There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocean

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Beautiful image of Humpback whales
Humback whales in the ocean
*This image is copyright of its original author

Humback whales swimming in ocean
6 users Like sanjay's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2016, 09:47 PM by parvez )

Disturbing but interesting,
[video=youtube]http://http://roaring.earth/fishermen-become-millionaires-after-finding-176-pounds-of-whale-vomit/[/video]
Three men have hit the jackpot after finding 176 pounds of floating whale vomit worth an estimated $2.8 million.
According to a report in Times of Oman, the fishermen discovered one giant chunk off the coast of Qurayat in the northeastern part of Oman.
One of the men said in the report, “We used a rope to collect it and carry it inside the boat. I was told earlier that ambergris has an icky smell, but after a couple of days it imparts a pleasant scent. We rushed back to the beach with joy and happiness.”
While you might not consider a marine animal’s waste to be valuable, this particular waxy substance called “ambergris” is a heavily sought after component of perfumes
Most perfumers have switched to using synthetic ambroxan instead of whale vomit due to concerns with animal welfare (the use encourages hunting), but some countries still trade  it legally. The substance acts as a fixative, allowing the scent to last longer on your skin.

Ambergris is formed in the stomachs of sperm whales. Scientists theorize that because the sperm whale diet consists mainly of giant squids with sharp, pointy beaks, ambergris coats the digestive system to form a protective layer.

The waxy substance is generally found in lumps of random shapes and sizes, and generally ranges in weight from 15 to 100 grams. Initially, it has an unpleasant fishy odor; as it ages, it develops a sweet, musky scent.
These fishermen are surely thanking the whale that provided them with such an unexpected fortune. “I’ll wait to see how this sale will go and later I’ll think of changing my career and enter the real-estate sector to live a better life,” one of the crew members said.

[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/1DbIzfYUmwk[/video]
5 users Like parvez's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Killer whale defeats sevengill shark in battle for ocean supremacy

MONTEREY, Calif., Dec. 14 (UPI) -- A drone photographer on a California whale watching tour captured footage of the aftermath of one of the ocean's great rivalries -- killer whales vs. sharks.
The photographer was on a tour Tuesday with Monterey Bay Whale Watch when the drone was dispatched to capture footage of a nearby pod of killer whales.
The drone operator reviewed the footage and discovered one of the killer whales was holding the carcass of another predator -- a sevengill shark.
"These whales are typically smaller in size than the Bigg's or transient killer whale type and they had several very young calves with them! Great encounter!" Monterey Bay Whale Watch said on its Facebook page.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/12/14/K...481733972/
4 users Like Pckts's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

Imagine being ambushed by one of these in our modern oceans:

1 user Likes Polar's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(01-16-2017, 05:09 AM)Polar Wrote: Imagine being ambushed by one of these in our modern oceans:

Aesome & realistic animation & movements!!!..
2 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Polar :

About #49: "Walking with dinosaurs" 2th episode "Cruel sea"...
3 users Like Spalea's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM by peter )

HUMANS AND SHARKS

Humans hunt sharks. To such a degree, that many species are threatened. Occasionally, sharks hunt humans. This post has a few pictures of near misses and a very fit man who survived an attack in Australia.

We'll start with the navy diver who was attacked by a bull shark in Sydney Harbour:

Near miss 1 - South Africa:

Near miss 2 - Australia:

Near-miss 3 - Australia (not sure):

No words needed, I guess:

Did sharks develop an appetite for humans in recent years? Not likely. But ever more humans visit the sea and ignore the risks. Although those in the know maintain that the chance to get targeted is close to zero, things change when you decide for a bit of recreation in the sea in a region where large sharks are common.
4 users Like peter's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

Although it is still possible (like the man and bear relationships) that sharks might have an affinity for revenge towards humans, since humans are killing sharks as a tremendous level and sharks are starting to plot a mega-revenge of sorts.
2 users Like Polar's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2017, 07:16 AM by peter )

DO GREAT WHITE SHARKS ATTACK BOATS?

