There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Ttimemarti Offline

Mhangenis have always been extra aggressive females plus it’s 5 of them largest pride in the west out of 4 prides maybe 5 counting the talamati breakaway pride but no pride has 2+ females only the mhangenis

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2024, 11:20 PM by Mapokser )

Is the male subadult also accounted for?

I think this makes the situation slightly better. The subs are probably independent already and the female may have more chances to rebuild the pride than her mother would.

It'd be perfect if they joined the Othawas indeed, but very unlikely. Still I don't think Tumbela would attack the female sub as she's the size of an adult already, but regardless I doubt the NK would try to approach with Tumbela around.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(02-18-2024, 11:07 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Is the male subadult also accounted for?

I think this makes the situation slightly better. The subs are probably independent already and the female may have more chances to rebuild the prise than her mother would.

It's be perfect if they joined the Othawas indeed, but very unlikely. Still I don't think Tumbela would attack the female sub as she's the size of an adult already, but regardless I doubt the NK would try to approach with Tumbela around.

I believe so, but it was just a couple of weeks ago they were worried about him as it looked like he had bite holes in his hind legs or something.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-18-2024, 11:08 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I believe so, but it was just a couple of weeks ago they were worried about him as it looked like he had bite holes in his hind legs or something.

I dont think that females can kill that sub male that easily and without putting big effort, which is prob not worth it.

Females usually just scare of young males, and rarely kill them (unless some lucky blow happens like in Styx male case), but they are much more agressive towards rival females.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He is still only two years old and we still have to see if these two are ready to fend for themselves. We shall see how the cards lie in a few weeks. 
But right now, I wouldn't count anything out.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-19-2024, 12:47 AM by Mapokser )

The male sub will likely not get killed, indeed, but if caught he'll get a beating, especially considering the Manghenis have cubs.

Just look at what they did to one of the Talamati males twice as old as this guy.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(02-18-2024, 01:52 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: If I’m not mistake it was either the plains camp males or the plains camp males and the nkuhuma breakaway females that killed the tsalala female. And it just depends the Birmingham males stopped the kambula from killed the tsalala female well defused the situation and I think it was Mr T that protected a young male I believe it was the male who’s mother was killed by a snare from the ximhungwe pride but he eventually killed the cub I think. But yes very sad they probably saw saw who it was and was like oh ok and left but the mhangenis just like their daughters the kambulas untra aggressive and territorial females

Mapogo genes.
1 user Likes Maghreb's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Yeah ultra aggressive I mean the mhangenis themselfs then the kambulas then the kambulas daughters all big aggressive girls

Go131810 Offline

The Styxt male lion was a big male lion. The Styxt male lion  like the Othowa male lion may they rest in peace were too big and strong. I have a feeling that there was a lot of lions fighting with male lions. There was the Birminghams male lions, the 2 Avoca male around the Kambula prides. The Nukhuma male lion must of had been with his brother the Styxt male lion that looked like they were going to grow together. That would have been beautiful, but my point I think the Plain camp male lions were involve in alot of these fights. I think the Nukhuma male lion knows them very well even for a long time with his family his bother the Styxt male lions and his father the Birmingham male lion. Like the Tumbela male lion he is not interested in the Nukhuma male lion they must of competed and fought many times.

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-19-2024, 01:15 AM by afortich )

(02-18-2024, 05:10 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: perfect scenario for them to join the Ottawas... but with Skorro jr on their tail it could end in a bad way, I wonder now if if the PCM finds them they will persecute them especially the young male, in fact the Talamati separatists are very far from that area? unfortunately it would be worse if they ventured north given the number of nomadic males in that area at the moment.

I hope this is the final outcome.

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-19-2024, 01:14 AM by afortich )

It appears to be confirmed that the dead lioness was in fact Ridge Nose, so sad RIP.

3 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away

Glad to hear Mohawk and his sons are still fairing well. I’m absolutely devastated by the news that it was Ridgenose and not her daughter who was killed. She was an experienced lioness. I wonder if she sacrificed herself so that her daughter and son could get away? But man this situation is going to be tough for her youngsters to find success in this situation. They are only 2 years old and likely don’t have the experience to fend for themselves. I hope they can make it somehow. 

It truly is an end of an era for the Nkuhumas now with Ridgenose gone. She, Purple Eye and Amber Eyes were legendary in the pride and now they’re all gone. May she RIP.
1 user Likes WildLeonis's post

Contributor

(02-19-2024, 02:27 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: Glad to hear Mohawk and his sons are still fairing well. I’m absolutely devastated by the news that it was Ridgenose and not her daughter who was killed. She was an experienced lioness. I wonder if she sacrificed herself so that her daughter and son could get away? But man this situation is going to be tough for her youngsters to find success in this situation. They are only 2 years old and likely don’t have the experience to fend for themselves. I hope they can make it somehow. 

It truly is an end of an era for the Nkuhumas now with Ridgenose gone. She, Purple Eye and Amber Eyes were legendary in the pride and now they’re all gone. May she RIP.

It is so sad what happened to the Nkuhuma pride. Hopefully, the youngster can survive just like Ottawas, Tsalala, etc., they may even join them.
2 users Like afortich's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Chela is the last matimba nkuhuma and she was the youngest but
 purple eye has her daughter pale eyes and two sons 
ridgenose has two daughters and 2 sons and amber eyes has 2 daughters their memory’s live on threw their daughters and sons 
So so very sad what happened she did what a mother was supposed to do protect her cubs until her final breath unfortunately
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-19-2024, 06:00 AM by Mapokser )

@WildLeonis I think rather than sacrificing herself she was the one caught by chance, or maybe as an old female she gassed out before her cubs... Not that she couldn't have sacrificed herself, of course, it does happen.

As for her cubs, they are 2yo already, Othawas survived having hald their size, being many mouths younger and being in the territory of hostile males.
2 users Like Mapokser's post