There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocean

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This was a rare occasion, I wonder which one was more surprised....

2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM by Shadow )

Pity to see news like this:

https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/2019/04/27/fisherman-frees-white-whale-from-body-harness-in-northern-norway

In this link some photos too:

https://www.is.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000006087029.html

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM by sanjay )

Excellent videos that make you feel the absence of time and darkness. Love this video

7 users Like sanjay's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2019, 02:34 PM by Shadow )

This was really extraordinary incident. Manta Ray seems to seek help from divers and let them remove the hook near its eye. 

Quote:
"A massive manta ray has been filmed repeatedly seeking help from divers, in a remarkable encounter off the coast of Australia.

Footage shows Freckles the ray approaching the divers, off the Ningaloo Coast in Western Australia, and showing them that it had fish hooks caught under its eye.

One of the divers removed the hooks after several attempts, and footage of the unusual meeting has gone viral.

"We were really lucky in that we saw a manta nice and early, and quietly slipped into the water to spend some time with it," photographer Monty Halls said in a Facebook post. "After a few minutes we noticed that it had some fish hooks buried beneath (its) right eye, and was repeatedly presenting itself to our guide Jake."

"This wasn't my imagination, again and again it came back, turned over, and paused in the water, and -- plainly -- was looking to us to be helped," Halls added.

"Jake got some pliers, and -- made several attempts, with the manta returning each time to allow him another go (it was obviously painful for it). Finally, he managed it, and the manta settled quietly on the bottom and stayed with us for a wee while."

"It was an extraordinary half hour or so, and such a clear illustration that these animals have intelligence, trust, and a strong association with folks who treat them with respect," he wrote.

In a video of the incident, Halls said the manta ray recognized the divers from previous expeditions.

Manta rays are one of countless creatures found in Ningaloo Reef, a World Heritage site and one of the world's longest near-shore reefs. Their wingspans can grow to more than 20 feet but, unlike sting rays, they cannot harm humans and often greet nearby divers."

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/manta-ray-divers-footage-scli-intl/index.html
Several other media have published articles about this.
6 users Like Shadow's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 06:22 AM by peter )

USS INDIANAPOLIS RESCUE

The heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis was sunk by Japanese submarine I-58 in July 1945. She went down in 12 minutes only.

It seems the distress calls were noticed, but ignored.

As a result, it took almost four days before a search was organized.

Of the total crew of 1189, only 316 survived. 

Most perished as a result of a combination of factors. Sharks were involved.

When a Catalina reached the scene, the pilot (Lt. A. Marks) set her down amid 12-foot swells. In this way, 56 survivors of the Indianapolis were saved well before the ships arrived. 

Found this photograph a few days ago. Seems to be real, but I'm not sure. If real, it most probably was taken from the Catalina:      

*This image is copyright of its original author

More info: https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog/pby-catalina-saved-uss-indianapolis-sailors-from-massive-shark-attack/

A survivor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5U28hFNQ_k

Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOAg3wCkOkI
6 users Like peter's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-16-2019, 10:59 AM)peter Wrote: USS INDIANAPOLIS RESCUE

The heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis was sunk by a Japanese submarine in 1945. As a result of specific circumstances, it took a number of days before a search was organized.

Found this photograph a few days ago. Seems to be real, but I'm not sure:      

More info: https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog/pby-catalina-saved-uss-indianapolis-sailors-from-massive-shark-attack/

A survivor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5U28hFNQ_k

As far as I know, this photo is authentic. It´s published in different places and in some it is also mentioned, that taken during rescue. If someone has a book about this tragedy, maybe they could confirm.

Anyway what can be seen in this photo is what happened there, many men were killed and eaten more or less by sharks. So many of them had no other option, but to float with life jacket and wait, wait, wait....
1 user Likes Shadow's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 06:53 AM by peter )

LARGE TIGER SHARK

In 2016, there was a shark attack in the northern part of New South Wales.

The shark possibly involved was caught off Seven Mile Beach some time later.

The fisherman who caught the shark was fighting a 6-foot hammerhead he had hooked when it was swallowed by a large tiger shark. The tiger shark was then hauled into a fishing boat. Its jaws were stripped out as a trophy.

The fisherman added the tiger shark, compared to some of the others he had seen, only was " ... a little one ...".  