Over the years, I read many stories about great white sharks attacking, and at times sinking, vessels. There is a story about a yacht found at sea near Australia. Apart from a dead man, it was empty. Those with experience thought the man had been attacked by a shark, but there was no shark on his yacht. And the other three persons were gone. No trace whatsoever. So what happened? Nobody knows.

Last week, a fisherman was attacked by a 9 feet white shark. Australia as well. The shark ended up in his boat. The man had a few injuries, but survived. The shark didn't. Could a larger white shark jump a larger ship like, say, a yacht, trash around and jump overboard with a man? And do it more than once? Nobody knows.

White sharks are thinking animals. It's also known that they cooperate at times. Several cases have been documented.

Some years ago, not too far from Adelaide, four young guys decided for some fun in the harbour on a hot day. One of them was on a ski when he was attacked by a great white. The shark pulled him from his ski and halved the poor guy. Another shark took the other half. His friends saw what happened from start to finish. Not something you would want to see.  

In 2014, a dead whale beached somewhere in southwestern Australia. On the seaside of the whale, there was a small boat with some people in it. One of them had a camera. The dinghy was between the whale and a white shark interested in the carcass. The shark made it clear that the men were not wanted. It lifted its head from the water, watched the men and attacked. The first attack was directed at the front. The second was from the bottom. After the third attack, the men decided to leave the dinghy as quickly as possible.  

One of them was interviewed. We're not talking about an amateur. He was still amazed. Make that shaken. The shark wasn't large, but that wasn't needed. Play it loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5VALcd6LA0
3 users Like peter's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2017, 07:25 AM by peter )

GREAT WHITE OFF THE COAST OF RIMINI

Some time ago, I posted a documentary about great white sharks in the sea between Europe and Africa. Although not often seen, they are present. The longest caught could have been close to 23 feet.

I remember a documentary from Cousteau. It was broadcasted in the eighties of the last century or so. They caught a big great white just north of Egypt and tied the shark to the boat. While talking about the shark, another great white appeared and immediately attacked the shark tied to the ship. That shark most probably was still alive when it was attacked. I don't know how much a great white can consume in one sitting, but what I saw was impressive.

Close to Rimini (Italy), a man and his son were fishing at sea. Might have been 1998. They caught a thresher shark. Than a great white moved in and attacked the thresher. Ferocity at work:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5VALcd6LA0
3 users Like peter's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

SAN FRANSISCO BAY

I don't know if this was shopped or not. I do know that white sharks are often seen close to shore in the southwestern part and the northeastern of the USA:

2 users Like peter's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

What a terrifying feeling those swimmers must have experienced after realizing what is swimming with them!
2 users Like chaos's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 10:45 AM by peter )

(06-07-2017, 06:36 AM)chaos Wrote: What a terrifying feeling those swimmers must have experienced after realizing what is swimming with them!

The liner notes said 'San Fransisco Bay shark attack', but I'm not sure if it was an attack as I never read anything about an attack in the San Fransisco Bay. Apart from one, all attacks happened at sea.

I know that attacks are rare, but they happen.

I would think twice about swimming in a region that has sharks. Wouldn't want to meet the shark below. It was caught in Monterey Bay in 1982:

1 user Likes peter's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

So. California has a huge number of juvenile gws (8-12')  with very few shark attacks and many surfers  and swimmers. I'm not sure if the influx in shark numbers is from their protection or technological advances, maybe both. But whatever the case, it's been interesting to watch.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

There was a confirmed case of an adult Orca and calf attacking a great white off the central Cali coast a few years back. What was truly interesting
was that just after the attack, that area, known for a population of tagged great whites, was completely devoid of all GW sharks. Somehow they
knew of the Orca's presence and fled the area.
2 users Like chaos's post