There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Friarfan619 Offline

Avoca daughters?? Males sire by PC males??
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-28-2024, 12:30 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Avoca daughters?? Males sire by PC males??

are you asking about the Nkuhuma Breakaways? if so, the Lioness is a Matimba Daughter (Ridge Nose) and the two Sub adults are yes sired by PCMs .
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Thanks,  thought she was an Avoca daughter
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2024, 08:52 PM by Mapokser )

Mala Mala January 2024 report:

THE NKUHUMA PRIDE = 18
1 ADULT FEMALE 10 YEARS 6 MONTHS 
 3 ADULT FEMALES ± 7 YEARS 5 MONTHS 
 4 YOUNG ADULT MALES ± 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS 
 2 YOUNG ADULT FEMALES ± 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS 
1 YOUNG ADULT MALE 4 YEARS 1 MONTH 
7 SUB-ADULTS (3 FEMALES & 4 MALES) ± 2 YEARS 9 MONTHS 
WESTERN & CENTRAL EYREFIELD
 (4 sightings) 

There were four sightings of the members of the Nkuhuma pride in January. On the 4th, 10 members 
of the pride were seen at Buffalo Bush Dam where they were also found the next day feeding on a buffalo kill.

On the 6th, their kill was stolen by the two Ndhzenga males and three estranged Kambula lionesses. After being chased off, three of the sub-adult females and one sub-adult male were found in the Nwana Nonanshemeni Donga, north of Campbell Koppies and six lionesses of different ages were found just south of Matshapiri Dam.

https://malamala.com/monthly-game-reports/
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

RIP to ridgenoses daughter

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Sharing the report posted to Facebook regarding the killing of the Nkuhuma Breakaway female sub adult    RIp

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Heartbreaking nkuhuma breakaway pride is suffering badly first it was amber eyes killed by the mhangenis now ridgenoses daughter killed by the mhangenis. I believe ridgenose is close to 12 years old right? Basically in the same situation as the ximhungwe female although the ximhungwe prides name will live on the bloodline will stop unless she has another litter of cubs but ridgenose has a daughter in the nkuhuma pride right?
4 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2024, 03:09 AM by Mapokser )

What a disgrace. This is a huge blow to the pride. I can't believe it. A shame the PCM left, they could have saved her.

This is the second lioness of the NK Breakaway killed by Mangheni.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2024, 01:03 AM by WildLeonis )

(02-18-2024, 12:20 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Heartbreaking nkuhuma breakaway pride is suffering badly first it was amber eyes killed by the mhangenis now ridgenoses daughter killed by the mhangenis. I believe ridgenose is close to 12 years old right? Basically in the same situation as the ximhungwe female although the ximhungwe prides name will live on the bloodline will stop unless she has another litter of cubs but ridgenose has a daughter in the nkuhuma pride right?

Yes. I think Ridgenose has at least one daughter in the core pride. I was about to ask if there’s any chance she’ll return to the core pride once her son with the PC males is of age. But with her being 12 years old and being away from the core pride for years now, I guess that is highly unlikely. Based on what we’ve seen with the breakaway Nkuhumas and Talamatis it seems as if success after leaving the core pride can oftentimes be detrimental to the breakaways. Perhaps both groups would’ve faired better if there were more lionesses that joined the breakaway groups. This would’ve certainly help them be able to absorb some of the bad luck they’ve encountered and continue thriving. R.I.P. to Ridgenose’s daughter. I hope she and her son are able to stay safe.
2 users Like WildLeonis's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-18-2024, 01:02 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(02-18-2024, 12:20 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Heartbreaking nkuhuma breakaway pride is suffering badly first it was amber eyes killed by the mhangenis now ridgenoses daughter killed by the mhangenis. I believe ridgenose is close to 12 years old right? Basically in the same situation as the ximhungwe female although the ximhungwe prides name will live on the bloodline will stop unless she has another litter of cubs but ridgenose has a daughter in the nkuhuma pride right?

Yes. I think Ridgenose has at least one daughter in the core pride. I was about to ask if there’s any chance she’ll return to the core pride once her son with the PC males is of age. But with her being 12 years old and being away from the core pride for years now, I guess that is highly unlikely. Based on what we’ve seen with the breakaway Nkuhumas and Talamatis it seems as if success after leaving the core pride can oftentimes be detrimental to the breakaways. Perhaps both groups would’ve faired better if there were more lionesses that joined the breakaway groups. This would’ve certainly help them be able to absorb some of the bad luck they’ve encountered and continue thriving. R.I.P. to Ridgenose’s daughter. I hope she and her son are able to stay safe.

I believe the youngest of the Birmingham males daughters in the nkuhuma pride is ridgenoses daughter other two pale eyes daughter of purple eye and I think they call the other tattered ear sister of the nkuhuma male. And both breakaway groups left the pride to save the subadult’s basically Mohawk and blondie tried to take the kambula pride and left the nkuhuma Pride unprotected so the plains camp males moved in they even killed I believe one of amber eyes daughters I looked back she had 3 daughters and 1 son now only 2 daughters and same thing with the talamati pride S8 came in 3 youngest adult females joined him if not the subadults would’ve been killed

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-18-2024, 12:59 AM)Mapokser Wrote: What a disgrace. This is a huge blow to the pride. I can't believe it. A shame the PCM left, they could have saved her.

This is the second lionesses of the NK Breakaway killed by Mangheni.

Who is a disgrace? Plains camp males or mhangeni pride?

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2024, 01:46 AM by Duco Ndona )

Its a harsh reminder that male lions aren't the fatherly protectors people make them out to be. They had no stakes in the conflict, so they stayed out of it to avoid unnecessary wounds. Besides, whichever side they would have picked. It meant attacking one of the lionesses they would normally protect. So its not like they had much of a good option.

Its a sad turnand likely the end of the little breakaway. The young subadult female was the future of the pride. Now Ridge nose will likely spend valuable years raising a son that will eventually be expelled. Leaving her to spend her remaining years as a leopard lioness like lady Tsalala untill she too will pass away. And that is assuming the Mhangeni are done with them already.

Ttimemarti Offline

If I’m not mistake it was either the plains camp males or the plains camp males and the nkuhuma breakaway females that killed the tsalala female. And it just depends the Birmingham males stopped the kambula from killed the tsalala female well defused the situation and I think it was Mr T that protected a young male I believe it was the male who’s mother was killed by a snare from the ximhungwe pride but he eventually killed the cub I think. But yes very sad they probably saw saw who it was and was like oh ok and left but the mhangenis just like their daughters the kambulas untra aggressive and territorial females

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

This is what happens when there are many groups with the same dominant males in a relatively close space, PCM probably withdrew before the second encounter, it's not like we know if they were present in the chase and gave up defending one side. It's true that they chased the first time but we don't know how everything else happened, in short it's a disaster announced, ironically the success of the males can also be a danger to their pride. I wouldn't doubt that she could join the nkuhuma pride in the future, the old talamati lioness is proof that it is possible to move into other prides without ending up being killed.
Rest in peace young nkuhuma these losses are always sad
1 user Likes Gavskrr's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Not really she was with the imbali pride with no dominant male and no young cubs plus she was old and weak she was no threat nkuhuma pride almost same thing talamati breakaway pride they remember her