There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Othawa Pride

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-31-2022, 10:00 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 11:47 PM)afortich Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 10:08 PM)东方琳琅STD Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 09:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 06:02 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I’m at a lost for words.   This is so crushing and devastating for me to see.   I may need a break away soon Sad

My friend, I know how you feel, believe me, there have been many that have gotten to me, Othawa Male among so many others. I liken it to my current situation. I have an elderly dog, a large breed who has a 10-12 year life expectancy. He'll be 12 in December, and I have had him since he was a little pup, he and I bonded and became best of buds almost on day one. That has continued non-stop. Well, he now has arthritis, and just two Sundays ago he suffered a total rupture of his rear leg knee ligament for which we are awaiting a custom brace to be fabricated. Watching him struggle to get around, having to help him get up at times, has been a most difficult period for us. He's still mentally strong, often resisting our attempts to help him, but that day is drawing nearer by the day, and when it happens it will be soul crushing for me. He has never seen it, and hopefully he won't, I do my utter best to not let him see it, but it is really hard. It will take some time, but it won't stop me from eventually getting another dog, because I am not doing this for me, but for them.

I mention this story, only to draw the parallel that if we were not here to learn of the incredible feats of these beautiful creatures, then who would? Their stories, victories and defeats, would remain unknown, and there would be nobody to share their tales with others.

Well said!!
@criollo2mil, you're one of the greatest assets to this forum together with others. All I can say is that always remember that death is an inevitable part of the Life cycle. It's very sad but all we can do is to wish for the best to happen to Sassy and cubs but also be ready for the worst.

Thank you for the kind words.   It’s just been a very tough year.   Seems unrelenting with losses and sadness.   I know it comes w the territory.  But it’s still hard to watch

I had just recently been telling my wife how crazy 2022 has been in the lion world, so much turmoil, seemingly everywhere you look. It has gotten to where just about every time I open the site, I am wondering what has happened to which pride/coalition. I would imagine that such turmoil has happened before, perhaps some of the folks who have been following lions for a lot longer than myself would have more information on other such eras, but this year has been difficult, without a doubt.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-31-2022, 11:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 06:02 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I’m at a lost for words.   This is so crushing and devastating for me to see.   I may need a break away soon Sad

My friend, I know how you feel, believe me, there have been many that have gotten to me, Othawa Male among so many others. I liken it to my current situation. I have an elderly dog, a large breed who has a 10-12 year life expectancy. He'll be 12 in December, and I have had him since he was a little pup, he and I bonded and became best of buds almost on day one. That has continued non-stop. Well, he now has arthritis, and just two Sundays ago he suffered a total rupture of his rear leg knee ligament for which we are awaiting a custom brace to be fabricated. Watching him struggle to get around, having to help him get up at times, has been a most difficult period for us. He's still mentally strong, often resisting our attempts to help him, but that day is drawing nearer by the day, and when it happens it will be soul crushing for me. He has never seen it, and hopefully he won't, I do my utter best to not let him see it, but it is really hard. It will take some time, but it won't stop me from eventually getting another dog, because I am not doing this for me, but for them.

I mention this story, only to draw the parallel that if we were not here to learn of the incredible feats of these beautiful creatures, then who would? Their stories, victories and defeats, would remain unknown, and there would be nobody to share their tales with others.

Well said!!
@criollo2mil, you're one of the greatest assets to this forum together with others. All I can say is that always remember that death is an inevitable part of the Life cycle. It's very sad but all we can do is to wish for the best to happen to Sassy and cubs but also be ready for the worst.

Thank you for the kind words.   It’s just been a very tough year.   Seems unrelenting with losses and sadness.   I know it comes w the territory.  But it’s still hard to watch

I had just recently been telling my wife how crazy 2022 has been in the lion world, so much turmoil, seemingly everywhere you look. It has gotten to where just about every time I open the site, I am wondering what has happened to which pride/coalition. I would imagine that such turmoil has happened before, perhaps some of the folks who have been following lions for a lot longer than myself would have more information on other such eras, but this year has been difficult, without a doubt.

This year has been so brutal that every morning I wake up leery of opening up my messenger because it’s been mostly bad news being sent about developments overnight.   I don’t like that feeling and when I shared that with my own wife, she questioned why the heck do I do this and why not stop.   I tell her I have no good answer Sad
6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 12:03 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-31-2022, 11:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I had just recently been telling my wife how crazy 2022 has been in the lion world, so much turmoil, seemingly everywhere you look. It has gotten to where just about every time I open the site, I am wondering what has happened to which pride/coalition. I would imagine that such turmoil has happened before, perhaps some of the folks who have been following lions for a lot longer than myself would have more information on other such eras, but this year has been difficult, without a doubt.

Well, is pretty much every year, more or less, lions will die, get killed every year. 

2021 was more "shocking" in Sabi Sands if you ask me, demise of Sparta pride, then sudden deaths of OM, Styx male and Tsalala female hit pretty hard.

This year is mostly Othawas having bad year..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

(11-01-2022, 12:02 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 11:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I had just recently been telling my wife how crazy 2022 has been in the lion world, so much turmoil, seemingly everywhere you look. It has gotten to where just about every time I open the site, I am wondering what has happened to which pride/coalition. I would imagine that such turmoil has happened before, perhaps some of the folks who have been following lions for a lot longer than myself would have more information on other such eras, but this year has been difficult, without a doubt.

Well, is pretty much every year, more or less, lions will die, get killed every year. 

2021 was more "shocking" in Sabi Sands if you ask me, demise of Sparta pride, then sudden deaths of OM, Styx male and Tsalala female hit pretty hard.

