old Black Rock Boys in the "Black Rock Pride". The 6 Packers were sired by the 2 old Legends, Lolparpit and Olbarnoti who in that time were pride males of the Moniko pride. Totally unrelated.

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Hi everyone, I had a quick question I hope someone might be able to answer. Recently saw a video of Spear Boy, a beautiful male with an all but useless back leg due to a human inflicted spear injury. Since he is in the Mara, and I am aware they practice vet intervention especially when human causation is involved, have they tried to provide such assistance to this male?
2 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 11:45 AM by BigLion39 )

Yes they have many times helped Spearboy. Theres nothing more they can do for him. That back hip injury was actually inflicted by the 4 Hammerkop boys, currently Kisinja pride males; Hailie(rip), Mdogo, Osidai, and Loki when they caught him back when he was a sub adult after the spearing and he lost all his mane. He's such an awesome lion! A true warrior and survivor. 
There's  a video, approx 20-30 mins long, of this encounter where Spearboy was trying to join the then 4 male coalition, which obviously didn't come out good for Spearboy!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-03-2022, 11:43 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yes they have many times helped Spearboy. Theres nothing more they can do for him. That back hip injury was actually inflicted by the 4 Hammerkop boys, currently Kisinja pride males; Hailie(rip), Mdogo, Osidai, and Loki when they caught him back when he was a sub adult after the spearing and he lost all his mane. He's such an awesome lion! A true warrior and survivor. 
There's  a video, approx 20-30 mins long, of this encounter where Spearboy was trying to join the then 4 male coalition, which obviously didn't come out good for Spearboy!

Thank you @BigLion39. I have actually seen the video you are referring to, it is a very fascinating thing to watch, unfortunate how it turned out for him, he has had a truly rough go of it, and continues to persevere. Cheers my friend!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 02:50 PM by Mabingilane )

Looks like the 4 Ex- Offbeat Males Oronkai, Ntui, Saruni & Osidai have chased off Olerai & Olekiti from the Core Cheli Pride and are now taking it over. The females with young cubs are hiding. Poor Olerai & Olekiti lost Offbeat pride to the 5 Enkoyonai Boys. Apparently, these 4 Ex-Offbeat males also went there and chased the 5 Enkoyonai boys in an attempt to take that pride over once again too!! They even went to Lemek Conservancy trying to take Lamek pride But Olerai And Olekiti's 5 HUUUGE sons rule that area and one of them, Lemurt chased 3 of the intruders away.
Interesting times.

* 4 Ex-offbeat males - Sons of Lolparpit and Olbarnoti from Isiketa pride in 2014. Currently rule Serian Pride (Cheli Breakaway) and are trying to expand.

* 5 Enkoyonai Males - Sons of Lolparpit & Olbarnoti from Enkoyonai Pride in Late 2016 - 2018. Currently rule Offbeat pride.
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

BigLion39 Offline

Saruni, Oronkai, Osiai, and Ntui need to stick around and raise their Cubs old enough to be successful and survive, spread their genes. Unfortunately they have not been too good at that, same goes for the 5/6 Bila Shaka boys (exception for Doa), they keep moving from pride to pride leaving their offspring with only the lionesses to fend off other males. Lolparpit and Olbarnoti were complete opposite and raised many Cubs to successful adults.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

(04-05-2022, 01:28 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Saruni, Oronkai, Osiai, and Ntui need to stick around and raise their Cubs old enough to be successful and survive, spread their genes. Unfortunately they have not been too good at that, same goes for the 5/6 Bila Shaka boys (exception for Doa), they keep moving from pride to pride leaving their offspring with only the lionesses to fend off other males. Lolparpit and Olbarnoti were complete opposite and raised many Cubs to successful adults.

Very true. They have not done a very good job tbh and keep trying to expand without having a stable bloodline first. Even the 5 young Sankai males are doing better and they are still rather young. 
 Bilashaka males should stay in the Mara triangle and raise those cubs there. Doa is an incredible father for sure.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post