The photographs were posted by Geoff Brooks:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PPXh-q6krk
3 users Like peter's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-19-2019, 06:26 AM)peter Wrote: LARGE TIGER SHARK

The fisherman who caught the shark was fighting a 6-foot hammerhead he had hooked when it was swallowed by a large tiger shark. The tiger shark was then hauled into a fishing boat. Its jaws were stripped out as a trophy.

The fisherman added the tiger shark, compared to some of the others he had seen, only was " ... a little one ...".  

I actually remember this case and it was controversial. Some experts estimated based on photos, that it would have been around 4 meters, but difficult to say. Still obviously a real fisherman, who got it. Biggest ones are always the ones, which they didn´t catch Wink´m sure, that if someone gets one day a 6 meter great white, there was at least 8 meters long passing the boat same time Grin 

But who knows, maybe this was around 5 meters, 6 meters would be world record tiger shark as far as I know(?). This one is one of those remaining partial mystery. Pity, that even in these days something like this can´t be really confirmed. It´s said, that jaws would be somewhere, but no information about those and whole shark just vanished. I have to say, that I don´t believe that this was world record size, but big one for sure.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM by peter )

(07-19-2019, 12:24 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I actually remember this case and it was controversial. Some experts estimated based on photos, that it would have been around 4 meters, but difficult to say. Still obviously a real fisherman, who got it. Biggest ones are always the ones, which they didn´t catch Wink´m sure, that if someone gets one day a 6 meter great white, there was at least 8 meters long passing the boat same time Grin 

But who knows, maybe this was around 5 meters, 6 meters would be world record tiger shark as far as I know(?). This one is one of those remaining partial mystery. Pity, that even in these days something like this can´t be really confirmed. It´s said, that jaws would be somewhere, but no information about those and whole shark just vanished. I have to say, that I don´t believe that this was world record size, but big one for sure.

While I agree a 16-foot shark is big anywhere, 20 feet apparently isn't the limit.

My father sailed the world and wasn't involved in exaggerations. In his opinion, some of the sharks he saw in the Pacific and off the coast of eastern Africa reached 23 feet or more.

Marine biologists in the US, using bite marks to determine the size of sharks, now agree white sharks can grow to 21-22 feet.

Here's a few photographs I recently found.

1 - Patrol boat and white shark. The patrol boat is 8,5 meters:

2 - Australia. Authorities estimated this white shark at 7 meters:

As to the size of the tiger shark caught off the New South Wales coast.

Here's a photograph showing his jaws: 

3 users Like peter's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM by Shadow )

(07-19-2019, 01:34 PM)peter Wrote:

My father was a sailor. He said the length of tiger sharks and white sharks isn't limited to 19-20 feet. In his opinion, some sharks in the Pacific and off the coast of eastern Africa reach 7 meters or more.

Marine biologists in the US, using bite marks to determine the size of sharks, agree white sharks can grow to 21-22 feet.

2 - Australia. Authorities estimated this shark at 7 meters:

When he was caught, his jaws were cut out. They say it was a big one: 

Yes, I know about estimations up to 7 meters and I wouldn´t be surprised if that kind of measurement could be one day confirmed. I just don´t understand, that don´t they have enough measuring tapes and cameras for instance in Japan or Australia to take measurements and photos about measuring, a video perhaps. We have had cameras in almost every mobile phone for quite some time. And countries like Japan and Australia... I mean when you look at those photos, most probably everyone have there mobile phone with camera. And still we have nothing reliable what comes to at least length.

So either this shark was big, but not record breaking. Or then these people just aren´t interested to get their names to the Guinness Book of Records. Difficult to say, hopefully when next big one is catched in some way, people would use even 5-10 minutes to get decent proof about size. I believe that finding measuring tape and taking some photos when measuring shouldn´t be a problem in harbor :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-19-2019, 01:34 PM)peter Wrote:

While I agree a 16-foot shark is big anywhere, 20 feet apparently isn't the limit.

My father sailed the world and wasn't involved in exaggerations. In his opinion, some of the sharks he saw in the Pacific and off the coast of eastern Africa reached 23 feet or more.

Marine biologists in the US, using bite marks to determine the size of sharks, now agree white sharks can grow to 21-22 feet.

2 - Australia. Authorities estimated this white shark at 7 meters:

Here's a photograph showing his jaws: 

Actually here is one article showing, that size of this shark is very controversial, this article is about same shark.

