There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

United States Sassy4Christ Offline

(03-04-2024, 04:51 AM)Mapokser The boys may be bigger than Mohawk, but Mohawk is still "the man" and dominates the boys at will.  The Nkuhuma boys have lived the most posh and luxurious lives of any male lives I\ve ever seen.  They had an amazing upbringing by the incomparable Nkuhuma lionesses.  Mohawk and Blondie were always around the pride giving them a sense of stability.  Further, the Nkuhuma boys were allowed to remain in their pride for 4.5 years and are now accompanied by their Dad. These boys know nothing about the hardship of being male lions.  Consequently, it will take them a while to develop that "killer instinct". Wrote: @Tr1x24 true, besides, LS was with his coalition, Manghenis would have no chance.

Even when some of the NK waa below 4yo, a guide said he saw them sidd by side with their father ans they were bigger.

Photo below is from many months ago, before they eveb had left Sabi Sands, and the elder NK here already looks bigger and more powerful than Mohawk, with much thicker forelimbs, and currently the younger NKs don't seem to be much smaller than the elder brother:

*This image is copyright of its original author

There was also the occasion, many months ago, where one of the younger NK was pushing Mohawk on a kill.

The truth is that the younger NK males are already the size of prime males.

It'd be necessary 2 other males to break his spine
1 user Likes Sassy4Christ's post

Wink 

(03-04-2024, 12:54 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 12:13 AM)Mapokser  The Nkuhuma young males have lived a very posh and stress-free life up until now.  Their manes should be HUGE LOL.  They\ve been under the protection of the pride and the N. Avocas all of their lives.  And the boys are still not totally independent as nomads...if they are even considered nomads.  They are being accompanied by their Dad and were back with the pride last week!  The Nkhuhuma young males don't know anything about the harsh life of being nomadic male lions.  They've been very lucky thus far.  However, this could cause them some issues with their development as pride males going forward. We'll see. I also think both of Purple Eyes twins are relatively small.  Lip Scar was bigger than his brother; however, they are both small for their age of 4.5 years old. And of course the youngest boy is very small for his age of almost 3 years old. Wrote: One of the NK females with a bad horn injury to her chest, with her I think it's the almost 3yo NK male:

If not for his balls I wouldn't be able to tell this was a male. It just shows yet again how much quickly the NK Breakaway male sub is developing, as he is almost a year younger than his cousin here but much more well developed.

Seems that the Northern Avocas male offspring have either turned out to be on the bigger or smaller side. Dzwihala, Khanya, Chelas boy, Ridge Nose boy all seem to be massive males but the surviving twin and the 2021 male seem to be on the smaller side. I don’t think Lipscar was a small male but wasn’t as big as his two other brothers so seemed a lil more average in size.

Always wonder with how much adversity these young males going up against, it surely affects their development. Whether this has been scientifically proven or what idk, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Ridge Nose breakaway son has that darkness in his mane already while living a seemingly stress free life before RN died. Obviously genetics plays a part but I believe so does the upbringing.

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

he was a pretty boy, may his brothers have better luck, preferably outside of where they are now, they are still a little young for area opponents, who knows, maybe their adventures further north will guide them to mbiri pride for example, it would be better for everyone
2 users Like Gavskrr's post

( This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 08:26 PM by BA0701 )

(03-05-2024, 09:52 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: he was a pretty boy, may his brothers have better luck, preferably outside of where they are now, they are still a little young for area opponents, who knows, maybe their adventures further north will guide them to mbiri pride for example, it would be better for everyone
Mbiri pride...that's a great idea for the Nkuhumas or even Kambulas.
3 users Like Sassy4Christ's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Normally I’d say that’s a great idea and it is but manyeleti has the very bad poaching and snaring problem
6 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Update on the lioness horned by a buffalo

6 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

Nkuhumas hunting buffalo on WildEarth.

3 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor

Tribute to NK Lip Scar

6 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

4 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Chela with her 3 new cubs.

4 users Like BA0701's post

(03-05-2024, 07:44 AM)Sassy4Christ Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 12:54 AM)KM600 Ridge Nose\s oldest Nkuhuma son and even his twin brother (before he died) were huge boys at 2 years old with manes.  I think the development of manes early/late is mostly genetic...at least for Ridge Nose's oldest and youngest boys. Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 12:13 AM)Mapokser  The Nkuhuma young males have lived a very posh and stress-free life up until now.  Their manes should be HUGE LOL.  They\ve been under the protection of the pride and the N. Avocas all of their lives.  And the boys are still not totally independent as nomads...if they are even considered nomads.  They are being accompanied by their Dad and were back with the pride last week!  The Nkhuhuma young males don Wrote: One of the NK females with a bad horn injury to her chest, with her I think it's the almost 3yo NK male:

If not for his balls I wouldn't be able to tell this was a male. It just shows yet again how much quickly the NK Breakaway male sub is developing, as he is almost a year younger than his cousin here but much more well developed.

Seems that the Northern Avocas male offspring have either turned out to be on the bigger or smaller side. Dzwihala, Khanya, Chelas boy, Ridge Nose boy all seem to be massive males but the surviving twin and the 2021 male seem to be on the smaller side. I don’t think Lipscar was a small male but wasn’t as big as his two other brothers so seemed a lil more average in size.

Always wonder with how much adversity these young males going up against, it surely affects their development. Whether this has been scientifically proven or what idk, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Ridge Nose breakaway son has that darkness in his mane already while living a seemingly stress free life before RN died. Obviously genetics plays a part but I believe so does the upbringing.

Contributor

Tattered ears & the daughter of Ridge Nose 

5 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

Nkuhumas on Mala Mala. At least 8 members present.

6 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor

5 users Like afortich's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(03-17-2024, 01:06 AM)BA0701 Black Dam Males\ offspring? Wrote: Chela with her 3 new cubs.

3 users Like Maghreb's post