This year is mostly Othawas having bad year..

2022 started badly for me and has not let up:  many many stories I’ve been close with 

Mhangeni Sub lost; then Bus, then Kupona, Mhangeni lioness, Limper, Talamati Stompie, PE, Aunties, Old Styx, Styx Boys, then blondie, Maybe Silvereye, Maybe last Mhangeni SubAdult then Sassy’s situation.   Yes, every year it’s losses, but it seems it’s been much more unrelenting in 2022.  

I’m of course only speaking w Sabi Sand, which is where I follow closest.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(10-31-2022, 11:51 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 11:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Well said!!

This year has been so brutal that every morning I wake up leery of opening up my messenger because it’s been mostly bad news being sent about developments overnight.   I don’t like that feeling and when I shared that with my own wife, she questioned why the heck do I do this and why not stop.   I tell her I have no good answer Sad

The main thing is all about accepting death as part of us, it is coming sooner or later. 
It is normal to feel sad few days but then shake the feeling off and keep going. 
For example, in my personal experience with these amazing animals, I got very sad a couple of days with the death of Tsalala queen but eventually you move on, and work on preventing not to get very attach so next death doesn't affect you as bad as the previous one.
5 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

(11-01-2022, 12:26 AM)afortich Wrote: The main thing is all about accepting death as part of us, it is coming sooner or later. 
It is normal to feel sad few days but then shake the feeling off and keep going. 
For example, in my personal experience with these amazing animals, I got very sad a couple of days with the death of Tsalala queen but eventually you move on, and work on preventing not to get very attach so next death doesn't affect you as bad as the previous one.

Yeah, the two most hurtful losses I’ve felt in recent times were OM and Lady Tsalala. The Disbelief sort of dampened the pain….it’s weird to explain
7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-01-2022, 12:24 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: 2022 started badly for me and has not let up:  many many stories I’ve been close with 

Mhangeni Sub lost; then Bus, then Kupona, Mhangeni lioness, Limper, Talamati Stompie, PE, Aunties, Old Styx, Styx Boys, then blondie, Maybe Silvereye, Maybe last Mhangeni SubAdult then Sassy’s situation.   Yes, every year it’s losses, but it seems it’s been much more unrelenting in 2022.  

Most of those are 10-15 years old females (who lived quite long and fulfiling life as wild lions, nobody is immortal) , subs/cubs (of which death rate is very high anyways, their demises shouldnt "suprise" us as we know that only 20% of cubs and a bit higher % of subs reach adulthood) and sick lions (for them is better to be gone then to suffer without hope).

Although also sad, but for me it doesnt hit as hard (because of this reasons above), as seeing adult, healthy, young lion, in his best years, go.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

1ofCourage Offline

Sassy can’t find hope, help or friend. She has a feline version of PTSD. She could be wary of her own cubs by now, too, especially after Gingerella’s attack and Skorro getting in on the chase. Her brain probably relives it so she is not resting either but walks around restless for the next round.
Her loses were great with one coming right on the heels of the other. She had no framework from which to rebound.
She was constantly attacked. Attacks on attacks. Fierce attacks that, no doubt, were terrifying and drawn out with none to intervene.
God may step in, but without that, Sassy will be welcomed by her pride elsewhere.
4 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(11-01-2022, 06:59 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: Sassy can’t find hope, help or friend. She has a feline version of PTSD. She could be wary of her own cubs by now, too, especially after Gingerella’s attack and Skorro getting in on the chase. Her brain probably relives it so she is not resting either but walks around restless for the next round.
Her loses were great with one coming right on the heels of the other. She had no framework from which to rebound.
She was constantly attacked. Attacks on attacks. Fierce attacks that, no doubt, were terrifying and drawn out with none to intervene.
God may step in, but without that, Sassy will be welcomed by her pride elsewhere.

Make sense. This is so heartbreaking! 

I remember she was the one who took Gingerella and the three boys to nomad to avoid Tumbela coalition. If I am right, she should be experienced to deal with nomad life.
1 user Likes BorntobeWild's post

(11-01-2022, 06:59 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: Sassy can’t find hope, help or friend. She has a feline version of PTSD. She could be wary of her own cubs by now, too, especially after Gingerella’s attack and Skorro getting in on the chase. Her brain probably relives it so she is not resting either but walks around restless for the next round.

Wait,, one of the symptoms is hiding.  She did not hide, she approached the vehicle.   Anyway, I still hold hope for her. She is 9 years old lioness,  unless she is absolutely lost, a few good meals will bring her back.
1 user Likes BorntobeWild's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 04:31 PM by criollo2mil )

Read some exchanges from animal advocacy agency saying they were asked to evaluate  at what kind of help they could provide.   But her poor condition would not qualify for intervention implying she’s beyond help.   Not sure how much longer she’ll be with us.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-01-2022, 09:12 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: She is 9 years old lioness,  unless she is absolutely lost, a few good meals will bring her back.

She is not even 8 yrs old.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 04:49 PM by Mabingilane )

Oh no. This is beyond heartbreaking. 
Almost an entire pride wiped out in less than a year. 
Oh Sassy our poor girl.

They said she was 9 years old. She turns 8 years old in the new year. She is still relatively young!
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 05:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

Wet subs :

Photo credits : nicolearanya

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

(11-01-2022, 04:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 09:12 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: She is 9 years old lioness,  unless she is absolutely lost, a few good meals will bring her back.

She is not even 8 yrs old.

Right, she is OM's littermate.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post