Quote:
"UPDATE 2.18pm: A HUGE Tiger shark caught off Tweed Heads last month swallowed a six foot Hammerhead shark just before it was pulled aboard, said Tweed Coast fisherman Matthew.
"I was fighting the Hammerhead and he came up and swallowed it," he said.
"You can't turn around and go no, don't touch, to something like that."
The four metre shark was caught about three weeks ago, 14 miles off Tweed Heads, licensed fisherman Matthew said.
Compared to others Tiger sharks he'd seen, Matthew said this specimen was small.
"I'm always on the water; either on it, in it, or under it," he said.
"I dive with sharks; I love diving with sharks.
"I've dived with sharks bigger than that, it's only a little one.
"I've seen Tiger Sharks 24 feet-long off Tweed."

I guess, that 24 feet long can be understood, that he has seen some very big ones, difficult to say then have those been 18,20 or 24 feet... for instance.

This is link to article: https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/photos-huge-shark-pulled-water-circulate-online/2737974/#.Vcqc5XMKfrw.facebook

Also this same photos was there

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

About posting #84 @peter , one more. Here it´s five meters now...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/man-at-the-centre-of-sydney-harbour-fatal-cruise/news-story/b0d3a34f5618e21ff6a7a9ec865b72bf

Quote:
"Mr Reynolds, identifying himself only as Matthew, told the Northern Star he had hooked a six-foot hammerhead shark which was then eaten by the 5m tiger shark shortly before it was pulled aboard."

"The Department of Primary Industries confirmed the trawler was licensed to catch sharks.

Tiger sharks can grow up to 7m long, and large specimens have been spotted lurking ­between the mid-north coast and the Gold Coast.

“It appears to have been captured by a longline,” a DPI spokeswoman said.
“This size is not unusual for a tiger shark. The department is not investigating this incident, as no ­illegal activity has occurred.”

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 06:41 PM by Shadow )

I have seen recently some videos, where headlines have been like 25-35 feet great white shark etc. In many cases that big shark is actually a basking shark. In some cases people then again just exaggerate size of the shark, maybe not on purpose, but if a big great white shark swims close to boat, 16 feet is easily 25 feet, when people post videos on youtube :)

But because there really is a shark, which can be 25-35 feet and even a bit more and which can be mixed to great white shark, here two differences, which can be often noticed if paying attention while watching footage. 

First thing is dorsal fin, in some cases difference can be difficult to notice, but in many cases actually very easy. Dorsal fin of a basking shark is often like top of triangle, both sides diagonal. Great white shark has then again more like so, that backside of dorsal fin is straight line downwards and front side is diagonal. This picture should open up the case, when situation is clear.

Another difference is then position of dorsal fin compared to pectoral fins. Great white shark has dorsal fin closer to pectoral fins in way, that if drawing line straight down from front of dorsal fin, that line touches backside of pectoral fins. From points, where these fins are attached to body.

When looking at baskin shark, there is small, but usually clear gap, if you draw same line straight down from front of dorsal fin and then look at pectoral fins.

Here some photos to show the difference.

One more image, in this up to bottom: Great white shark, Porbeagle shark, Shortfin Mako shark, Baskin shark and Bluea shark.

In pictures like this it looks like impossible to mix these sharks, but when basking shark swims mouth closed, it looks so different, than in many pictures and photos taken, when it has mouth wide open. Also color differences are often pretty impossible to use as reliable ways to identify, when light conditions, projections (or is reflections better term) have effect. These two characteristics then again are usually possible to see at some point. And if not giving 100% certainty always, at least much better estimation is possible than most people can do, when they give opinions based on what they want to see, not what careful observer, who knows differences, sees there.

But when seeing "sensational" headlines, it´s good to remember, that yes, there are giant sharks in the ocean as we speak, but those biggest of the big, basking sharks and whale sharks aren´t predators.
3 users Like Shadow's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

It seems that the largest whale and the largest sharks have similarities. Their diet is microscopic animals and plants.
2 users Like GreenGrolar's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2019, 05:42 PM by Rishi )

Walrus found sleeping on one the crew-hatches of surfaced Russian nuke submarine the K-186 Omsk while being repaired off the coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula, 16th May 2006.  

Edit: The first image is apprently doctored & fake.

Real ones;

8 users Like Rishi's post