There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2023, 02:16 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @BA0701 Vets weren't called for Sassy, someone just shot her dead.

This is relatively normal in SS, many lions were shot when the reserve thought they were doomed.

But to call vets to actually help them, it's only if the injury was caused by a bullet, snare or something like that. When they darted Blondie Avoca thinking he was shot in the head they basically said "well it turns out it was a claw injury but since we're here already messing with the wound lets end the treatment and spray the wound, but his limp is a natural occurrence so he'll have to deal with it himself".

I don't believe that some ranger just randomly decided to shoot her, surely that would be grounds for being fired, at the very least. If I recall correctly there were outside groups involved in that incident, but what all that entails is unknown to me, perhaps the decision making process, perhaps to oversee the procedure, I really have no idea. But, I certainly don't believe a lone ranger took it upon himself to make that decision on the spot.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-24-2023, 02:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I don't believe that some ranger just randomly decided to shoot her, surely that would be grounds for being fired, at the very least. If I recall correctly there were outside groups involved in that incident, but what all that entails is unknown to me, perhaps the decision making process, perhaps to oversee the procedure, I really have no idea. But, I certainly don't believe a lone ranger took it upon himself to make that decision on the spot.

Yea, for Sassy, she was behaving "agressive" towards people in cars because of her condition, so they decide to put her down.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Two of Nkuhuma's princes: Ridgenose's son and Chela's son
Pic credit: Sarah Clay

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like lionuk's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(08-31-2023, 04:16 PM)lionuk Wrote: Two of Nkuhuma's princes: Ridgenose's son and Chela's son
Pic credit: Sarah Clay

Have they been seen with Mohawk recently? I believe last sighting was 2 weeks ago.
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-01-2023, 02:12 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Have they been seen with Mohawk recently? I believe last sighting was 2 weeks ago.

All 5 where chased by Ndhzengas few days ago at MalaMala.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

NLAL11 Offline

(09-01-2023, 02:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 02:12 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Have they been seen with Mohawk recently? I believe last sighting was 2 weeks ago.

All 5 where chased by Ndhzengas few days ago at MalaMala.

Any sauce or did you hear it through the gravevine?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-01-2023, 03:12 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Any sauce or did you hear it through the gravevine?

Said by MalaMala on their post, they seen it live.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@BA0701 It wasn't my intention to say someone randomly shot Sassy, but that instead of helping her, they shot her, meaning that the only intervention they do when human-caused injuries aren't on the table, is to shot a lion they judge to be beyond recovery.

So if they think the Nkuhuma lion has a natural injury, they won't help, they would only help if the injury is from a snare. Or if they were to intervene, it'd be to finish the lion off in case they deteriorate beyond any hope.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think they also vaccinate against disasterous pathogens such as Rabbies sometimes. But I think any intervention is on a case by case basis. 
Sometimes they can make judgements based on information we dont have and often they have to make decisions on very limited information.

So you get weird cases like Sassy where we have to speculate why she was put down. And cases like Darkmane, whos life was pretty much over when the buffalo were done with him. But was allowed to live for days. 

I think people also often overestimate how much they really can do. Wild lions cant just be tossed in a cage or seperate enclosure for treatment and recovery like a zoo lion can. So unless you can stitch them up in the field. Euthenasia quickly climbs on the option list if its really bad.

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2023, 12:14 AM by BA0701 )

(09-01-2023, 11:36 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think they also vaccinate against disasterous pathogens such as Rabbies sometimes. But I think any intervention is on a case by case basis. 
Sometimes they can make judgements based on information we dont have and often they have to make decisions on very limited information.

So you get weird cases like Sassy where we have to speculate why she was put down. And cases like Darkmane, whos life was pretty much over when the buffalo were done with him. But was allowed to live for days. 

I think people also often overestimate how much they really can do. Wild lions cant just be tossed in a cage or seperate enclosure for treatment and recovery like a zoo lion can. So unless you can stitch them up in the field. Euthenasia quickly climbs on the option list if its really bad.

If memory serves, I believe Sassy had been persistent in approaching a guide truck, that combined with her gaunt appearance lead to the decision. It was very strange, as we've all seen animals of all sorts approach vehicles, sometimes very aggressively, but I don't recall any being put down as a result. She was still recovering from being severely attacked by the Ximungwes. Unless she was foaming at the mouth or something, her emaciated and injured state, imo, doesn't to justification for euthanasia, so there must have been more to it than what has been said. I have to assume they, at the very least, held a meeting and came to a consensus and someone made the decision. That is what I believe likely happened, with no evidence to support that assumption.

In the DM instance, he was allowed to suffer for an extended period. I undertstand why they do it, but in cases like his I, personally, wish they would intervene, for any animal not just a lion, or even the beloved Dark Mane. There was no benefit for anyone, especially DM, to permit him to linger, when it was so obvious he was not going to recover, with the bubbling around his ribs and from his nose. He had crushed ribs and a punctured lung, at the very least, which is incredibly painful and distressing, the very definition of suffering.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Nkuhumas and Mohawk on Djuma Dam cam, the two groups got confused by each other and Mohawk and the boys chased the pride

9 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator

Video showing the strange interaction between Mohawk and the boys, and the rest of the Nkuhuma Pride that @Tonpa shared images of.

5 users Like BA0701's post

Australia Horizon Online
Moderators

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!!

The Nkuhuma Pride doing what they do best !!!
Amazing to see nature in its raw beauty!

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
8 users Like Horizon's post

Super Moderator

(09-03-2023, 05:55 PM)Horizon Wrote:

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!!

The Nkuhuma Pride doing what they do best !!!
Amazing to see nature in its raw beauty!

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

What did they catch, I could not see what those animals were that they were chasing. I assume either a calf or a warthog, since it was buried entirely under the scrum.
3 users Like BA0701's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(09-03-2023, 06:33 PM)BA0701 Wrote: What did they catch, I could not see what those animals were that they were chasing. I assume either a calf or a warthog, since it was buried entirely under the scrum.
Looks like a zebra foal, pretty sure I saw a striped foreleg.
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post