There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 12:08 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-03-2023, 11:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm also feeling that it is likely that we'll wake up one day to see Mohawk and the Nkuhumas chasing the BDM.

Normally the new coalition would have ousted Mohawk, scattered NK males and pressured the pride strongly a year ago. Seeing how things are right now, unless some other coalition like Kambula does it, Mohawk and NK will eventually get the advantage over BDM.

I think all 4 NK are over 4yo now, they're all ththe size of prime lions, one is a few months older and they have been seen roaring on a few occasions... How many months until these 5 lions decide they don't want to run from only 2? Especially when Mohawk was territorial for a long time? Especially when the bloodline of these NK are known for being precocious?

Maybe NK will eventually decide to off and become fully nomadic on their own, but for now it doesn't look like it's happening and BDM are almost beyond their ability to hold the edge against a coalition of 5.

NK's are ~ 1 year away from that, maybe a bit less (judging by other coalitions in this area), by that time, they will prob be gone from this area.

Only oldest male is few months over 4, 2 mid ones are born around this time in 2019, and youngest is 3 months or so short of 4.

Judging how they still hang closely to their pride and natal area is clear sign they are not really into territorial mode yet, they still consider themselves as part of the pride.

They will prob start roaming more area as time goes, with or without Mohawk  (as they did in Manyeleti and MM), similar to how 2 Talamatis start at their age in similar situation.

If they stay here by the mid 2024, then we might start speculating that they might become territorial here and oust S8 or BDMs.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Feel like Northern Sabi Sands could come down to who capitalises quicker between the Nkuhuma and Kambula YMs, being the largest current coalition is the two BDMs. The Kambulas are older and imo are either going West or North looking for prides given them being highly active in Londolozi, Talamatis prolly make the most sense for them if they return North and as I’ve said before I think they will eventually takeover the pride.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Duco Ndona I don't think they'd be roaring if they thought they were cubs.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Young lions mimic the older lions in pretty much everything. Hunting, mating and the like. So roaring isnt that far fetched. 
For them its just something that lions do. Learning the actual dynamics behind it later during nomadhood.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 01:31 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 you can't judge them by the other coalitions in the area. Youngest Kambula is older than the oldest NK and the 3 older Kambulas 1+ year older than the 3 younger NK, still NK started roaring at least a month before Kambulas did. The other coalitions are small like Talamatis, and none has an old ex-territorial lion with them.

NK are the biggest coalition, they are 5 strong, with one 10yo male and other who's 4,4yo, remaining being 4yo ( or at least 2 of them ), the Avoca and Matimba bloodlines have examples of lions becoming territorial earlier than the average, sometimes even without a big coalition, sometimes very very early on.

Again, they have roared together with Mohawk a few times. What do you think BDM will do when this keeps happening? 5 lions roaring? They chased 2 NK this time, next time in a few months 5 may be together, will BDM manage to chase them again? Idk, but I often don't bet on the ones with fewer numbers.

Matimbas were the same age NK are right now ( with an older male like Mohawk ) when they took their first territory and started pushing males off even before that; S.Avocas were also giving trouble to territorial lions at 4yo and became dominant before 5 despite being only 2 males. Mbiris were defeating dominant coalitions 2v2 left and right when they were 3 and something years old... NK comes from a lineage that becomes territorial quickly and considering their numbers and the fact they started roaring before the much older and also big coalition Kambulas, tells us everything we need to know: don't expect they'll take as long as an average lion to make a move and you won't be surprised.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(10-04-2023, 12:59 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Duco Ndona I don't think they'd be roaring if they thought they were cubs.

Subs, and even bigger cubs are roaring all the time when pride is roaring.

What exactly certain roars mean we dont know, but those NK boys roars where definetly not challenging roars pointed towards BDMs or S8.

We dont even know context behind it, we only saw 1 male in the dark roaring.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 01:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-04-2023, 01:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 you can't judge them by the other coalitions in the area. Youngest Kambula is older than the oldest NK and the 3 older Kambulas 1+ year older than the 3 younger NK, still NK started roaring at least a month before Kambulas did. The other coalitions are small like Talamatis, and none has an old ex-territorial lion with them.

NK are the biggest coalition, they are 5 strong, with one 10yo male and other who's 4,4yo, remaining being 4yo ( or at least 2 of them ), the Avoca and Matimba bloodlines have examples of lions becoming territorial earlier than the average, sometimes even without a big coalition, sometimes very very early on.

Again, they have roared together with Mohawk a few times. What do you think BDM will do when this keeps happening? 5 lions roaring? They chased 2 NK this time, next time in a few months 5 may be together, will BDM manage to chase them again? Idk, but I often don't bet on the ones with fewer numbers.

Matimbas were the same age NK are right now ( with an older male like Mohawk ) when they took their first territory and started pushing males off even before that; S.Avocas were also giving trouble to territorial lions at 4yo and became dominant before 5 despite being only 2 males. Mbiris were defeating dominant coalitions 2v2 left and right when they were 3 and something years old... NK comes from a lineage that becomes territorial quickly and considering their numbers and the fact they started roaring before the much older and also big coalition Kambulas, tells us everything we need to know: don't expect they'll take as long as an average lion to make a move and you won't be surprised.

You are looking too much into that 1 roaring caught on camera, lions/prides roar pretty much every night.

Their recent encounters with Ndhzengas and BMDs clearly show they are not ready yet.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

(10-04-2023, 01:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 you can't judge them by the other coalitions in the area. Youngest Kambula is older than the oldest NK and the 3 older Kambulas 1+ year older than the 3 younger NK, still NK started roaring at least a month before Kambulas did. The other coalitions are small like Talamatis, and none has an old ex-territorial lion with them. 

Wouldn’t make too much of them roaring together, however their behaviour is definitely changing, just last week some Nkuhuma YMs stayed with the pride whereas 1 or 2 of the others were with Mohawk far North-East and I personally have never heard of them splitting up before, usually when Mohawk is away from the pride he’s with all the YMs or by himself.

( This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 03:27 AM by KM600 )

(10-04-2023, 01:40 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

You are looking too much into that 1 roaring caught on camera, lions/prides roar pretty much every night.

Their recent encounters with Ndhzengas and BMDs clearly show they are not ready yet.
I think the NKs are in a similar situation to Nkuhuma male, where they’re physically more advanced than they seem to believe or realise. Do I think they’re ready for a fight against the 2 BDMs as of rn, I’d say that’s a stretch but they’re big enough to apply some pressure back. As @BA0701 had once mentioned, I think it will just come to them building their experience which is why these run-ins aren’t as bad as they may seem as long as none of them are caught. Also worth noting the recent encounters, have been without Mohawk, I have no doubt Mohawk can become aggressive as he once was as long as the boys back him. This is why I’ve also said going forward I don’t think the BDMs can stay this aggressive, I mean just recently they had an altercation with S8 who was willing to fight one of the males before his brother showed up, I don’t think they can afford to take a risk like this when pursuing Mohawk and the YMs.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

1/2 young females alone on WE, guide mentioned Kambula young males chasing NKs, so they are scattered:

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

(10-07-2023, 11:52 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 1/2 young females alone on WE, guide mentioned Kambula young males chasing NKs, so they are scattered:

Chased them again or are they still separated from the initial interaction?
1 user Likes KM600's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(10-07-2023, 02:23 PM)KM600 Wrote: Chased them again or are they still separated from the initial interaction?

Prob from yesterday.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

3 users Like afortich's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

4 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma males today, one of them roared:

5 users Like Mapokser's post